Dynadot

legal Lawsuit alleges CostaRica.com domain name stolen

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

deez007

The More I Learn The Less I "Know"Top Member
Impact
Domain name was stolen last year, suit alleges.

costarica.jpg

Lawsuit alleges this is a hot property.

CostaRica.com, Inc. has filed a lawsuit alleging that the domain name CostaRica.com is stolen.
The company filed the in rem action in U.S. District Court in Virginia, where Verisign is located.

Read Full Article Here:
http://domainnamewire.com/2016/11/28/lawsuit-alleges-costarica-com-domain-name-stolen/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
how is this even possible? how does something this happen? are we talking about people accessing our registrar accounts manually? That's a scary thought especially with some of us having hundreds if not thousands of domains.

•••
I have had 2 good domain names taken by the G giant over the years in their site. Never lost any in my own reseller account hostnhub.com
You have to be realistic. Not everyone who works at those data bases and have server access is 100% honest and trust worthy. You have seen it in your own work place. People steal from the company and take it home. Temptation is too much for them. I phoned about one the other day. The answer they gave me is that I never owned it ever. Still sitting in my control panel though. I can do nothing with it. They took over DNS control and locked me out. Just about laughable. You can clearly see that I had it. I just use my own account now and hope a different person runs the server.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I've had instances before where I "Swear" I owned a domain. Then upon randoming checking it via whois. It shows a different owner. Since when I hand reg domains. I usually find a niche and roll with it so I look at my other similar niche domains and they are all registered on the same date. I check that date vs the date on the domain in question and 9 times out of 10 I see the domain was registered years ago prior to me registering it. if I had registered it in the first place.

so seeing this I just leave it as "it's all in my head" and I thought I had registered it. oh well!

But could thieves or registrars alike "fudge" the whois data somehow? and make a domain that was stolen yesterday look like it's been registered 10 years ago? or 2 years ago?

oh and almost always these domains have privacy on them too. perfect way to hide if say a registrar rep decided to steal your domain right from under your nose.

I have heard registrar reps mention that they too register domains themselves. so you know they on their "breaks" can easily check out what domains you are checking out or "Tasting"

Last edited:
•••
Definitely some scary stuff indeed... hmmm I wonder if any of the registrars have job openings...bwhahah I could probably work for 3 months there and hijack a small fortune...lol

•••
Definitely some scary stuff indeed... hmmm I wonder if any of the registrars have job openings...bwhahah I could probably work for 3 months there and hijack a small fortune...lol

:xf.grin:

•••
•••

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lol

•••
I have had 2 good domain names taken by the G giant over the years in their site. Never lost any in my own reseller account hostnhub.com
You have to be realistic. Not everyone who works at those data bases and have server access is 100% honest and trust worthy. You have seen it in your own work place. People steal from the company and take it home. Temptation is too much for them. I phoned about one the other day. The answer they gave me is that I never owned it ever. Still sitting in my control panel though. I can do nothing with it. They took over DNS control and locked me out. Just about laughable. You can clearly see that I had it. I just use my own account now and hope a different person runs the server.

Wait wait so you are a domain and hosting reseller ? Is that lucrative or what ? And you are saying that because you are a reseller and are registering your own domains that it can't be stolen?

Also I gotta ask. As a reseller do you get better discounts for domains you register for yourself?

Sounds like an "opportunity" to me if that's the case. Tired of waiting for these registrar specials that end too quick in a hot minute.

•••
I registered an emoji (.ws) on GoDaddy. The next day, they said it was incorrectly placed in my account, took it out, but gave me a $25 credit + refund. A week later, I checked the whois and it still showed the exact day I registered it as the creation date. Therefore, I believe they took it, but actually paid me for it with the credit. I have the emails from them, still.

•••
What a crockpot! I swear! Over priced and thieves. And weren't they guilty a little while back for FRONTRUNNING?

•••
I registered an emoji (.ws) on GoDaddy. The next day, they said it was incorrectly placed in my account, took it out, but gave me a $25 credit + refund. A week later, I checked the whois and it still showed the exact day I registered it as the creation date. Therefore, I believe they took it, but actually paid me for it with the credit. I have the emails from them, still.
Here is the exact email from them. The domain was a thumbs up emoji domain. Lookup Whois for the domain and it shows the date of 10/31 as creation date (when I registered it) and 11/1 as last update date (when they confiscated it from me).
--------------

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in registering xn--8y8h.ws. We are reaching out to let you know this domain has been removed from your account because it was unfortunately awarded to you in error.

We understand this is not an ideal situation and would like to apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

We realize more than just our apology is needed, so we have placed a $25 credit on your GoDaddy account that you may use for additional domain registrations (including other available emoji .WS domains) or product purchases. We are also in the process of refunding your original purchase.

We appreciate your understanding.

Kindest Regards,

ccTLD Team
GoDaddy

Last edited:
•••
What a crockpot! I swear! Over priced and thieves. And weren't they guilty a little while back for FRONTRUNNING?
We don't frontrun you're thinking of another unnamed company.

•••
Here is the exact email from them. The domain was a thumbs up emoji domain. Lookup Whois for the domain and it shows the date of 10/31 as creation date (when I registered it) and 11/1 as last update date (when they confiscated it from me).
--------------

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in registering xn--8y8h.ws. We are reaching out to let you know this domain has been removed from your account because it was unfortunately awarded to you in error.

We understand this is not an ideal situation and would like to apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

We realize more than just our apology is needed, so we have placed a $25 credit on your GoDaddy account that you may use for additional domain registrations (including other available emoji .WS domains) or product purchases. We are also in the process of refunding your original purchase.

We appreciate your understanding.

Kindest Regards,

ccTLD Team
GoDaddy
Looks like it was registered by someone else a few hours before you registered it. Sometimes technical issues happen and we do our best to make it right.

•••
We don't frontrun you're thinking of another unnamed company.

Then GoDaddy better find those sites that said this and correct them or at least sue them for slander

•••
Looks like it was registered by someone else a few hours before you registered it. Sometimes technical issues happen and we do our best to make it right.

I'm surprised that, Go Daddy doesn't offer some sort of insurance for premium keyword domains. What other assets in any class of goods and services selling for 6-8 figures can't be insured?

•••
A thumbs up emoji. You think that might be valuable??? Lol. Worth more than $25, I would think.
It wasn't the best thumbs up, but it is still on my phone.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back