IT.COM

question What is holding back demand for NewG's?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Internet.Domains

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
What is holding back demand for NewG's?

Is it lack of end user education? Premium renewals? The ability for renewal prices to skyrocket with no price controls? Something else?

NewG's have been out for a half decade now, yet they still have very little demand. The amount of sales by both monetary and volume metrics show there is little demand.

So what gives? What is holding back the demand for NewG's in mid 2019?

(Disclaimer: I am pro-NewG and own a few. I own enough, not to change a lifestyle, but to gain a better understanding.)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Another point is that the domain investors liquidated, and invested in crypto currencies instead, leading the stagnation we see today.

And all the main registrars legitimized all these crazy extensions making new customers think its normal, and okay to base your business off it.

People are uneducated about the negatives of what it means to NOT have a .com.

Obviously the .ksjdfhasldkj will be cheaper, and most likely be available for them to hand-register or buy for under $100.

I think maybe if cryptos died down tens of billions of dollars would flood back into the domain market, and I think in the future 3-5 years, all random extensions will be obsolete when it costs those businesses many many many times more to advertise online than a .com, because also I think sites with random extensions will be getting hacked more often.

Last edited:
•••

if there is no demand now, then maybe nothing is holding it back.

domainers are majority of first end-users for new.whatevers
and their thirst fuels the speculation, which creates an illusion of desireables, in the reseller market.

there is no demand outside of that market because .com and the rest of the tld's/cctld, are still coveted by the masses.

if anything, the registrars/registries would be biggest obstacle for new dot whatevers,
since they created multistage releases for new extensions and/or holding auctions for premium keywords or premium pricing them, to register and renew.

all that seems counterproductive to getting general public acceptance and usage,
when many of their registration and renewal costs are priced higher, than cost to register and renew a .com

imo...

Last edited:
•••
Yesterday some of GoDaddy brokers has contacted me regarding a plural .online
Doing negotiations in 4F range...

p.s. This is my 1st experience with GD brokers...

•••
People are uneducated about the negatives of what it means to NOT have a .com
Already 10 years I live from domaining only by selling non-.com domains...
What I'm doing wrong???

•••

Is it lack of end user education? Premium renewals? The ability for renewal prices to skyrocket with no price controls? Something else?

NewG's have been out for a half decade now, yet they still have very little demand. The amount of sales by both monetary and volume metrics show there is little demand.

(Disclaimer: I am pro-NewG and own a few. I own enough, not to change a lifestyle, but to gain a better understanding.)
Some of us were telling the story of demand for gTLDs even before it officially started.
You could see it in existing TLDs like .info .biz .mobi .tv .me

While some names where the TLD compliments the Name are always going to be choice names but if you look at it, it ended up the same as the fore-mentioned tld's.
And I'm not expecting any more unless overall names demand triples and there is little chance for that.
If it were not for the speculative investor buying these and holding them, most of them would be flat on their bottom half. And note that I do own a couple of dozen of them. But that is going to be sliced about in half over the coming year. They may be 4% of my total portfolio.
If you think you got a good one and are willing to hold it for 10+ years... go for it. hope you sell it sooner.
No single advise will hold true with all names but you had better be prepared to hold it a long time or for more investors come along for you to dump it on.
There are not but 5% of the future need for the names held out there now.

Last edited:
•••
the brand king always wins....think crypto....
there are over 1500 coins at this point and some have been around 4 years now....why is bitcoin still 60% of the market and the almost the only coin people have heard of.
Same with .com.... most people dont know about Gtlds and large companies always seem to puchase their .com once they have the money. according to this
https://hackernoon.com/how-i-ended-...ins-and-found-this-shocking-fact-baa2cd8096f9
38% of .xyz are listed for resale.
i consolidated most of my coins into btc and I continue to spend good money on good names in King and when I launch a biz I always use king. Im comfortable investing in the King.

never bet against the power of perception. there is a reason we call it KING!

•••
•••
•••
•••
Not sure what you mean but it is simple yeah.
The problem with those articles is that the journalists rarely understand the domain name business or domaining. They don't know what is valuable and what is not. They don't know which new gTLD is doing well and which is not. Grouping all new gTLDs as a single TLD is not a good thing to do. Some of them are doing well and some of them are on not. The Chinese market is also very different to the domain name markets in the rest of the world.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Many such posters usually don't have any practice even here on NamePros... just their own theories and fantasies...

•••
The problem with those articles is that the journalists rarely understand the domain name business or domaining. They don't know what is valuable and what is not. They don't know which new gTLD is doing well and which is not. Grouping all new gTLDs as a single TLD is not a good thing to do. Some of them are doing well and some of them are on not. The Chinese market is also very different to the domain name markets in the rest of the world.

