IT.COM

discuss What do you do befor you register or buy your domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

most123

Established Member
Impact
thats what i do

i try to choose the strong words
and look in to the search average that will tell me people are interested in the name or not
and search about any similar sales history

is this enough?

because i see many domains have good words and good search average and when they appraised in the appraisal section i see a lot of members say no value on this!

on the other side i see domains with very little search average and they don't even have similar sales history and they appraised for high value!

maybe i should learn more as i am still new in domains or maybe there's something wrong i can't understand

i have been in forex for 5 years and learned an important thing that(dont ever fight the trend)and try to do what the market wants...when the market is up alot of people keep their selling orders so thats why they lose..

in domains i see the search average and the similar sales history maybe good indicator to an up trend so i try to do what the market wants

there are new domains maybe they are brandable but they have no search average and similar sales!!

and in my opinion any buyer could make his own brandable domain with no need to pay 3 or 4 digits for one

please join and say your opinion

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Typically I place a stick of butter on my head and hope for the best.

But that's just me.

•••
•••
Hi

you probably need to keep reading more about domains.

i mean, you couldn't do like i do, because you don't have a "gut", yet.

and i'm not talking about a fat stomach either :)

talking about a feeling you get when you spot a domain, and your gut speaks to you.

imo....

•••
But in all seriousness...

I will buy a domain if it's short, pronounceable, and has clear meaning for a potential business.

Some domains might have an exact match, but may have very little value for the market is represents. - So it would be prices low.

Conversely, a domain might have absolutely no searches, but may contain brandable keywords related to a niche - which would make the domain name valuable to a business.

When I buy a domain the only thing I am considering is if it sounds good for a potential business or if an actual active business would want the domain.

•••
yes i forgot to say i search first about the tradmark

but your link doesnt work

i search in trademarkia.com

•••
biggie
honstely
i didnt understand any thing from your post also i hate mysterious words
the only thing that understood is that i need to reed more..thank you for the advise
and it would be nice if you answer my question...above

•••
But in all seriousness...

I will buy a domain if it's short, pronounceable, and has clear meaning for a potential business.

Some domains might have an exact match, but may have very little value for the market is represents. - So it would be prices low.

Conversely, a domain might have absolutely no searches, but may contain brandable keywords related to a niche - which would make the domain name valuable to a business.

When I buy a domain the only thing I am considering is if it sounds good for a potential business or if an actual active business would want the domain.

thank you
but please tell me how could a domain with no search average could has high value
and domain with high search average has no value?

the first one no one searchs about it
the second alot of people search about and want it..so which one has value???this is avery mysterious thing i cant understand is the domain feild

and by the way i think there are more than billion brandable names are un registered so what make any one buy the brandable name you have for xxxx and not register any one for 10$
any one can make his brandble name
this is my opinion anyways

•••
biggie
honstely
i didnt understand any thing from your post also i hate mysterious words
the only thing that understood is that i need to reed more..thank you for the advise
and it would be nice if you answer my question...above

Hi most123

most of domaining is about reading "in between the lines", instead of believing the lines written for you to read.

and everything is not perfectly clear... hear, so see it as a puzzle and try to figure it out on your own.

Good Luck!

•••
actually i hate to play puzzle my friend especially when the subject related to the business..
either i have good clear deal with good clear indicators or no deal

there is a very important thing i learned form forex that (dont ever make yourself clever or genious because the market will ignore you ..and it seems that most of people who lose in forex and stock those whom try to act like professors and make themselves clever when the market is a child and never cares about professors..
just do what the market wants not what you think
thats what i know ..and it is just my opinion

thank you

•••
sorry dude or dudette, but this ain't forex and it ain't stocks

and if you don't want to learn how to put the pieces together, then you'll never see the big picture.

i can open your eyes, but i won't spoon feed you,

imo...

•••
domains is a market like forex and stock each one has his own indicators and tools.

i am not interested actually in such debates and arguments....

what i asked here is how you choose your domain ....which tools and indicators you use

just waiting for new opinions........

•••
thats what i do
there are new domains maybe they are brandable but they have no search average and similar sales!!

and in my opinion any buyer could make his own brandable domain with no need to pay 3 or 4 digits for one

You can invent your own brandable domain but you'll find that most of the good ones are not available .com, brandable's don't need good search volume to succeed but they do need to be remembered.

•••
@most123
You say about forex and doing what market wants, but is this a way to really rock this stuff and earn a really big money ? The one who predicts the market is a real winner.

And when you are talking about average search, you mean Google keyword planner right ?

And appraisals - it's just opinion of people, I think that good domainer, as biggie told, has well trained gut muscle which helps to choose right domains. Intuition is a muscle which you can train imho...

•••
@most123
You say about forex and doing what market wants, but is this a way to really rock this stuff and earn a really big money ? The one who predicts the market is a real winner.

And when you are talking about average search, you mean Google keyword planner right ?

And appraisals - it's just opinion of people, I think that good domainer, as biggie told, has well trained gut muscle which helps to choose right domains. Intuition is a muscle which you can train imho...

yes
in forex you can't predict anything without information
no one can't set toward his platform and says yeah i am a professor and i can read what is between the lines .the market is up i will buy...and when the market go down he discovers that he was wrong and there is no thing between the line except maybe some bullshit...

the good investor who uses the appropriate tools and searchs carefully about what the market wants.... the experience is needed of course...

thats what i am asking here i am not looking for mysterious stories
i am trying to search about the appropriate tools and indicators to use..search average?previous sales history?any thing else?

and if the only tool that domainers depend on it is just the personal thought and what is they can read between the lines so that's why thousands of domains drop daily in the expired domains because there are many professional people out there have some thoughts and try to predict the market and the market always ignore them...

