IT.COM

discuss What do you do with your expiring soon names to recover some of their costs?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

alcy

Top Member
Impact
this is obviously the million dollar question that keeps many domainers awake at nite (jk)... some try to salvage at least a couple dollars off their registration cost by auctioning their expired or soon expiring names here on np... others may run some dynadot auctions (I think there you have to post min 30 days before domain expires)... or maybe on gd auctions... and others do other stuff...

feel free to post or discuss here your methods of recovering at least some money from a domain thats expiring soon... i've watched many of my domains (at my max i had arund 4k names... now around 1500 and plan to go lower) just expire.... in my case it meant losing regfees... as 99% of my names are basically expired lists handregs... but even this means 10$ for com org etc... and sometimes it means $30 per domain for .io.. of which I had/have a solid quantity and am a big fan.

so.... share what you do with your expiring names.. or do you just watch them leave and do nothing... ;)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@Rob Monster Thanks Rob One quick follow up Talk of the minimum sold price being set to $6 at the end of the 7 day auction, when is that being implemented The system is sounding more viable, for me, by the minute

The "bargain bin" feature where the domains go after a no-bid is on deck. I am not sure if it is in tomorrow's major release. Proxy bids come online tomorrow. I did not get confirmation on "Bargain bin" but it is coming.

•••
Right, do it a bit sooner because lately Godaddy is enforcing the 5 day transfer lock without a way to expedite so that gets into the red zone
Moreover, they would not publicly admit - but, as soon as at least one bid received at their expired auction - there would be no way for a previous owner to transfer the domain, or even to "recover" it afaik. If it is already on the auctions.goddady expired platfotm - but without bids yet - it may be possible at least to renew. Or even to transfer-out if no privacy is applied. Removing privacy from an expired domain does not work by some reason, as well as transferring away privacy-protected domains. The above findings are of different times, so may not be 100% correct today. I'd list my godaddy expireds 1 months before the expiration, just to be on a safe side.

Last edited:
•••
There's not too many names nowadays that I let expire but for those names that I do, I've had luck simply starting a 7 day auction at GoDaddy. I don't pay for the Reserve option, I just start it at a very low number. They simply have more buyers, that's where you want to put your names. Tweet it out, post a link to it in the External Auction section here, post at LinkedIn, pay $10 for a mention at Shane's site (for the better ones), etc. usual stuff. Or just here at Namepros.

Last edited:
•••
There's not too many names nowadays that I let expire but for those names that I do, I've had luck simply starting a 7 day auction at GoDaddy. I don't pay for the Reserve option, I just start it at a very low number. They simply have more buyers, that's where you want to put your names. Tweet it out, post a link to it in the External Auction section here, post at LinkedIn, etc. usual stuff. Or just here at Namepros.

Sure, do those things too, but when the chips are down and you about to lose your ante to an expiry, you don't drop, you liquidate. We are talking about the fallback plan when you are about to gat nada, zip, zero.

The Dutch auction has a very specific use-case. It is optimized for liquidating perishable inventory. That is what we are talking about here. Will Godaddy let you list an expired domain? I rather doubt it.

•••
Sure, do those things too, but when the chips are down and you about to lose your ante to an expiry, you don't drop, you liquidate. We are talking about the fallback plan when you are about to gat nada, zip, zero.

The Dutch auction has a very specific use-case. It is optimized for liquidating perishable inventory. That is what we are talking about here. Will Godaddy let you list an expired domain? I rather doubt it.

Well, I put them up before they expire. Usually names in the past that I had no plans to renew, 2 months out or so, just did the 7 day auction, over and over again. Worked well for me.

•••
Well, I put them up before they expire. Usually names in the past that I had no plans to renew, 2 months out or so, just did the 7 day auction, over and over again. Worked well for me.

It seems light a sensible strategy for a proactive liquidator.

I am talking about the case of the domainer who swings for the fences right up to the bitter end. There are many like that in case you missed it.

So for the guy who has no bids or pending offers on an expired domain, what's are all of their liquidity options?