Regards...jmcc
The fact that random extentions are doing well isn’t relevant to the common flaws they all have referenced in the articles I don’t think you read. It’s just a fact .coms are what work best universally, are the most secure, are the most trusted, have the smoothest connection, I mean any one of these is reason enough

•••
•••
The fact that random extentions are doing well isn’t relevant to the common flaws they all have referenced in the articles I don’t think you read.
I do read them and almost invariably the journalists don't understand domain names or the domain name business. Journalists basically concentrate on the top NGTs by volume (TOP/XYZ/LOAN/CLUB etc) and ten extrapolate all their issues to other NGTs. The problem is that the most of the top NGTs are using discounting to drive registrations. Discounted regisrations do not renew well if at all. The new registry management for the old Famous Four Media NGTs (LOAN etc) increased the whole sale fee for domain names last year. The numbers of new registrations in some of these TLDs collapsed from tens of thousands per month to around a hundred per month. The .LOAN is currently in free-fall and will be lucky to make it out of 2019 with approximately 20K registrations. There are some on-topic loan websites in the .LOAN NGT but they are vastly outnumbered by adult affiliate landers and gambling landers.

Some of the other NGTs that haven't used discounting have had better results on renewals. The higher the registration fee, the better the renewal rate. Discounting lowers the renewal rates. When a TLD gets beyond its first few years of operations, it depends more on renewals than new registrations for the bulk of the registry's revenue. Discounting also damages the credibility of a TLD because it attracts dodgy registrations and low quality websites.

It’s just a fact .coms are what work best universally, are the most secure, are the most trusted, have the smoothest connection, I mean any one of these is reason enough
The .COM is still the global TLD but in countries outside the US with a strong local ccTLD, the .COM is the second choice TLD.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Already 10 years I live from domaining only by selling non-.com domains...
What I'm doing wrong???

Everyone sells a lot of non-.COMs (.NET/.ORG, ccTLDs, etc.) but we're referring specifically to new gTLDs.

If you are making a living income reselling these, then good show, but you are in a very tiny minority.

•••
we're referring specifically to new gTLDs.
As of today I sold 12 of them (nTLDs) inbound.
$1K+ per domain on average.
All are standard handregs.

•••
And all within 1st year.

Last edited:
•••
But what are your "purchase + renewal" expenses on your entire new gTLD portfolio?

•••
My expenses are ~3 times below income.

Last edited:
•••
Then with that kind of luck you should be buying lottery tickets, not new gTLDs.

•••
It is not a kind of luck...
I'm a domainer, I'm not a gambler...
I know and understand what I'm doing... it is based on my efforts, skills and experience... and even on IQ level.

Last edited:
•••
All of life is 50% hard work/skill and 50% luck/right place-right time, so if you're making a living selling new gTLDs, then that back-half is really pumping for you.

I meant no disrespect, as you still need that first half to make it all work.

Last edited:
•••
As usual, l have no idea what a spire domaining term means—in this case, New

As usual, l have no idea what a pure domaining term means—in this case NewG, and the post-er doesn’t provide an example.

Yes, l have a zillion stars next to my pic, but I’m a relative newcomer to domaining, as after signing on to NamePros about a dozen years ago, l went on a lengthy sabbatical to help raise a family—and returned to NamePros several months ago.

Oh well, as l tell the students l teach English to, “Show Don’t Tell”! In other words, provide specific examples instead of merely generalizing.

Thanks to all of you members who realize neophytes will be reading your messages!

•••
As usual, l have no idea what a spire domaining term means—in this case, New

As usual, l have no idea what a pure domaining term means—in this case NewG, and the post-er doesn’t provide an example.

Yes, l have a zillion stars next to my pic, but I’m a relative newcomer to domaining, as after signing on to NamePros about a dozen years ago, l went on a lengthy sabbatical to help raise a family—and returned to NamePros several months ago.

Oh well, as l tell the students l teach English to, “Show Don’t Tell”! In other words, provide specific examples instead of merely generalizing.

Thanks to all of you members who realize neophytes will be reading your messages!
Can you please provide an example of exactly what you don't understand?...... Instead of generalizing....Do you not understand a term mentioned? The context?

•••
@Lewstar NewG, nGTLD, new G', gTLD are all just in reference to the new domain extension invasion from 2013 onwards.. for example:

.xxx
.kitchen
.gripe
.car
.suck

and over a thousand more, many of which are practically useless, and more to come. The acronym "gTLD" stands for Generic Top-Level Domain. Although technically if we just use gTLD without being prefaced by "new" it may also encompass the legacy extensions as well, .coms and .nets etc., because they are also generic. It is the "New" or the "N" that separates the invaders from the established settlements.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back