IT.COM

discuss What do you look for when buying a domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

lknights1987

Established Member
Impact
Apart from the name, of course, what else do you look for when buying a domain to sell?
And do you use any tools/websites for your research before buying the domain?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Thanks nick for the link. Other then comparing domain sales prices what else do buyers look for ?
Backlinks , age , cost per click or doesn’t this matter ?

•••
I have loads of tools for webmasters over my sites i generally try to buy a name i would be happy to be stuck with. Can you see vision in your end user wanting it before you purchase. Is it really of commercial value? What research did you do? I still hold rubbish and cull often.

Last edited:
•••
I am new to this business so still learning. When I first started I thought it was all about the name but now I'm beginning to think that its not just about the name there is more to the domain that people look for when buying it like how many backlinks does it come with and what has it been used for in the past.

•••
I am new to this business so still learning. When I first started I thought it was all about the name but now I'm beginning to think that its not just about the name there is more to the domain that people look for when buying it like how many backlinks does it come with and what has it been used for in the past.
Dont' get too hung up on backlinks when buying unless you have a use for the traffic before it dries up. Make you you actually check if your going this route as loads of fake rankings in popular expired listings. I have sites that you can surf around and submit for thousands of back links.

•••
•••
Is it really of commercial value?

That seems to be the biggest 'Missed-aspect' these days.

The "I liked it" -
'Godaddy said it was worth'
"I think it would be good for"
"somebody else is using"
"All the other Tlds are taken"
"originally registered in 1066" (Battle of Hastings)

Has taken over, So OP It's probably best to start with all the 'What Not to do' then hopefully you can move on from there

Last edited:
•••
Mostly i considers age, lenght, number of potential end users attached to the primary and secondary keywords, availability of other tlds.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back