IT.COM

discuss What do you do with your expiring soon names to recover some of their costs?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

alcy

Top Member
Impact
this is obviously the million dollar question that keeps many domainers awake at nite (jk)... some try to salvage at least a couple dollars off their registration cost by auctioning their expired or soon expiring names here on np... others may run some dynadot auctions (I think there you have to post min 30 days before domain expires)... or maybe on gd auctions... and others do other stuff...

feel free to post or discuss here your methods of recovering at least some money from a domain thats expiring soon... i've watched many of my domains (at my max i had arund 4k names... now around 1500 and plan to go lower) just expire.... in my case it meant losing regfees... as 99% of my names are basically expired lists handregs... but even this means 10$ for com org etc... and sometimes it means $30 per domain for .io.. of which I had/have a solid quantity and am a big fan.

so.... share what you do with your expiring names.. or do you just watch them leave and do nothing... ;)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I personally don't do anything about those.

Let them die in peace and re-incarnate in another investor's portfolio ))

That said, nowadays I don't let many .coms expire. Probably, less than 1-2% of the ones I have.

•••
I personally don't do anything about those.

Let them die in peace and re-incarnate in another investor's portfolio ))

That said, nowadays I don't let many .coms expire. Probably, less than 1-2% of the ones I have.

yes, to let them die in peace is good and noble of you. :)

as I said my domains are 99% handregs.. and probably 90% of those are straght off various daily expired lists... as in expireddomains.net... so to me letting a com org net die.. means a $10 cost roughly.. still it does add up especially for larger folios... i do have a small .io fetish so thats a bit more expensive and harder to let go... but... renewing them is equally painful at $30 or so... :P I say this because I think for you, from what I read before, your coms are rarely handregs... right?

but...i do hope some people here have some working and creative ways of making some money on their expiring names... there appear to be a few options.. like dynadot etc.. which I never tried personally... in fact i rarely even look at their expired auctions... but I do remember recently seeing, by chance, one of my expiring .io domain I own on dyna expired auction.. and seeing it with 15 bids, 250$, with few hours left... so this made me wonder, what would happen if I posted this name for sale there myself... min 30 days prior to expiry.... which i think is their rule for auctioning names there... maybe its something to consider....hmmmm

•••
I am now listing them on NameLiquidate.com :)

•••
Up until recently I also "let them die" to be found by someone else. But it's really a lazy solution with a surrender of your capital. Sometimes you don't have a choice but to let domains expire.

When you can't renew 100-200 domains at a time, you can and should liquidate before letting a registrar profit from the expired stream of inventory.

I know we are talking about this via PM, but it's worth discussing in public. NameLiquidate is a good alternative to letting your inventory go.

•••
Up until recently I also "let them die" to be found by someone else. But it's really a lazy solution with a surrender of your capital. Sometimes you don't have a choice but to let domains expire.

When you can't renew 100-200 domains at a time, you can and should liquidate before letting a registrar profit from the expired stream of inventory.

I know we are talking about this via PM, but it's worth discussing in public. NameLiquidate is a good alternative to letting your inventory go.

ty. what kind of success people have there? what sale % and at what prices? ty for sharing.

•••
share what you do with your expiring names

In the past I have let them fade away (about 80% get grabbed by a dropcatching service and/or regged within days of becoming available).

Soon, after I have figured which ones I want or need to let go, I will start listing them here with various wholesale prices based on the quality of the name.

NL offered by Epik is being considered, but the $9 bottom is too low for me. If it were at $19/$20 I would throw up a couple dozen today.

•••
•••
If the domain name has no potentiality to buyers i would let them expire if there is little bit future potential i try to find some low cost transfer solutions to cut my cost.

•••
Take a look around you many if not most of the listings at NP are hand regs that probably shouldn’t be renewed. So that’s one way to deal with your issue except list them for sale well before expiration not last minute.

