Dynadot

domains What is the best way to make GoDaddy auctions better?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Last week GoDaddy announced they would be changing how they handle closeouts on GoDaddy auctions. No surprise many are not happy. The pricing structure will be handled in Dutch Auction format. Day 1: $50 Day 2: $40 Day 3: $30 Day 4: $11 Day 5: […]

Continue Reading

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Offer the Godaddy API for all, not just the “select few”

Very shady requirements to qualify for the Godaddy API.

Last edited:
•••
From the article: "I messaged Paul Nicks to ask if API access for closeouts was going away? He told me no, nothing changed on API for closeouts."

Of course the API isn't going away. This industry is not known for having a level playing field.

•••
From the article: "I messaged Paul Nicks to ask if API access for closeouts was going away? He told me no, nothing changed on API for closeouts."

Of course the API isn't going away. This industry is not known for having a level playing field.
what are industries with level playing fields in 2021?

•••
what are industries with level playing fields in 2021?

Ones’ where the industry leader doesn't control more marketshare, than the next 10 companies, combined.

Last edited:
•••
Ones’ where the industry leader doesn't control more marketshare, than the next 10 companies, combined.
specific names?

•••
•••
specific names?
Almost every industry has better parity than Registrar lol.

Only telecommunications is worse IMO.
Gd’s Overlooked,but will give them; brilliant marketers

Last edited:
•••
•••
You make it better by removing the godaddy part

•••
Remove API for all auctions and closeouts. Its the only way to make it fair.

•••
Thanks for including my idea in the post, @equity78

I do understand that all companies need to make money, and probably the new system they are starting Feb 1 will make more money. I am not sure they could not come up with a more radical redesign of the auction that would be a win-win for them and investors though.

This would be on my wishlist.
  1. Most names would go only into a Dutch format auction with no API access for anyone and no disclosure of who has set what pre-bid. Start at GD Appraisal + a bit, and count down continuously in small increments (similar to NameLiquidate).
  2. They have a weekly up auction that is curated, with careful selection of the best names. That be a regular auction, but no API access. Also closer to real identity shown for transparency. It end at a common time, so the event builds some of the excitement of a live auction.
  3. They perhaps increase auction membership prices modestly, but include transfer/renew prices at their discount club rates with membership for names bought at auction. I think this would bring many first-time auction buyers into their ecosystem.
  4. I am not sure of the current situation, but a name never be auctioned prior to the last possibility for the name to be renewed. That is all sales complete, except for few nonpayment I guess.
  5. GD currently advertise heavily in retail markets. GD should start to advertise on NamePros and NameBio their weekly curated up auction. That would be service to domain community, as well as good promotion for them.
  6. I would ideally like to see some system that the long term holder or creator of name get some cut, but hard to see how that could readily be implemented in an expired stream.
Thanks for bringing this topic to more eyes, @equity78 .

This is my free advice, @Joe Styler @Paul Nicks :xf.grin: . Let's win-win.

Bob

•••
Such auctions already exist on other platforms

•••
Let DropCatch win everything, good and bad :)

•••
Back