IT.COM

new gtlds What are your '.best' domain names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Most Bay

Bruneis.comTop Member
Impact
Hi All,
We know, one registrant has launch great discount for registering new '.best' (dot best).
My knowledge is very limited about this extension. But I have tried to register some new names. Such as:

cap.best
bat.best
ham.best
dew.best
nap.best
tan.best
yap.best
night.best
morning.best

So What are yours?
And, Anyone can help me (or us) to explain how about the future prospects of this extension (dot best) for global market?

Thank you...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No problems for me.
I just pointed you that SERVER.BEST is also $70+ yearly.
Open WHOIS.

•••
My .best renewal cost at Dynadot today on on 2 .best I checked expiring in November still says a sky-high $80.50 or $161 total.

Last edited:
•••
.....Another domain I bought from a domainer just a few days ago, but that was a fresh registration (a registrar marketplace purchase so the 60 day lock did not apply) is now listed with a premium status and a renewal of roughly $700 per year, which of course makes it virtually unsellable even though it is a nice name.......Bob

I feel the pain, that sure sucks BIG TIME it may even be worthless at $700 year.

Last edited:
•••
....tWhat you have to know also is that all domains that was registered before 5th Feb 2019 (=before our price change announcement) was all registered or renew at the regular price of $70 since many years and so all those domains will remain at $70 wholesale in a specific premium category that was created only for those names. (=mainly only few names that was registered before our acquisition)....Cyril

That is not fair because I am fairly sure they were NOT really identified as premium at the time of reg Nov 2018 or whenever ($80 sounds to me to be far below typical premium pricing). It appears status later changed from standard to premium possibly as a way to make more money, I am guessing. Not too happy about it Cyril.

Last edited:
•••
For Server.Best I am getting a 83$ renewal fees on dynadot , Dropping this scam anyway...

•••
Actually What they have a plan is: All initial .best domains were super names so they simply want them not to be renewed so they can earn more in premium registrations ,,, Almost 80% of the names after feb 19 are crap.

•••
No scam here...
I'm working with .best since it was launched... few years already...
And it was always $70 and higher... depends on registrar.

•••
No scam here...
I'm working with .best since it was launched... few years already...
And it was always $70 and higher... depends on registrar.

Two types of renewals ? Domains hand reg before feb 2019 are being renewed at normal rate but why ?

•••
Yes, 2 types of domains... before Feb'5 2019 and after...
And I guess, in case of drop - many of those old .best domains then will be repriced up to $1K.

•••
Yes, 2 types of domains... before Feb'5 2019 and after...
And I guess, in case of drop - many of those old .best domains then will be repriced up to $1K.

S.C.A.M Dot BEST

•••
For Server.Best I am getting a 83$ renewal fees on dynadot , Dropping this scam anyway...

It's odd why everyone's renewals at Dynadot seem to be different. For example I discovered i have 3 .best at Dynadot (not 2) with reg dates before Feb 2019, two renew at $80.50 each and one at $80.99 which was marked auto-renew so I paid the high fee without chance to complain about it. I have seen others with various prices at Dynadot from $17 to $70 to $80 to $700.

P.S. Another reason I know $80 was NOT a PREMIUM as now claimed by Cyril is before i heard about the big promo in early Feb 2019 I reg'd one at Godaddy for $83 and it was NOT a premium, That was the GD standard .best reg rate at the time so I have evidence to that effect.

•••
.co and many other registries are doing the same...

•••
.co and many other registries are doing the same...

I am sorry to say changing the status from standard renewal to premium renewal after it was registered and long before it expires sounds like a SCAM to me. What else can it be?

Just because .co (allegedly) does that does not make it moral or right in any way at all. If that is going on it may result in ICANN complaints or worse since many of the names involved will be later dropped due to that issue.

Last edited:
•••
I'm talking only about the dropped domains... about their new fees for next registrants.

Regarding the existent .best domains - should be no any changes for their renewal...
If you regged it for high $xx and now you see high $xxx renewal - then definitely it is a mistake on their side...
Contact @Cyril.Best

Last edited:
•••
This is good example of why end users will never embrace these oddball extensions.
Higher prices, different renewal tiers. It is just way too confusing.

Also, $70+ to renew a .best is ridiculous.

Brad

•••
Yes, it was $70+ from the beginning...
But significant plus comparing to other nTLDs - was very short list of .best premiums...
Almost all keywords were available for endusers for $70+.

This premium list was extended just this year.

•••
$70-100 x 10 years = just no higher $1K for enduser.

Last edited:
•••
That is not fair because I am fairly sure they were NOT really identified as premium at the time of reg Nov 2018 or whenever ($80 sounds to me to be far below typical premium pricing). It appears status later changed from standard to premium possibly as a way to make more money, I am guessing. Not too happy about it Cyril.

Thanks for your feedback but I do not agree with you on the "unfair" term.

Let me explain :

First, I totally understand that this price change can generate some frustration, especially for the older or first .Best domainers that bought .Best domains at the beginning and/or even before our .Best acquisition.

But you have to understand that a pricing down transition is touchy because we have to find a "Fair Date" between registrars on one side and registrants on the other side.

Indeed, as it is easily understandable, registrars would prefer that all domains registered before the effective pricing change date (5th August 2019) have to be "still" renewed at the old wholesale price while, of course, registrants/domainers, in the other sense, would prefer all domains to be renewed at the new reduced price.

For me, the "Fair Date" is the date of notification to registrars and announcement of our price change to registrants/domainers.

If we were really unfair, we could take the effective price change date of 5th August 2019 (exact date where our standard price drop).