•••
Take a look around you many if not most of the listings at NP are hand regs that probably shouldn’t be renewed. So that’s one way to deal with your issue except list them for sale well before expiration not last minute.

yes... definitely is.. I mentioned this as an option.. although for most it is not working well... we are after all looking for best and cheapest deals here ;)

•••
I've had good luck selling my early purchases at Namecheap and here at NamePros. Namecheap lives up to its name, though -- the 25+ domains I've sold there have gone for between $10 and $50. But between Namecheap, NP and the two domains I sold for xxx, I've been able to recover most of my initial investment.

•••
I've had good luck selling my early purchases at Namecheap and here at NamePros. Namecheap lives up to its name, though -- the 25+ domains I've sold there have gone for between $10 and $50. But between Namecheap, NP and the two domains I sold for xxx, I've been able to recover most of my initial investment.

I have also had luck with names I did not want to renew getting a bit of cash for them, often a factor of some more than I paid for them, at Namecheap. It works most effectively if you do multiple 7 day listings so they keep coming near top and getting noticed.

I agree that in general prices are less than $50, usually I would say less than $20, although I have had a few in low $$$ there.

It is a place to sell a variety of TLDs, not simply .com only. Of course they need to be registered at Namecheap and the funds are held for 5 business days and you cannot withdraw as funds until you get $100 (you can use for services, however).

I have reduced prices a lot in the week before expiry and sold a few on Dynadot Marketplace.

Of course NamePros, as mentioned, is another great option. It is really hard to get anything, even for somewhat decent names, if they are too close to expiry, though.

I have not yet tried Epik's new NameLiquidate, but plan to I like the idea that it is aimed at domainers, and that it is a way to move domain names between domainers with getting a bit of money back.

Bob

•••
I have also had luck with names I did not want to renew getting a bit of cash for them, often a factor of some more than I paid for them, at Namecheap. It works most effectively if you do multiple 7 day listings so they keep coming near top and getting noticed.

I agree that in general prices are less than $50, usually I would say less than $20, although I have had a few in low $$$ there.

It is a place to sell a variety of TLDs, not simply .com only. Of course they need to be registered at Namecheap and the funds are held for 5 business days and you cannot withdraw as funds until you get $100 (you can use for services, however).

I have reduced prices a lot in the week before expiry and sold a few on Dynadot Marketplace.

Yes, it takes some effort to renew the listings every 7 days, but that seems to work best. I've also been transferring some names there from other marketplaces, as I'm still able to make a small profit when they sell. I have yet to get a xxx sale there, but I'm still trying.

So far I haven't had any luck at Dynadot, but maybe I'll try your strategy of dropping the prices before they expire. Thanks for the tip!

•••
I used to let them expire silently, then I used to auction them here but now I am sending them to Name liquidate. I recently sold one of of my previous year $1 registered domain for $35 via NL.

I knew there are still some other place to sell them. Watching.....

•••
It varies with quality. I can only speak from my personal experience. It was fast and painless. The capital return was enough to renew 6 domains that I wanted to keep. Competition is low right now, so buyers tend to get good deals.

RJ said some insightful things on the official thread:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/domain-liquidation-platform-seeking-input-for-neougw-epik-project.1166450/page-8#post-7580881

ty. its interesting idea for sure.. but all this auth code needed stuff.. and no selling elsewhere terms is a bit much to me.... thou i know where your coming from... coupled with the fact like others said that the sale price could go real low... its just going to be a bit hard for many people to decide on this service imo..

perhaps you will find some way to simply it a bit... more flexible etc...

p.s. do you offer also ways to list/sell entire folios or entire bunches of domains in one shot? cheers

•••
ty. its interesting idea for sure.. but all this auth code needed stuff.. and no selling elsewhere terms is a bit much to me.... thou i know where your coming from... coupled with the fact like others said that the sale price could go real low... its just going to be a bit hard for many people to decide on this service imo..

perhaps you will find some way to simply it a bit... more flexible etc...

p.s. do you offer also ways to list/sell entire folios or entire bunches of domains in one shot? cheers

I hear you, liquidating in this way allows for a single push instead of death by a million cuts. I have tried liquidating here on NP for example and everyone needs the auth code or push. The reason we require auth code is to guarantee delivery upon purchase.

