IT.COM

discuss What after .COM?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Which extension do you think is the next big hit after .COM and .ORG?

Name an extension that you really really believe in!

For me, it is .CO

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.DE has been the best for me

•••
Depends I think on whether one word or two and if already taken for some time in net org.
Geo targeting would be aim.

•••
.com will be the big hit for a long time.

.co and .io are popular but they are not .com and .org.

Short first names .com and .org are my way to go.

•••

For me, it is .CO

I blow hot and cold. .Co was HOT. But seems to have been passed by some country codes, like .IO But it seems whatever I invest in freezes like an iceburg at the north pole :) But currently my second choice is again .Co. I think you can't avoid the similarities with .Com :) Except the renewals :( I would basically rate .COM, .Co, only. I'm dropping almost all of my GTLD's except .Com. Most of my country codes I'm going to drop. Including most of my .Co's. I'm going to fixate on the Global market. I like some relevant keywords in some of the NGTLD's. You need to be careful with .Co. It's not like .COM where anything goes. Best to stick to one word, commercial keywords, initials. Don't get the idea that any.Co will sell. Most are only filling the .Co Registrar's pockets.

Last edited:
•••
If I own the .com for a site that matters to me I almost feel obligated to get the matching .co because its only 1 letter off. Otherwise I dont personally care about it. I personally think .io is better.

•••
•••
Any reason behind that?

If I own the .com for a site that matters to me I almost feel obligated to get the matching .co because its only 1 letter off. Otherwise I dont personally care about it. I personally think .io is better.

If it's something you are developing, definitely. If you are doing it for investment, you may or may not do it, depending on the domain name.

I blow hot and cold. .Co was HOT. But seems to have been passed by some country codes, like .IO But it seems whatever I invest in freezes like an iceburg at the north pole :) But currently my second choice is again .Co. I think you can't avoid the similarities with .Com :) Except the renewals :( I would basically rate .COM, .Co, only. I'm dropping almost all of my GTLD's except .Com. Most of my country codes I'm going to drop. Including most of my .Co's. I'm going to fixate on the Global market. I like some relevant keywords in some of the NGTLD's. You need to be careful with .Co. It's not like .COM where anything goes. Best to stick to one word, commercial keywords, initials. Don't get the idea that any.Co will sell. Most are only filling the .Co Registrar's pockets.

Maybe sell them off on NamePros to recover the investment, if possible. People like @Brands.International are heavy and expert investors(as per their posts - I am no expert but seeing the enthusiasm, I believe they are). Maybe they like some of your new gTLD investments and buy it.

•••
Any reason behind that?

If it's something you are developing, definitely. If you are doing it for investment, you may or may not do it, depending on the domain name.

Maybe sell them off on NamePros to recover the investment, if possible. People like @Brands.International are heavy and expert investors(as per their posts - I am no expert but seeing the enthusiasm, I believe they are). Maybe they like some of your new gTLD investments and buy it.
Definitely, if you guys have some decent new gTLDs just DM me - I am buying atm. But they have to be decent, and many names which people are dropping are unfortunatelly no near to anything I would personally use word "decent". But exceptions are there, so I am waiting with my mind open and hopeful to get some quality :)

•••
.co was popular because .com typo? :) dont get offended guys.

My next guess that will be popular is .tv but it needs help from companies who create browsers, and companies who create devices likes Roku, and Search Engines where they should detect or promote only that it is real TV (schedule shows etc) not just "coming soon" HTML or even "domain for sale". Once there are 50 broadcasters using this .tv domain properly and get promoted then .tv will be rocketing popular.

•••
Indeed a bold prediction @barman :xf.grin:! I am rethinking the holding of my extensive (I have one :-P) .horse holdings as a result of your prediction :xf.wink:.

I actually predict that no single TLD will challenge .com. Now before proponents of everything else jump on me, it is not that I do not see growth in both country code and new g TLDs, I do, but it will be distributed growth. The great across the dot matches in many different new gTLDs will find buyers and users, and I see slow but steady growth in both restricted and general purpose country codes.

If you really forced me to pick one, it probably would be .co. I think it has the potential to get much bigger, but will depend on how well the registry promote and handle it in terms of assurances re long term management and pricing.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
•••
For me, .com, .org, .io, .tv

In that order

•••
...If it's something you are developing, definitely. If you are doing it for investment, you may or may not do it, depending on the domain name...

Precisely the implication of what I meant when I said for a site to matter to me. IE something ai am developing. Sorry if that wasnt more clear. :xf.smile:

As for investment purposes the only real ccTLD I care about is .io because it's so popular with tech startups and tech is the industry I come from. I would not necessarily be opposed to a .co though if it were really good but it's not something I personally actively look for.

•••
•••
I am a 99% er in .com and .org , but i latch onto a .de every now and then. I have never owned a .co or .io , but I think the neutral of .io not exactly pointing to anything specific is more desirable to me if I had no choice.

•••
•••

Under normal circumstances, I don't sell, or look to sell, domains to other domainers. Because they are not paying anything like retail prices :)

•••
depends on the industry. For tech, it's .io.

but nothign beats the KING LEL :D C'mon guyzzzz B-)B-)

. . .except .xyz ofc.

•••
I can’t fathom the thought without .com 😫

How often do I type in a extension other than .com , 🤔, once in a blue moon, so other extensions will cost a great deal of money to get traffic to, and I am a cheapoe

•••
.io has been equally as good to me as .com so that would be mine.

•••

Next big hits, after com and org, I agree with Hawkes, don't know that there ever will be. At least not in the same way we're used to. Hits come and go now, like what's the flavour of the month? Whereas established, credible extensions like the orgs have earned their keep, they are no longer a hit, they are a mainstay.

So if we manage to have some hits that turn into popular adoptions, none of them will be in the same scale that we've had in the past, with just the one or two at the helm of the ship. It'll be a combination of TLDs, as Bob said "distributed growth" likely we'll see a rise and then a leveling out of some new gTLDs that seem to fit best with what people want.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was rise at some point of tlds like .site or .online, they could make a hit and then become a mainstay, just because they seemingly as neutral with many names left of the dot as .com is.

An extension I really believe in and vested in is .one.

•••
I'm going with .net, even though it's not as fun and trendy as .co, .io, or .ai.

I've made consistent lower priced sales of my two-word .net names in the past couple years, and solid single words in .net continue to hold value.

It's old. It's trusted. And people recognize it. Believe in .net!

•••
We will not see any big hits...
Aftermarket in terms of average prices is trending down from year to year... regardless of TLD.

•••
.co for me.

.org is limited.
.io is limited.

•••
Back