Dynadot

discuss What domain registrars are better alternatives to GoDaddy (company)?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
dynadot
namesilo
internetbs

•••
I would also say Dynadot and NameSilo. I'm not so sure about InternetBS. They are know to harbor a lot of spammers due to their location. And to me, the Control Panel is far from the best.

I've heard good stuff about Epik. but never used them.

One of the best control panels is Uniregistry, but prices are not the cheapest, IMHO.

Actually. It's a hard question to answer. Better in which way? There is no registrar which is better at everything. Even a beginner or experience domainer might have differing opinions of the same registrar.

Last edited:
•••
internetbs for some cctld that are not on dynadot & namesilo, but I have exactly the same review a Stub regarding them.

•••
I was going to sign up for Epik because I have heard nothing but good things but then I saw it was $35 to renew your .com (.com Registration at Epik are $10 per year for as many years as you want but when it comes time to renew that's a whooole lotta money outta your wallet. )

Their service is excellent, Everything A+ top notch, and I have yet to see one angry Epik customer but pricing is on the high side.

You think Uniregistry's pricing is on the high side? It's only $10.88 to renew a .com compared to epik's $35.

NameSilo only charges $8.99 for .com renewals with no hidden fees, service upselling, or renewal fees.

I'm currently with Godaddy and strongly considering leaving them because of their outrageous $15 .com renewal fee.

I'd go with NameSilo.

Last edited:
•••
I think NamePros members get a very special rate. You should try a search

•••
I like namesilo. Cheaper for hand reg's and they don't lock you for additional 60 days if you change your own details such as email address associated to your account.

I've just noticed all my GD domains are locked till next month because I changed from my personal email to business.

•••
Under new 60 lock rules you are allowed to opt out. Personally I think it's there to decrease scams and charge backs. Dynadot Silo Namecheap open srs are some good choices as alternatives to godaddy.

•••

I saw someone somewhere else post something similar to that and thought he was being sarcastic. Awesome! I may have finally found a new home for all my domains. This promotion might help me finally pull the trigger.

But I think knowledge of this promotion is esoteric.. Saying "you should try a search" makes you sound a tad condescending, when I am truly appreciative!

Last edited:
•••
@Xabial - It wasn't meant like that at all. You can do a search as easily as I can do the search. Is all I meant by that remark.

•••
@Xabial - It wasn't meant like that at all. You can do a search as easily as I can do the search. Is all I meant by that remark.

Np! I probably wouldnt be so sensitive if it wasnt 7AM :xf.grin:

•••
•••
You should get some sleep :)

LoL I'm just not a morning person. But I have to get up and be productive. (in this case learn more about Domains because there is always much more to learn)

Last edited:
•••
I was going to sign up for Epik because I have heard nothing but good things but then I saw it was $35 to renew your .com (.com Registration at Epik are $10 per year for as many years as you want but when it comes time to renew that's a whooole lotta money outta your wallet. )

Their service is excellent, Everything A+ top notch, and I have yet to see one angry Epik customer but pricing is on the high side.

You think Uniregistry's pricing is on the high side? It's only $10.88 to renew a .com compared to epik's $35.

NameSilo only charges $8.99 for .com renewals with no hidden fees, service upselling, or renewal fees.

I'm currently with Godaddy and strongly considering leaving them because of their outrageous $15 .com renewal fee.

I'd go with NameSilo.

I have sent this link and comment to Rob Monster to verify .

•••

I'd go with NameSilo.

It is $8.49 for NamePros users. Just contact [email protected] after creating your account, or sign up with this link:

http://www.epik.com/?affid=fi6gu9da4

Membership has its privileges.

There is also a $8.10 option but you have to fund your account via bank transfer or BTC.

All rates are full-service and all-inclusive.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Internet.bs is good, so is Namesilo - which has its own marketplace offering payment plans to buyers.

I have heard Uniregistry give a competitive discount if you ask - I haven't, but their interface is nice and they have a marketplace.

Afaik the Dynadot marketplace only pays out in account credit, and if you are thinking of using Dynadot you should read about the potential account lock issues; https://www.namepros.com/threads/dynadot-refusing-to-unlock-account-what-are-my-options.824770/

•••
So far I have been very happy with NameSilo.