I will add two more actually:

1. We do interest-free domain loans secured by the domains only.

2. We do a kind of escrow where we fund the transfers and the former registrant has a year to pay back the transfer fees, and in the meantime, we are 50/50 on liquidation.

So, that is a total of 3 active programs that actually work and have spared pro domainers total ruin. I won't name names but there are many case studies where these programs changed the course of history.

•••
It seems light a sensible strategy for a proactive liquidator.

I am talking about the case of the domainer who swings for the fences right up to the bitter end. There are many like that in case you missed it.

So for the guy who has no bids or pending offers on an expired domain, what's are all of their liquidity options?

I will add two more actually:

1. We do interest-free domain loans secured by the domains only.

2. We do a kind of escrow where we fund the transfers and the former registrant has a year to pay back the transfer fees, and in the meantime, we are 50/50 on liquidation.

So, that is a total of 3 active programs that actually work and have spared pro domainers total ruin. I won't name names but there are many case studies where these programs changed the course of history.

I don't think the thread starter was asking about "escrow" or domain loans.

I just checked out your site again, it's still not ready for prime time. Still no filters. I'm only interested in .com, don't want to rummage thru the other names. Still no FAQ or anything on the main page. I have to click Buy Now, going to the next page to see how it all works. Then again, buyers.

•••
I don't think the thread starter was asking about "escrow" or domain loans.

I just checked out your site again, it's still not ready for prime time. Still no filters. I'm only interested in .com, don't want to rummage thru the other names. Still no FAQ or anything on the main page. I have to click Buy Now, going to the next page to see how it all works. Then again, buyers.

The thread is about salvaging your domain value before you lose your basis. I mentioned 2 more relevant solutions completely on point so try to suspend your "Report" reflex if you can.

As for the content, the official FAQ will be added -- the NP threads have been part of the live beta to work out the last major issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The reality is this you can put your time into always trying to improve the quality of names clearing the inferior to have ultimate list or you can spend the same amount of time on your best make profit and turn over the list. I have been one to wanting to improve my list but I am going to say I am foolish I should be turning over best names and dropping names that require too much effort to sell at best of times.
I am now making some effort even putting on offer some of my hoarded names.

•••
What does 'Fast Transfer' entail? I think most registrars take 5 days to transfer a domain, and mostly the process is automatic, without a chance for Registrant to make the process any faster?

•••
this is obviously the million dollar question that keeps many domainers awake at nite (jk)... some try to salvage at least a couple dollars off their registration cost by auctioning their expired or soon expiring names here on np... others may run some dynadot auctions (I think there you have to post min 30 days before domain expires)... or maybe on gd auctions... and others do other stuff...

feel free to post or discuss here your methods of recovering at least some money from a domain thats expiring soon... i've watched many of my domains (at my max i had arund 4k names... now around 1500 and plan to go lower) just expire.... in my case it meant losing regfees... as 99% of my names are basically expired lists handregs... but even this means 10$ for com org etc... and sometimes it means $30 per domain for .io.. of which I had/have a solid quantity and am a big fan.

so.... share what you do with your expiring names.. or do you just watch them leave and do nothing... ;)
I just drop them.

Nowdays I am trying to buy names which I will not drop (quality over quantity).

•••
Hi I thought I would give NameLiquidate a go with 20 dot coms that were hanging around on Dan not doing much that I was going to not renew . Went threw the process pressed submit and it says . Unable to verify domain info . Have I done something wrong or ? . Cheers

•••
Hi I thought I would give NameLiquidate a go with 20 dot coms that were hanging around on Dan not doing much that I was going to not renew . Went threw the process pressed submit and it says . Unable to verify domain info . Have I done something wrong or ? . Cheers

Looking into this, did you include valid auth codes like this?

DomainNameSample.com 2@#42%63^5477

•••
What does 'Fast Transfer' entail? I think most registrars take 5 days to transfer a domain, and mostly the process is automatic, without a chance for Registrant to make the process any faster?
This is purely if your registrar allows it. As long as the authcode is not changed or the domain is locked, all is good.

