IT.COM

What do you do with your Brandbucket rejected names?

NameSilo
Watch
Seems like nowadays if a 5-6 letter brandable name is not approved at BB it's pretty much worthless at Namepros (some I can't even sell for $1) .

So what do you do with your rejected domains?
Let's say there are no direct end users for them i.e. no companies with that name.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I still have 23 domains I plan to drop next year and put "This domain is for sale for $95" on all of them.
Overall cost was ~$50 for all so I'm not worried about that but they just sit there, mocking me... :'(
I hate that "dead weight" feeling...

•••
Are they parked? Do they receive any traffic at all?

If they do, build a page somewhere listing them for sale at $20 each, or even $10 each and redirect all the domains to that page. You might sell a few which will recoup the reg fees for those plus a few others.

Selling for less than $10 is probably not worth the time it takes to transfer the domains, especially if you're selling to non-domainers who probably will need their hands held through the entire process. Time is money too.

Also, have you submitted them to other brandable marketplaces like namerific and brandroot?

•••
Seems like nowadays if a 5-6 letter brandable name is not approved at BB it's pretty much worthless at Namepros (some I can't even sell for $1) .

Let's say there are no direct end users for them i.e. no companies with that name.

Hi

no disrespect to np members, but many of them have fallen into same mental trap

they think or believe that if a name is accepted there, then it automatically has value

when in fact, it does not have any value outside of that thought process..... until it is sold for an amount above acquisition cost.

here's another way to look at it:

say you never list it on namepros and never submit it to bb, but instead list it on sedo or IT and it gets sold.

if/when that occurs, then the BB/NP assumption becomes invalid.

imo....

•••
Looking at the names they rejected and some of the crap they have I really wonder what criteria (if any) they use...

Also, have you submitted them to other brandable marketplaces like namerific and brandroot?
The last time I submitted names to NR they took almost a month - plus a time to make a logo etc.
There won't much time before expiration (January-March)

Actually I'm fine with $10 per name - hell, I would be fine with $2.5 each (in bulk) but no one is buying and I don't like waiting...

•••
I feel 23 names lighter.
Apparently posting in discussion forum is better selling tactic than posting in NP marketplace
Knowing my luck stub will get $1000 offer tomorrow :rolleyes:
Hopefully not... is it bad to say it? ;)

•••
If the name was good enough to purchase, IMO it deserves a full marketing push just like any other name. The fact the BB passed on it means nothing other than it didn't meet their needs. It doesn't mean it has no value. the only time it has no value is when you sell it for what you paid, or less.

Personally, I use BB as a sounding board and so they get first pass. If they decline then I try Namerrific. If they pass then I put it on my own site as well as Sedo and or Internic, same as any other domain brandable or not. On my own site I have it set to auto-tweet a random domain every 4 hours, so it will eventually get exposure, I do the same on Facebook etc. I also work the name directly for possible uses from contacts etc. i think allowing BB to be the sole arbitrator of value gives them too much power and most of us can't survive solely through BB sales.

•••
As a buyer, I am not in the least interested in whether Brandbucket accepted the name or not. Honestly, either way has zero impact on my perception of the name's value.

In fact, I suppose I prefer names that have been rejected, because they go for lower prices here. Many of the names they accept look like absolute rubbish to me, but are priced at a premium here.

Every buyer has their own criteria. While maybe BB's criteria works for them, it wouldn't work for me.

If I put a name up at Namepros and it doesn't sell for a dollar or $10, I generally drop it. (Though there are always exceptions:) Not really worth the time and effort to squeeze a few bucks out of a deadweight name.

•••
Many of the names they accept look like absolute rubbish to me, but are priced at a premium here.

Agreed, very bad names, like know sense whatsoever. The reason must be the traffic for accepting most of these names. It's a somewhat super targeted lead for them if someone types a brandable domain into the browser to see if it's available and ends up on BB. Just a thought.

EDIT: Their site screams PRO and the UX is so mint that I'd imagine that even random traffic stays for a while just to see what's going on.

•••
I i think allowing BB to be the sole arbitrator of value gives them too much power and most of us can't survive solely through BB sales.

@cocaseco

this excerpt from your post, relates directly to my previous comment.

as you really don't want "any entity" to be the sole arbitrator of value, because it would give them the same power over you.

imo....

•••
I think it's not really about what BB thinks - it's hard to sell a madeup word (that no one is looking for) if it's not posted on one of the brandable marketplaces... or rather, it's hard to be found by potential buyer...

•••
If it's short, pronounceable, or works with a certain niche market, then it has value.
If it fits into the above, then keep it and market it in other places. Maybe renew it once or twice, if no interest, then drop it.

•••
Sold almost all my rejects on NP rest I'll drop. To much hassle marketing 3rd or 4th tier brandables to end users.

•••

If they are great, they will sell.

They rejected 2 names that I've sold $4,000 each.
It was a better deal for me lol

•••
Surprisingly, they sell/get offers more than BB accepted names )) Excluding about 10% of the names that were impulse buy that don't hold against scrutiny after later look.

•••
They just rejected PivotZone.com, Acuiva.com, Spaarta.com, StatCop.com, and waiting on decision regarding Specttra.com and Macrofuse.com, do you think Sedo and Afternic could be reasonable alternatives? Thanks!

•••
They just rejected PivotZone.com, Acuiva.com, Spaarta.com, StatCop.com, and waiting on decision regarding Specttra.com and Macrofuse.com, do you think Sedo and Afternic could be reasonable alternatives? Thanks!

Spaarta is the best one. Those kind will only sell if someone actually look for them individually or if they are featured on a brandable market place

•••
Back