Dynadot

discuss What domain registrars are better alternatives to GoDaddy (company)?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am going to try namesilo.

Last edited:
•••
Just to say thank you to Rob. The link he provided doesn't exactly give you the NamePros rate. It gets you a $10 .com registration rate. But a quick PM to Rob gave me the NamePros $8.49 rate in just a few minutes. Really appreciated the deal AND the quick response.
If you sign up with:

http://www.epik.com/?affid=fi6gu9da4

And then log back in, you should get the NamePros rate automatically.

•••

I have been looking for an alternative to godaddy us well and have come to the conclusion there is none (for a domainer anyways). The sheer size of the godaddy auction, the amount of expiring domains, they have most extensions, almost everyone has a godaddy account for easy pushes, web hosting, email. They pretty well do it all.

I said they pretty well do it all but they do anything particularly well. The interfaces looks like the early 90 revisited and links can be cumbersome to find.

However all that aside, there is nobody with as much sheer power and volume as godaddy. Most of the domains I buy get pushed through GoDaddy. I keep 300 domains at my registrar but anything I buy mostly enters through godaddy. I keep it there until renewal because I can get cheaper renewals but if I can ever get them to price match 10 bucks on a .ca then I am sooo there.

•••
My 2 cents as a domainer:

Price is only 1 factor I care about when choosing a registrar. I also want

1. The ability to consolidate and manage my domains in fewer places
2. Good customer service
3. Security (2-factor authentication)
4. Painless UX for setting up forwarding, editing contact info, etc.
5. Handy filters for browsing my own inventory
6. A company my end user buyers will enjoy working with
7. Aftermarket tools for selling my domains

If a registrar's only selling point is a cheap price, that seems great ... until you get zero support, can't find what you're looking for, waste time getting auth codes or changing contacts 1 domain at a time for 500+ domains, waste time managing your portfolio across 10-20 registrars, and miss out on extra ways to SELL.

•••
•••
The reason for the differentiated pricing between domainers and end-users is that our mission is to help domain investors get domains into the hands of end-users. When a domain investor sells a domain to an end-user, we gain an end-user. This is why domain investors get a free ride -- full-service, industry-leading end-to-end platform, legendary support, all with domains at cost. In other words, the end-users fund the innovation and service.

Such intelligence rarely seen. I have been convinced to switch register!

•••
I think Domain.com n Namesilo

•••
Give OnlineNIC a try. Great registrar!

•••
I'm very happy with NameSilo and highly recommend them. They provide free whois privacy. They provide a Marketplace where you can sell domains and I've sold many with them. Their support is fantastic. I do wish they promoted the marketplace more (on the front page - and perhaps advertise on other sites). But overall, I've never had a better registrar.

•••
A series of thumb up for NameSilo for sure.

Uniregistry very very clean and effective UX.

Epik good but site can be slow at times and filters are not the best.

Dynadot probably one of the best registrar out there but not the cheapest.

NameBright really built for domainers/investors. Only downside...same owner as HD.

•••
for .com sale of $3.99 try DirectNIC

Cheers
Corey

•••
•••
•••
Is this the same DirectNIC which wouldn't allow you to transfer your domains away in the past?

dunno, sale is over now anyways

•••
None - Period. (of course I may be a little biased) but I think we have excellent service and the world's best platform for picking up valuable names (expired auctions) and getting them in front of end user buyers through Afternic.com. No offense to my many friends at the other companies. Each company has it's own strengths and weaknesses so choose one that will work best for you, but in the end I hope it's us and that we can continue to work to make it better for everyone using us.

•••
Last edited:
•••
None - Period. (of course I may be a little biased) but I think we have excellent service and the world's best platform for picking up valuable names (expired auctions) and getting them in front of end user buyers through Afternic.com. No offense to my many friends at the other companies. Each company has it's own strengths and weaknesses so choose one that will work best for you, but in the end I hope it's us and that we can continue to work to make it better for everyone using us.

I was wondering if Godaddy would respond

I'm not the biggest fan of Godaddy but I liked your response to this thread

great response, very classy way of responding to criticism, scrutiny

Other companies take notice; this is how you avoid any potential nightmare PR

Last edited:
•••
Apart from the ones already mentioned in the topic, I'm a fan of Porkbun. Simple interface and simple prices. Never ran into any issues with them. I'd say Uniregistry has a bit more polish and Godaddy has more marketing power with direct push transfers - so it really depends on what you're looking for and what you're willing to pay for that.
Porkbun? See, that's clever marketing right there. What a tasty name to choose for a business. Just thinking about visiting the site is enough to make someone salivate.

•••
As long as the price is right, I think security of your domain names is the most important issue. It takes a lot of time and effort to regain a name when a registrar loses it for you, and you don't always get it back. This is why I'm moving to name silo. I'll also put some info about the security of domain name registrations on a site once I've got through the UK political changes. I think security is so important that I arranged for registrants to use the promo code SECURE to get a discount of $1 on their first registration with Name Silo

•••
I hardly see namesilo sales On namebio. Are they selling at all?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back