Dynadot

information GoDaddy to increase closeout starting prices to $50

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Godaddy will be increasing their starting price of closeouts to $50. The pricing structure will go as follows:

Day 1: $50

Day 2: $40

Day 3: $30

Day 4: $11

Day 5: $5

This news is causing a stir in the industry and some are pretty upset. You can read in more detail about the price increase here, courtesy of domainnamewire - GoDaddy to change closeout auction pricing - Domain Name Wire | Domain Name News

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Is there a way to know how many names are being purchased at each price level in closeouts?

•••
Three domains I decided to drop, just sold on GoDaddy Auctions for a total of $1,022 USD.

My acquisition cost last year at the drop for all three - $75 USD - covered my costs with other sales.

Not sure what this says about GD and the auctions platform at the moment.

These are also domains that I have listed here for $20 - $30 BIN

Last edited:
•••
I didn't and not willing to buy a single closeout name since this change went to effect, Wondering how things are working with GoDaddy and the community.

•••
I didn't and not willing to buy a single closeout name since this change went to effect, Wondering how things are working with GoDaddy and the community.

Works for me, but I guess not for everyone.

•••
Works for me, but I guess not for everyone.

The previous version has been great for me but since this change went to effect I've found better alternatives. I would still participate in auctions but no closeouts for me.

Last edited:
•••
This change has actually made me buy more. I've started buying consistently after the change has implemented. So it depends. I didn't expect I would do this but life is always a surprise.

The change raised the price barrier a lot. So now I can find significantly better names; which I'm okay to pay for at that higher price. Previously they were bought quick so i was left with not much worth it. It also obviously makes GD richer, that's the downside.

This move, I think, favors those with a larger budget, willing to pay more for domains that they are definitely sure will sell for an overall profit.

It's much more risky now; if you're not 100% sure what you can sell and how much for. So many domainers have moved out of closeouts - and I definitely understand that.

Last edited:
•••
This change has actually made me buy more. I've started buying consistently after the change has implemented. So it depends. I didn't expect I would do this but life is always a surprise.

The change raised the price barrier a lot. So now I can find significantly better names; which I'm okay to pay for at that higher price. Previously they were bought quick so i was left with not much worth it. It also obviously makes GD richer, that's the downside.

This move, I think, favors those with a larger budget, willing to pay more for domains that they are definitely sure will sell for an overall profit.

It's much more risky now; if you're not 100% sure what you can sell and how much for. So many domainers have moved out of closeouts - and I definitely understand that.

Good point.

I thank this move for one thing that It opened my eyes to explore the market better and try other options.

I know what's in there, Finding names that are worth paying $50 + renewal is a rare case and wouldn't worth the time ( talking about what works for me )

Probably buying via auctions is still an option but the biggest problem is the time shift between them not allowing to scour the whole inventory at a time.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back