IT.COM

discuss What does it take to be as good as DNgear and Rick?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
When I look at sales from DNgear, I can't believe my eyes. Someone doing 5-figure sales in .xyz is something I could never believe. I still can't! And yet she does it all the time. Now, I do understand that she must have invested half a million dollars to build a portfolio that is generating 5-figures every month but still. Here are some of here sales from this week:

dnGearsale.png

I read a post on NamePros that .xyz was running a promo for $0.01 per domain name and someone purchase 10,000 domain names for $100, thinking that even 1 sale would make the investment profitable. But that sale never happened.
Now I don't know what those 10,000 names were, but even the poorest investor would have a slight chance and 1 sale if the extension had some value. And here we are, seeing DNgear doing rounds after rounds of sale.

This brings me to the topic of the day:

She is a visionary just like Rick Schwartz was, during his time, scooped up some good names and held them for 20 years. Now DNgear did the same thing in 201x and 2020s by identifying an extension, identifying some value she can offer, making a big bet and making it a reality!! Same was done by Mike Mann! A big bet. And big bet requires confidence and belief!

There are things that these visionaries do, which makes them take such a bet! I think it is more than research. Not sure what it is but something sets them apart. And the sales are just a by-product.

What is your opinion on this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Drive, learning from mistakes, belief in your way, drive, drive.

•••
Industry know how, the best names, deep pockets, drive as stated above. And absolutely, connections.

•••
Keep in mind that while big sales are great, you need to know the complete financial picture of an investor's portfolio before knowing if you should attempt to mirror their methods.

•••
To me .xyz was always a big thing, I was all-in when it was released, it just didn't take off as fast as some people thought It would, Including me, and its why I don't have as many premium xyz domains left. I still have P O C K E T, so if it sells you guys will be first to know if im allowed to say it. I think it also has a lot to do with trust. Remember xyz is like a start-up, at the heart of it at least.

Last edited:
•••
•••
There's really no mystery here, you invest in great names and they tend to sell. .XYZ seems to be ripe at the moment, and .com is, well, .com. Everything else other than the obvious (short+memorable, + extension), there is a multitude of factors most relevant are probably foresight + timing.

Odds are always better with a massive portfolio and seeing these sales shouldn't give credence to riding coat-tails. A smaller portfolio with quality names just takes more time.

•••
Keep in mind that while big sales are great, you need to know the complete financial picture of an investor's portfolio before knowing if you should attempt to mirror their methods.

Especially when going over Mike Mann’s,

Mann needs millions to get even on renewals.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
There's really no mystery here, you invest in great names and they tend to sell. .XYZ seems to be ripe at the moment, and .com is, well, .com. Everything else other than the obvious (short+memorable, + extension), there is a multitude of factors most relevant are probably foresight + timing.

Odds are always better with a massive portfolio and seeing these sales shouldn't give credence to riding coat-tails. A smaller portfolio with quality names just takes more time.

Timed entry is definitely key.

I can’t see the attraction of .XYZ names when decentralised Web3 Domains are obviously gaining traction.

It’s Web3 vs .com

Last edited:
•••
Comparing Rick and DNGear is kind of misleading clickbait. They don’t have remotely the same strategies, story or portfolios.

We all need to find our own individual winning strategies based on many factors like money, risk level comfort, size of portfolio, industry knowledge. There is no cookie cutter path to success by trying to copy other domainers while a big chunk still do the copycatting thing.

Blaze your own path. DNGear did it and Rick did it but that doesn’t mean we can or should copy their moves.

•••
You need to believe in your product.

•••
Think a lot the necessary elements have been mentioned above

I'll throw 4: Knowledge, enthusiasm (a love for what you do), money ...and timing

•••
If any of us truly knew, we would be up the mountain ourselves.

It's a learning process and journey...

Last edited:
•••
•••
You need something like this to have their success. :D

Last edited:
•••
Another thing is to follow your (hopefully realistic) believes and not listen TOO much to others. Sometimes, you'll have to take risks to become successful.

One example:

The .xyz domain was a laughingstock to so many domainers a few years back. Not so much anymore, I guess.

During the mid 90s, few people thought that investing in .com would be a wise thing. Still, there were a few hundred people who decided to jump on that train back then. The ones who persisted for two decades are multi-millionaires by now. .Xyz is not .com, but it is obvious that the ones who invested in many good .xyz's can generate impressive profits.

•••
but it is obvious that the ones who invested in many good .xyz's can generate impressive profits.
I would clarify that we know .xyz names can generate impressive sales. Unless I'm mistaken, no one has shown proof of impressive profits yet.

I could be mistaken, though. I'd be very interested in seeing a complete breakdown from anyone who has been profitable selling these names.

•••
Timed entry is definitely key.

I can’t see the attraction of .XYZ names when decentralised Web3 Domains are obviously gaining traction.

It’s Web3 vs .com
Decentralized horeshit will continue to be a pipe dream

•••
Can't agree more! But I am saying that taking such a bet in itself, and then being right about it is a big thing! And they seem to have done it, no matter the profits or the losses.

But making that massive portfolio at a time when things are unclear or the extension is new, or in 1990s and holding for 20 years is a vision and that is what is important, which I think is a big quality

•••
Back