Domain Empire

question What Do You Think Makes A Successful Domainer?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DanBingham

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Someone that started 20 years ago.

•••
Honesty, Dedication, Passion, Never give up!

•••
•••
investing in what actually sells, not investing in what you hope might someday possibly sell

•••
Only one thing defines a successful domainer..

Sales..

•••
Only one thing defines a successful domainer..

Sales..

I think it's profit. Selling gives you profit but no capital gain. Investing gives you income and capital gain.

Of course you need to be able to find good names, and aquire them for a reasonable price.

•••
and kept his names.:)

that's the difficult bit for some newbies to do tho as some start off with limited $'s and whilst its good to buy a few domains to start off with its realising that when the renewals are due a newbie has to increase investment each year to continue paying renewals and continuing to invest in further good quality domains as and when they become available

•••
investing in what actually sells, not investing in what you hope might someday possibly sell

good point because its all well and good buying the next trend or future emerging market in .com but that may be 10 or 20 years off which means 20 renewals down the road

•••
When you look back at your sales and development and see what you've created over the years. :)

•••
Perspicacity, self-questioning, inquisitiveness, individualism, but above all these perhaps the willingness to invest time and effort in learning how domains can be used and utilized by end-users to interact with the public, and then having the patience to wait until others realise the same.

•••
mind you i wouldn't know as i have yet to sell a domain name but to be fair i couldn't sell ice creams on a hot day but Im prepared to sit and wait and either one of two things will happen - eg the right buyer will want to buy one of my domains or i will let a few of my domains expire and i will see what they went for on dnpric.es in the years to come

•••
•••
which is why you should look at monetising the names. If you reg a name for $9, add in a nominal $1 as part of a bulk hosting deal, and you can earn $12 from the name, then you can keep the name forever, and hope it will appreciate. ( all figures are annual of course). That's rock bottom, and you should probably sell that name if you have other more profitable ones.

•••
Let's be real.. profit is the only measuring stick of success when it comes to domaining.

So if you're patient, honest, dedicated and passionionate, but have no sales, that's a success?

Success = Profit = Income > Expenses

Last edited:
•••
Let's be real.. profit is the only measuring stick of success when it comes to domaining.

So if you're patient, honest, dedicated and passionionate, but have no sales, that's a success?

Success = Profit = Income > Expenses
I think he was asking what are the attributes that make a successful domainer not what a successful domainer is.

•••
In that case, some of the most successful domainers in the world are none of the attributes listed in this thread! :laugh:

There are some tough characters in this biz.

•••
•••
I think he was asking what are the attributes that make a successful domainer not what a successful domainer is.
Agreed.

•••
It cracks me up to see people post what a great ROI on the sale of one name, when they have thousands in there portfolio, My answer would be profit, on whole portfolio, not necessarily in one year, sometimes it takes years for emerging market names to sell, but overall if you aren't profiting then why do this.
Joe T

•••
Money, smarts & dedication.

In that order.

•••
A successful domainer to me means someone who knows the business very well and makes a steady income from it.

•••
Someone who knows how to hustle. That can network and play connect the dots. Also knows to buy right.

•••
They are different measures of success. From making more than u invested, to living off it etc

My goal and personal definition would be, someone who can live full time off domaining, and whatever it takes to get there. Risk, sacrifice, hardwork, research, innovation and vision are key!

Oh and I must add perseverance. Because this determines who lasts. It shows who truly loves domaining. I call it inventing. You are coming up with ideas for business and brands.. Not just buying domains

Last edited:
•••
What Do You Think Makes A Successful Domainer?

having or gaining the ability, to find what works for you and the ability to continue doing that, over the course of your involvement.

imo....

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back