But I thought that the date of our price change announcement (5th Feb 2019) was the fair date coz all registrants that registered/renewed domains before were not aware of our new pricing strategy.

To be even totally transparent, internally, we fixed the new pricing and date of price change after the Namescon 2019 in Las Vegas (beginning Feb 2019) and immediately notify all our registrars on 5th Feb 2019.

We would even prefer to go faster but we had to legally respect a window of 6 months for our registrars to update their system.

So, trust me, nothing was unfair in our price transition and the result is also that we found now a strong traction on new registration from registrants since our price change and also on renewals (on the last 3 months we had a global renewal rate up to 90%).

We are now only few months from the opening of THE.Best social network that will give a lot of value and impulse to our .Best domains for registrants and will continue to grow daily until DAY 1.

There is still great opportunity for registrants (today, for instance, we had a huge number of first name registration that was still available at $1) and for old/first registrants/domainers of .Best domains, I would be happy to assist them on a one to one basis to get them a discount for their .Best portfolio and/or any correction/issue that have to be done following our price transition.

Hope this will enable you to better understand everything.

Let me know if I can help in anything.

All the .Best,

CF

•••
Also, $70+ to renew a .best is ridiculous.Brad

Yes it is. Even $17 to $18 is high, imo. What with .best being a relatively obscure extension to the public, few sales and little or no sale inquiries or ppc revenue and mostly light traffic it's sadly hard to justify renewals above $5 to maybe $10 on the top-side.

•••
Not just fees... More important - it was always hidden for almost all endusers...
Lack of any active marketing in the previous years...
Just this year some registrars started to promote it...

p.s. Few weeks at GoDaddy main page - and you will see another results...

•••
l
....Indeed, as it is easily understandable, registrars would prefer that all domains registered before the effective pricing change date (5th August 2019) have to be "still" renewed at the old wholesale price while, of course, registrants/domainers, in the other sense, would prefer all domains to be renewed at the new reduced price......

I have not been following the newer tlds (or registering many of them except .best) and not aware their renewal pricing methods could allow standard non-premium (wholesale?) names to be renewed by some registrars at old high prices not the current lower and standard pricing. I did not know it was happening until now. Is it widespread?

Does that also occur on other newer tlds or just ,best? I don't want to do business with a registrar who would refuse to renew at the current cost and instead demand an old higher price on non-premium names. Clearly the old $70 to $83 .best prices were not marketed as being premiums before.

When I purchased one name at Godaddy early Feb 2019 all .best were $83 standard prices including made up worthless names I checked as a test at the time. Sorry Cyril, I fail to understand the logic that these names are now said to be premium and do not qualify for new $17-$18 renewals.

Last edited:
•••
I agree.
The optimal solution here for Registry: move those domains into the premium list only after their drop.
But if already registered domains were STANDARD from the beginning - then renewal must be STANDARD as well, at current rates regardless of Reg dates.

•••
Trolley.best.png

•••
•••
l

I have not been following the newer tlds (or registering many of them except .best) and not aware their renewal pricing methods could allow standard non-premium (wholesale?) names to be renewed by some registrars at old high prices not the current lower and standard pricing. I did not know it was happening until now. Is it widespread?

Does that also occur on other newer tlds or just ,best? I don't want to do business with a registrar who would refuse to renew at the current cost and instead demand an old higher price on non-premium names. Clearly the old $70 to $83 .best prices were not marketed as being premiums before.

When I purchased one name at Godaddy early Feb 2019 all .best were $83 standard prices including made up worthless names I checked as a test at the time. Sorry Cyril, I fail to understand the logic that these names are now said to be premium and do not qualify for new $17-$18 renewals.

Thanks for your feedback.

Once again : please, don't mix-up the status of a domain with the pricing of a domain.

A premium domain can even have a lower price that a standard domain.

FYI, all registries have the rights (according to their RRA with registrars) to modify or update their premium price list.

What happened to the .Best (even if almost all ngtlds had also already changed many times their premium list) is that we had the legacy of domains that was registered before our acquisition or price change notification to registrars in Feb 2019 and that need to respect also our RRA with registrars.

We NEVER increase the price of a registered domain for a registrant but neither want to decrease the price of a registered domain for a registrar without our prior notification.

This is why the compromise date in our transition pricing process to a lower .Best pricing was taken at the date of notification to our registrars.

But once again also, I can totally understand some frustration for "old registrants" but we had to find a fair date between registrars and registrants.

Regarding your own case and the case of "old-registrants", and as you mention, all domains that you bought before Feb 2019, you bought them and registered them at $83, and most important, you know also that you will have to renew them at $83 the next year and the years after !

Exactly like all other registrants that are actually renewing their "old" .Best domains.

Also, as I mention, if we were really unfair, we could even legally decide to choose the date of our effective price change (5th August 2019) as the new date for lowering our price on renewals but as we had notified registrars 6 months before (5th Feb 2019) and as a gesture of goodwill for our registrants, (99% of our .Best registrants were even not aware about this coming price change) I was thinking that the fair date had to be 5th Feb 2019.

I know that the situation is not perfect for a couple of registrants and this is why I am here to help you and other registrants that have registered .Best domains before 5th Feb 2019 get a discount on renewals with your preferred registrar on a one to one basis.

Globally, I don't want to minimize here the situation but only a few registrants are concerned by this situation and most of them already renew their domains in the long term (even before our price change notification). FYI, the .Best registry had a renewal rate up to 90% on the last 3 months.

So I am sure that I can assist you and older registrants to get a discount renewal price on old-registered domains with a registrar.

My email is : [email protected] - don't hesitate if you have problem or need any assistance on renewal with your .Best domains.

All the .Best

CF

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back