Exclusivity just means you won't remove the name, doesn't mean you can't have it listed elsewhere. You do run the risk of angering a buyer who was watching the name if you remove it, but it's not going to stop you from doing so.

Where do you hold most of your portfolio? We can help listing the portfolio, most registrars provide a CSV list with auth codes for copy and paste.

•••
I was pretty impressed with my NameLiquidate experience as a buyer. Wanted to experience the process before concidering using it as a seller.

I spent about $30 in the process, delivery within the hour, transferred in from GoDaddy. Pretty smooth. Money well spent just to get a feel of the platform.

•••
Let me state the obvious 900 lb gorilla in the room here Alcy.

One big problem with trying to sell expiring domains is pretty ridiculous.

Say you have a domain about to expire in less than a month?

Try to sell it here? is like an Elephant exposing a huge wound to a pack of hyenas or lions out in the open.

9 times outta 10 no one will bid on your auctions or pay your target price.

what is ridiculous is that they are more comfortable sitting and waiting to reg your domain once it drops or bid on it when the registrars try to sell it at auction in their expired auctions.

or even MORE ridiculous. some will even pay for a backorder that would run $59, probably more than would you wanted for it.

I don't see the rationale behind it really.

you just want to recover cost but guaranteed if you put those domains on here you'd only get like $1 bids.

plus the fact you even put them up for just recovering reg fee and telling the whole world about it.

They will almost always think "What's wrong with it?" "if it's so good why you letting it go for cheap?"

It's pretty hard to sell a domain when you say you simply wanna recover some loss on it. lol

Of course there are those who will see treasure in your garbage.

but those are few and far between.

Either way. Best of luck to you friend. You do have some great domains. I think I bought some from you before in the past? lol I forget! loo

•••
It is a strange phenomena, and has been discussed on social media a few months ago by domainers, that yes some will never buy at auction here, but will pay multiple times that amount when the same domain is in an expired auction. I agree @WhoaDomain.com that it seems illogical to me as well. It's the same name, but at expired auction they get more bids and sell for more.

The only logic that I took from the reasons some feel that way was
  1. They would rather not buy from a domainer who might have tried to sell the domain name already with outbound (but no real guarantee those that go to expired are not the same)
  2. They prefer the transaction at a place like GD so if something goes wrong that GD will make it right (for high value purchases this may make sense to me, perhaps, depends on name and seller I guess).
Bob

•••
It is a strange phenomena, and has been discussed on social media a few months ago by domainers, that yes some will never buy at auction here, but will pay multiple times that amount when the same domain is in an expired auction. I agree @WhoaDomain.com that it seems illogical to me as well. It's the same name, but at expired auction they get more bids and sell for more.

The only logic that I took from the reasons some feel that way was
  1. They would rather not buy from a domainer who might have tried to sell the domain name already with outbound (but no real guarantee those that go to expired are not the same)
  2. They prefer the transaction at a place like GD so if something goes wrong that GD will make it right (for high value purchases this may make sense to me, perhaps, depends on name and seller I guess).
Bob

I wish I could start my own Registrar. I'd have some ideas for one that could really flip this whole industry upside down. how much is it to start a registrar anyways? lol

•••

Not very enlightened of you to call someone else's choice "lazy". You apparently have never heard of opportunity cost. Not every dollar you are not running after is a "capital surrender".

I have been making $xxx/hr of any activity I am doing professionally. For me, it is "a surrender of capital" when I pursue those low return opportunities.

The project you are pushing has Alexa 1.6MM, meaning it probably gets around 400-700 visitors a day, many of those domain sellers looking to liquidate as well. I can get that kind of exposure easily on my website if I wanted to without much effort.

It takes more than just making a script and choosing a name to make a project a success and value-add for your users. You need to manage to add critical mass of buyers for people to make sense to get off their "lazy" butts and use your service.