•••

Correct -- here is the NamePros deal:

The reason for the differentiated pricing between domainers and end-users is that our mission is to help domain investors get domains into the hands of end-users. When a domain investor sells a domain to an end-user, we gain an end-user. This is why domain investors get a free ride -- full-service, industry-leading end-to-end platform, legendary support, all with domains at cost. In other words, the end-users fund the innovation and service.

Be on the lookout for some very exciting news next week -- the first major joint project as a result of Epik and Undeveloped since the acquisition. Gamechanger.

•••
Internet.bs is good, so is Namesilo - which has its own marketplace offering payment plans to buyers.

I have heard Uniregistry give a competitive discount if you ask - I haven't, but their interface is nice and they have a marketplace.

Afaik the Dynadot marketplace only pays out in account credit, and if you are thinking of using Dynadot you should read about the potential account lock issues; https://www.namepros.com/threads/dynadot-refusing-to-unlock-account-what-are-my-options.824770/

I think a lot of those account locking issues you had was simply because you refused to give them a copy of your photo ID. Which you very carefully did not say you didn't have, but instead posted a hypothetical question many people don't have and are not required to have any photo IDs. That maybe true. But in almost every country in the world has some kind of photo id are used, you have passports, driving licenses and a whole host of other official photo ids. DU also posted a list of other ID's which are normally acceptable. You could even renew your domains. So there no danger of actual loss of your domains. But anyway. After a long story, it was all sorted out, and was a salutary tale about keeping control of your own registrar accounts instead of assigning them to employees.

I had an even worse encounter with GoDaddy. I asked, after being incorporated, if it was ok to use my corporate name as my account name. My Account Manager, said GoDaddy didn't care less about what I put as my Account Name. Everything still worked fine until I needed and did renew my personal credit card. Then all hell broke loose because my payment method was personal and my Account name was incorporate. They blocked me entirely from my account and told me it would NEVER EVER be re-opened (about 5 times). They were asking me the same sort of questions Dynadot asked you. I even sent them my incorporation certificate, the list of shareholders with shareholdings. None of these were acceptable. They wanted a document signed by the offshore country of origin, like a passport or driving license from a country I had never even visited. they were asking for documents which simply didn't exist. It had gone past all hope I'd see any of my GoDaddy domains again (about 300 at the time). I'd actually resigned myself to the loss, when my last appeal, after my previous very last final appeal had been turned down. Somebody got some sense and gave me back my account. I can tell you. It was an almighty shock and relief.

I think you basically made a rod for your own back by refusing to send in a photo ID. Whereas I asked GoDaddy specifically, if I could do what I did and they'd said yes. Only to ignore totally what I'd agreed with my previous Account Manager, as soon as my personal credit card didn't match my Account Name. Do I still use GoDaddy? Yes. Do I keep my domains at GoDaddy? No. Do I register any domains at GoDaddy? No. Do I transfer my domains out as soon as the 60 days are up? Yes. Do i have any good words to say about GoDaddy? Not a lot. But I take my hat off to my Account Manager who stuck by me through all the decisions being made by these faceless bureaucrats, calling all the shots.

Last edited:
•••
I think a lot of those account locking issues you had...

You don't know what did or did not happen to me. The thread I linked to was started by someone who could not recover their business domain due to the account lock - which occurs after one failed submission of the secret question. Nor was that the only person or thread reporting that issue.

Anyone thinking of using Dynadot should read that thread carefully to understand the risks
https://www.namepros.com/threads/dynadot-refusing-to-unlock-account-what-are-my-options.824770/

Some of the same issues come up there that come up with Escrow.com demanding photo IDs.

•••
Apart from the ones already mentioned in the topic, I'm a fan of Porkbun. Simple interface and simple prices. Never ran into any issues with them. I'd say Uniregistry has a bit more polish and Godaddy has more marketing power with direct push transfers - so it really depends on what you're looking for and what you're willing to pay for that.

•••
@carob - That's true, but I can 100% speculate :)

•••
It is $8.49 for NamePros users. Just contact [email protected] after creating your account, or sign up with this link:

Membership has its privileges.

There is also a $8.10 option but you have to fund your account via bank transfer or BTC.

All rates are full-service and all-inclusive.

Just to say thank you to Rob. The link he provided doesn't exactly give you the NamePros rate. It gets you a $10 .com registration rate. But a quick PM to Rob gave me the NamePros $8.49 rate in just a few minutes. Really appreciated the deal AND the quick response.

•••
NameBright - $8.03 for first year.. if you prefund your account..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back