IT.COM

What is going on with GoDaddy renewal prices?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dag

Senior MemberVIP Member
Impact
I just went to renew a few domains at GoDaddy, and I've got three different prices, all for .COM domains, in my cart! One, an L-L-L.com, is $9.78 (with a note below it saying "45% off"); another, a two-word keyword type of .COM, is $17.99; and a third, a decent LLLL.com, is $12.24 (with a note saying "31% off")!

Since when are they pricing renewals based on domain quality? That's the only explanation I can think of, and that just seems extremely wrong to me. And second of all, since when is their standard price $17.99? I just renewed some a few weeks ago, and they were certainly not that high.

Anyone else getting this sort of thing?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
UPDATE: So apparently I let my Discount Domain Club lapse, which explains the not-so-good pricing, but that still doesn't explain the varied renewal pricing if you don't happen to use the DDC.

•••
Domain renewal prices at GoDaddy are astronomical when compared to many other registrars.
@Joe Styler I know this question can look weird, out of place and ridiculous, but can you please reduce the domain renewal prices across the board on GoDaddy ?
This may help to reduce the number of domain transfers out of GoDaddy and benefit the customers while doing so.
I know that it doesn't look profitable on paper, but if customers don't transfer out, you will actually make more money :$:, you want that to happen, don't you ?

Last edited:
•••
They have a monopoly. Sooner or later, it will hurt. Stop charging $17.99 a year for .com renewals... That’s more than twice, most registrars, and I’m not paying annually for GD “discount club...” any longer! Most offer .com renewals, for less than half ($8.xx)

Most registrars have FREE privacy included
(Godaddy charges $9.99 extra annually!)

Questionable business model, from the domain king. Not a hit job, you guys probably the best for auctions
still not worth payingdiscount club or regular renewal

Last edited:
•••
They have a monopoly. Sooner or later, it will hurt. Stop charging $17.99 a year for .com renewals... that’s more than twice, most registrars, and I’m not paying annually for GD “discount club...” any longer! Most offer .com renewals, for less than half ($8.xx)

Most registrars have FREE privacy included (Godaddy charges $9.99 extra annually!)

Questionable business model, from the domain king. Not a hit job, you guys probably the best for auctions but still not worth paying disc club or regular renewal

Indeed.
Domain privacy pricing at Godaddy should be a third of that price or even free like many other registrars.

•••
They have to charge so much for renewals and privacy in order to fund their incredibly fast and helpful support departments.

•••
They have to charge so much for renewals and privacy in order to fund their incredibly fast and helpful support departments.

GoDaddy probably make more than enough from all the different products they sell.
If I had to guess, they probably make multi millions USD every month just from their website hosting plans.
I'm not worried about them :-D

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back