Dynadot

debate What are the best gTLDs?

NameSilo
Watch

Account Closed
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What are the best gTLDs?
You are going to have to define the term "best" and you will have to expect that this conversation will be heavily based in opinion.

If you are talking about nTLDs and defining "best" as being most popular, then I suggest that you look at the stats on nTLDstats(dot)com. You will find a lot of information there as far as how numbers play out for nTLDs.

If you are talking about "best" as being defined as most profitable, (and you are including .COM) then there is no real argument that .COM is the most profitable (if you know what you are doing and select the correct names).

Everything else is just a gamble (speculation as I see it).
If you clear up your question a bit and define exactly what you are looking for, then we can probably share our opinions with you.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers

•••
•••
You are going to have to define the term "best" and you will have to expect that this conversation will be heavily based in opinion.

If you are talking about nTLDs and defining "best" as being most popular, then I suggest that you look at the stats on nTLDstats(dot)com. You will find a lot of information there as far as how numbers play out for nTLDs.

If you are talking about "best" as being defined as most profitable, (and you are including .COM) then there is no real argument that .COM is the most profitable (if you know what you are doing and select the correct names).

Everything else is just a gamble (speculation as I see it).
If you clear up your question a bit and define exactly what you are looking for, then we can probably share our opinions with you.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers
Thanks

•••
•••
.Club
.Work

.Club probably has/had the best marketing campaign (haven't heard anything from them in recent times) and some of the best sales numbers of nTLDs.

.Work is a personal favorite of mine. They where very generous in the names that they had open for non-premium prices. The extension has sold very well (in the top 15 ntlds) for an extension that has no advertising to speak of and very little of the names are parked (so they are being used).
Plus it has a great price point (less then $10 per year).

Cheers

•••
.Club probably has/had the best marketing campaign (haven't heard anything from them in recent times) and some of the best sales numbers of nTLDs.

.Work is a personal favorite of mine. They where very generous in the names that they had open for non-premium prices. The extension has sold very well (in the top 15 ntlds) for an extension that has no advertising to speak of and very little of the names are parked (so they are being used).
Plus it has a great price point (less then $10 per year).

Cheers
Thanks for explaining your opinion in detail.

Last edited:
•••
•••
.io

proof - several several sites coming up with .io extension.. it's not just pure speculation as someone sees it.. some projects have even got huge funding.. .IO has been in the news since 2012.. it's definitely 'Not' speculation...

.xyz is picking up and will gain more and more popularity in the days to come
i also think .online will do well after a period of time since it makes 'sense'

•••
•••
•••
.io

proof - several several sites coming up with .io extension.. it's not just pure speculation as someone sees it.. some projects have even got huge funding.. .IO has been in the news since 2012.. it's definitely 'Not' speculation...

.xyz is picking up and will gain more and more popularity in the days to come
i also think .online will do well after a period of time since it makes 'sense'

As far as ccTLDs go, .IO has made a bit of a splash in the startup world and if you want to include ccTLDs into the gTLD category, then maybe you can make an argument for .IO.
If you consider that the average sale price is around $670 for a domain that costs $80-$100 per year you would have to do fast flips to be profitable.

As far as speculation, its just a term used for making decisions based on guesswork *OR* something that does NOT have a LONG and PROVEN track record.
.IO for instance (just off the top of my head) has a very short track record to show any real proven trends,
(3 years of fluctuation, does not a trend make) as opposed to say .COM who has over 20 years of data and sales. Much less speculation needs to be made when dealing in .COM.

That aside, .XYZ has surely been the topic of many of us domainers. It is just coming off of some (quote) NEWS (unquote) where Google is utilizing a singular for their holding company.
Holding company.... not their profit making companies (Google, Youtube, Android, or even less lucrative businesses like Picasa or AOL).
Nope not anything that would draw attention to the extension... their holding company in which the majority of the world will never visit (even once).
An argument can be made that maybe, domainers (as a whole) get too excited over quick snapshots of success.

Who knows for sure... this is all new (TLDs) so there is no real and long track record in to which you can make a well informed guess. One may even say... its all speculation at this point.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers

•••
•••
.com

All the rest are just gimmicks

•••
.io is an overpriced CCtld that works just for some start-ups

.xyz's 15 mins of fame is just about up

•••
if you want to include ccTLDs into the gTLD category, then maybe you can make an argument for .IO.

No, I didn't mean to include that in gTLDs list..my mistake..

.IO for instance (just off the top of my head) has a very short track record to show any real proven trends,
(3 years of fluctuation, does not a trend make) as opposed to say .COM who has over 20 years of data and sales. Much less speculation needs to be made when dealing in .COM.

I don't think we can compare the popularity of any gtlds or cctlds with .com. 3 yrs of media attention and rising popularity with big sales happening every now and then is still good and thats why i think it still hogs the limelight..

Who knows for sure... this is all new (TLDs) so there is no real and long track record in to which you can make a well informed guess. One may even say... its all speculation at this point.

Yeah, we never know! Let's get on the boat and hope to make a fortune out of it, by playing "safe" :D

•••
.io is an overpriced CCtld that works just for some start-ups

.xyz's 15 mins of fame is just about up

Surprising to see you say this about xyz with FEW.xyz in your sign :)

•••
Surprising to see you say this about xyz with FEW.xyz in your sign :)

That's one of the few good ones. ;) ABC.XYZ FEW.XYZ, etc. it has to be short and alphabetic. :)

•••
Yeah, we never know! Let's get on the boat and hope to make a fortune out of it, by playing "safe" :D

I think the days of 6 or 7 digit payouts from nTLDs will be rare if ever existent.

My personal point of view looking forward, is that we will see some sort of equilibrium within TLDs (across the board) and thus will see lower premiums paid for domain names (regardless of extension).
I think more attention will be paid to CONTENT of a website/domain name. Content will be key as we see the worlds devices become "SMART".
Far will be the days of going to such and such website... and more often then not it will be more general (i.e. "Italian restaurants in my town". "What is on their menu"?) Smart devices will choose information where content is king.

Those are just my thoughts from things that I spy with my calibrated eye. (Maybe tin foil hat time!?!?)

Who knows for sure.

Cheers

•••
I think the days of 6 or 7 digit payouts from nTLDs will be rare if ever existent.

Who knows for sure.

Cheers

Right. I agree on that!

•••
Hello,

IMO, the best new gTLDs are:

.NEWS, .MUSIC, .MOVIE, .DOMAINS, .APP, .FITNESS, .CLUB, .WORK, .WEB, .WORLD, .GUIDE, .ONLINE, .SHOP, .SPORT, .RADIO, .HOTEL, APARTMENTS, PROPERTY and .FREE

If I could only choose three, I'd go for: .NEWS, .SHOP and .WEB

Last edited:
•••
All this new tld's are the best..the best way to waste your money. Launch of this new tlds made even .net reputation downgraded.

•••
All this new tld's are the best..the best way to waste your money. Launch of this new tlds made even .net reputation downgraded.

We are at least a few ones gaining from them: *link removed*

Edit: Removed a link to another forum as I'm not sure if I'm allowed to add these here.

Last edited:
•••
We are at least a few ones gaining from them:
Sold to whom? Any end user? Domains which have demand only by domainers actually not have any real value.

•••
Sold to whom? Any end user? Domains which have demand only by domainers actually not have any real value.

I can only speak for myself and I sold about 30. Both to domainers and end-users. About 10 (maybe more) have been existing small or middle-sized companies or start-ups. I wrote about it yesterday, or the day before, on this forum.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back