•••
yes, to let them die in peace is good and noble of you. :)

as I said my domains are 99% handregs.. and probably 90% of those are straght off various daily expired lists... as in expireddomains.net... so to me letting a com org net die.. means a $10 cost roughly.. still it does add up especially for larger folios... i do have a small .io fetish so thats a bit more expensive and harder to let go... but... renewing them is equally painful at $30 or so... :P I say this because I think for you, from what I read before, your coms are rarely handregs... right?

but...i do hope some people here have some working and creative ways of making some money on their expiring names... there appear to be a few options.. like dynadot etc.. which I never tried personally... in fact i rarely even look at their expired auctions... but I do remember recently seeing, by chance, one of my expiring .io domain I own on dyna expired auction.. and seeing it with 15 bids, 250$, with few hours left... so this made me wonder, what would happen if I posted this name for sale there myself... min 30 days prior to expiry.... which i think is their rule for auctioning names there... maybe its something to consider....hmmmm

You are right, not many hand regs. I am sure there are some gems there, but it generally takes more time for me until I get my own custom script that will do most of the work for me weeding stuff out )

So, yes, my drops would be mostly something I have paid $13 to $20, out of which $8 is just the "rental" fee for a year, so really the question is if $5 to $12 is worth the effort of trying to liquidate.

A better way would be looking at renewals up to 2-3 months before expiration dates and then deciding which ones are weak and setting low bins on them at $99 to $399. One sale in that category can be worth as much as 20-80 $5 liquidations.

•••
Not very enlightened of you to call someone else's choice "lazy". You apparently have never heard of opportunity cost. Not every dollar you are not running after is a "capital surrender".

I have been making $xxx/hr of any activity I am doing professionally. For me, it is "a surrender of capital" when I pursue those low return opportunities.

The project you are pushing has Alexa 1.6MM, meaning it probably gets around 400-700 visitors a day, many of those domain sellers looking to liquidate as well. I can get that kind of exposure easily on my website if I wanted to without much effort.

It takes more than just making a script and choosing a name to make a project a success and value-add for your users. You need to manage to add critical mass of buyers for people to make sense to get off their "lazy" butts and use your service.

Clearly not everyone can afford to just let capital vanish into thin air because you make so much money that you can't be bothered to copy-paste a few domains into a form. It is lazy to surrender capital you could extract with a bit of work. Nobody is saying YOU are lazy for not doing it, just a lazy approach to eliminating a cost. Many large enterprises use liquidation of returned merchandize in a similar way, they just stick returns into a big box and auction it off for others to profit.

The project is 30 days old, I think we are doing fine so far while we add more features to get to critical usage. The idea is to avoid end-user mixing with your retail operations, that has been abundantly clear to those who took the time to read a few of mu posts from the official thread.

•••
Clearly not everyone can afford to just let capital vanish into thin air because you make so much money that you can't be bothered to copy-paste a few domains into a form. It is lazy to surrender capital you could extract with a bit of work. Nobody is saying YOU are lazy for not doing it, just a lazy approach to eliminating a cost. Many large enterprises use liquidation of returned merchandize in a similar way, they just stick returns into a big box and auction it off for others to profit.

The project is 30 days old, I think we are doing fine so far while we add more features to get to critical usage. The idea is to avoid end-user mixing with your retail operations, that has been abundantly clear to those who took the time to read a few of mu posts from the official thread.

well you all make valid points... no need for any arguing here really...
everyone is free to try and recover any money they may want from their domains... or not...
sometimes its out of principle.. so they feel better.. sometimes its more financial necessaity... depends on person and case.

in either case, i wish u good luck with your epik project... i hope it works well.. i may try it... not sure yet.. however, after it has ran for bit longer, i do hope you return here to share some concrete stats about sale numbers... sale %... amounts... site trafic etc... i think it'll be interesting to see.. and help people decide to use or not. thanks!

•••
Back