•••
Hi Dan congrats on the little one by the way We just had our 1st grand daughter back in November . No mate the process did not ask for auth codes as far as I could see and they are all over at Porkbun.Cheers. You know what they might be locked I will check.

•••
yes Dan silly me they are locked I will start again . Cheers

•••
Well I unlocked them all and it says the same thing ?. Cheers.

•••
Well I unlocked them all and it says the same thing ?. Cheers.

Tracey, thank you and congratulations on your first grand daughter. Many blessings to the little one.

In regards to the error, you must provide the auth code of every domain upon submission. See my example above, basically as is. No commas or parenthesis. Just domain authcode with a space in between.

•••
•••
want to know more.........

•••
“Maturity is the ability to reject good alternatives in order to pursue even better ones” Ray Dalio

The issue of liquidation is something I have been thinking about as I realize my initial approach has been opposite of Dalio’s definition of maturity. After completing the @DNAcademy course, where an analytical, data centric approach is taught, an approach which is also reinforced by Dalio in his book “Principles”. I am reevaluating and have decided the following:
1. Reevaluate domains based on DN Academy valuation, as well other considerations.
2. Recognize “mistakes” are how we learn, not just about domains but about our own strengths and weakness, as domainers and humans.
3. As I go through this liquidation process, I have tried various methods including:
A. ebay where selling a domain for a buck is not worth anyones time, I will try some at the $10-$100 range.
B. Dynadot marketplace BIN, where I have turned several over in the $1 to $25 range. I registered many in the for $5.99 to 6.99 with .coms which have mostly sold in the $5-$25 range and other extensions bought on “sale” have been in the $1-5 range. Not much luck on user auctions there.
C. Uniregistry market, I have a lot of gtld (.site etc) registered there purchased at sales prices, good keywords, I have turned a few there from $3 to $20 with BIN option.
D. Sedo $20-$50 range BIN (buy it maybe as there is no true buy it now) Have sold about 8 in that range.
E. Nameliquidate.com One sold for $9 out of my first batch, can’t see where buyer actually paid up, a little annoyed by the email wanting me to pay cost of transfer, but they clarified that for me. Look forward to listing more and seeing what happens.

I appreciate @DanSanchez (congratulations!) and the Epik team for being innovative and creating another sales outlet. (Please note, I am only associated with Epik as a new customer and have been content with my experience there).

@alcy those have been my liquidation efforts thus far, with my 10% of something is better than 100% of nothing outlook.

Please remember these are domains I am liquidating, many I would not purchase today. Most are good in some form, for someone to use some time, I am choosing to liquidate them now, and pursue higher priced but better domains.

•••
E. Nameliquidate.com One sold for $9 out of my first batch, can’t see where buyer actually paid up, a little annoyed by the email wanting me to pay cost of transfer, but they clarified that for me. Look forward to listing more and seeing what happens.

Sorry for the confusion on this, the email you received needs to be amended to reflect NameLiquidate usage. Here is how the process works now:

1. Buyer pays for domain price plus transfer cost after winning bid or clicking "buy now" on NameLiquidate.
2. Seller is notified of the sale via email (and soon via the Seller dashboard) to approve the transfer of the domain.
3. Seller receives the domain.
4. Buyer receives payment.

The process will speed up as we improve, but we do depend on sellers to deliver quickly so we can liberate the payout.

Thank you for the kind words, I want to continue helping domainers gain faster liquidity with this outlet. Your perspective of wanting to move on to higher priced names is one of my targets for liquidation. We should seek to recover capital as quickly and painlessly as possible. This two step process is as painless as it gets! We have some improvements to make and they do happen almost daily.

•••
in most case...I just let them drop w/o any action...

•••
I wish I could start my own Registrar. I'd have some ideas for one that could really flip this whole industry upside down. how much is it to start a registrar anyways? lol
sorry replying old thread

but curious about your ideas, what could it be? maybe we could give feedback will it work or not

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back