IT.COM

What Do You Think of GoDaddy's New "Black" Look?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I've noticed that GoDaddy is slowly moving from a Green look to a Black theme, as the browser "G" icon is now Black and all my login screens are also Black.

Personally, I am not liking the vibe, as in terms of color impact, Black spells death and decay, while Green evokes growth and money, which in my opinion, is at least part of the reason for GoDaddy's rise.

I am really not liking it, and this a visceral reaction to the change, like someone turned off the lights.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Like most of GoDaddy's updates, I would say bad to worse!

•••
BLACK.

Positive: Sophistication, glamour, security, emotional safety, efficiency, substance.
Negative: Oppression, coldness, menace, heaviness.

Black is all colours, totally absorbed. The psychological implications of that are considerable. It creates protective barriers, as it absorbs all the energy coming towards you, and it enshrouds the personality. Black is essentially an absence of light, since no wavelengths are reflected and it can, therefore be menacing; many people are afraid of the dark. Positively, it communicates absolute clarity, with no fine nuances. It communicates sophistication and uncompromising excellence and it works particularly well with white. Black creates a perception of weight and seriousness.
(c) colour-affects.co.uk

Associated with power, elegance, formality, death, evil, and mystery.
A mysterious color associated with fear and the unknown (black holes).
Usually has a negative connotation (blacklist, black humor, ‘black death’).
Denotes strength and authority; it is considered to be a very formal, elegant, and prestigious color.
The symbol of grief.
(c) colorpsychology.org

With all due respect to GD designers, black may not be the best style for a domain registrar operating worldwide...

•••
The new icon looks a lot like the one Epik has used for years!?!?!

•••
Wow, they are really going AC/DC on the Back in Black theme, and it's actually quite startling to login and see changes every day or two - some pages it's like I've gone color-blind.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back