•••
You can invent your own brandable domain but you'll find that most of the good ones are not available .com, brandable's don't need good search volume to succeed but they do need to be remembered.

but will this make the brandable best than the domain with high search average???

and there is an important thing

the brandable one.. you need to make people keep it in mind because its a new and no one knows it so it may cost some high budget in ads

but the one who has high search average you dont need to do this because people already remember it and keep it in mind so thats why they search about it...

am i right or wrong??

•••
The commercial value of a domain depends on many factors that are not easy (practically impossible) to become an algorithm, because many of these factors are not quantifiable. This is why people talk about "gut feeling" or "experience".

Similar sales play a role, but the most difficult part is to figure out which sales are really similar. Having a similar keyword does not automatically make a domain “similar”. This is not quantifiable and is based primarily on experience.

Number of searches plays a role in some cases, but not in all cases, being a relatively small part of the domain’s value. This is because the domain demand is not about “what people search”, but about how business people name their websites, depending on what sort of websites these are. Nowadays, startups often prefer brandable names over exact match keyword names, because they want to make a name of their own, to create a brand, to be different. Besides, nowadays Google’s ranking no longer depends so much on domain’s name, this is why domains with searches have dropped in value.

As for “what market wants” and “what professors say”, it is all very simple. Either you make sales and then you are happy, or you make no sales and lose money. This is the practical criteria about being “right” or “wrong” about domains. This is why sometimes we say that a domain’s value is equal to what somebody (anybody) is willing to pay for it.

Also, domains are a statistic game, since successful domainers usually sell around 2-5% of their portfolio annually. Dropping domains is perfectly normal for a domainer, because market trends can change, their own vision and plans change etc. Dropping domains is like selling stock to rebalance the portfolio.

Last edited:
•••
but the one who has high search average you dont need to do this because people already remember it and keep it in mind so thats why they search about it...
am i right or wrong??

Apple, Amazon, Bush, Camel, Mars, Diesel some extreme examples of Brandables that suggest something different to the product/service being offered .... even google itself was hardly thinking of search volume when establishing it's presence.

•••
yes and there are million ...no billion of these names and there are no such huge number of companies for all of these names which make investing in brandables like gambling....you have to buy thouthands of brandable names and with luck you may recieve offer from huge company and if there is no luck unfortunately they will go to the expired domains

and by the way did google buy this name?or registered it?

i have read a topic before saying that around 50% of the business sites register their names by their own hands

i will search about this topic now and put the link

•••
and i forgot to say that i am not talking about the brandable names with one single words cause i see them worth already... but talking also about the brandable names with two words which make investing in them is very hard since there are already millions of them are un registered and there are available names with high search average ..and this put the same question again what makes this brandable name best than the one with high search average??

Last edited:
•••
Good brandables are not easy to find nowadays, one word or two words. Try and see :) Lots of people on this forum have made money with brandables – it is a working business model, if you know and feel what is in demand. Also, there are plenty of two-word domains that are not really brandables, but have no searches either. These sell too.

By the way, when startups register domains instead of buying, they usually rebrand them later, when their budget increases. Even Google goes for rebranding now - and yes, they did register their domain :)

Besides, investing in keyword domains is no less a "gamble" than investing in brandables. Simply because they cost you more (much more!) to acquire, and their value fluctuates significantly, especially with the emergence of the new extensions. It is a significant risk to take.

•••
and this put the same question again what make this brandable name best than the one with high search average??

Brandables names that have little search volume are usually short and easy to pronounce and remember, some require strategic advertising/marketing campaigns to launch successfully.

Some brandables have high search volume before being marketed e.g. cheap flights, this can only be a plus.

•••
thank you nerevar
but i gotta say something
since i see brandable names which are appraised for high value when they new registered not old names...this means that there are a huge number are still not registered yet but maybe its hard to find one but its not impossible

as for me if i am going to establish my site i dont have any problem to spend 24 hour or a whole week searching about my brandable name instead of paying 1000$ for one name

and you can see alot of brandable names are good names i think they selling in the auction section for less than 20$
the reason is because there are many of them and there are no such huge number of sites for all these names... maybe there are some of them sold for xxxx but still alot of them selling for 10and 20 ....this is my opinion

•••
I check to see if I have money to buy a domain first.
The i do a double check.
Ask the wife if I can.

•••
The domain usually represents a company name. For example, plenty of people may search for pc speakers, mouse pads, action games etc. Domains like mousepads.com may be used to generate leads, or for an affiliate website. But a company will (almost) never call itself “Mouse Pads Ltd” or “Speakers”, “Action Games”. A company will tend to call itself “Software Solutions Ltd”, or “Computer Supplies”, or “Data Store”, or something like that. So the main company domain that they want is softwaresolutions.com etc., with nearly no searches.

There are many, many thousands of companies in this field. So they bought all obvious names like softwaresolutions.com , and even mousepads.com - and what do they do next?

1. They can go to longer names. They can call themselves Zero Digital Solutions, Nirvana Data Store and so on. Dull, long domains that are hard to type and remember. These are not our clients, the potential names are too many to register them and have a decent ROI.

2. They can go brandable. Something like datafocus.com , cyborgica.com , gigahub.com , gameric.com, coolbit.com etc. Remember, there are many thousands of companies – and good brandable names are limited. This is why brandables sell.

And yes, fair quality brandables are registered by domainers for $10, or change hands for $20-30, and then 2-5% of them sell for $1,500, especially with some good marketing. This is a working business model that will not get you rich, but might get a reasonable return for the effort invested. In reality, $1500 is not that much money for a company. They do not want to sit and search themselves what domains are free this evening. Instead they choose from the best domains that were gathered over many months or years of hoarding by experienced domainers.

•••
Back