Dynadot

question If .COM is unavailable, what do you do?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Suppose you love a name whose .COM is unavailable, but other extensions are available. Do you choose a different name or do you go for another extension? Which one?

I personally go for .CO for the same name, if at all it is available and is not marked as premium. It looks like a comfortable second option to me, after .COM.

What about you people?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Searchbox...
Tons of such threads already...

•••
Find a different .com
Love like np members comes and goes

•••
Find another great premium .com for sale.

•••
Depends on the industry and target market. I really like the crypto/blockchain/decentralized space for hand regs. If .com is unavailable, popular in the crypto industry are .org, .network and .app.

Personally, I stay away from .co as there is too much confusion with .com.

Obviously, all opinion.

•••
I go with the .net or .org version if it's available but .com is not. In very rare cases I might go with .cc if it's a dictionary word of 5 letters or less

•••
99% just find another dot com. Otherwise .co.

•••
Sometimes you can add the word site to it or the word webpage or website but usually it's not worth doing so and the same domain in .net would look nicer if .com is taken

•••
Rarely go to .co, too confusing. Try .io or .org but never ever go with .net.

•••
Suppose you love a name whose .COM is unavailable, but other extensions are available. Do you choose a different name or do you go for another extension? Which one?

I personally go for .CO for the same name, if at all it is available and is not marked as premium. It looks like a comfortable second option to me, after .COM.

What about you people?

Try .co zone :)

•••
Ask current site owner if they consider selling. You still want the best name for the business.

Last edited:
•••
.de and/or .com.au

Cheers
Corey

•••
•••
@lock yes I am, NSW, Sutherland Shire

Cheers
Corey

•••
.org / .in ( country code )

•••
Stick to .COM as long as it is very important business which needs to make money. For hobby sites and blogs, that have no company behind them, I think choosing .net is even better than .co, cause chances of your users going to the .com when you have a .co is high. This is what I believe.

•••
I will chose a different name in .com

•••
•••
i go, "AHHHHHH, its taken!" then i look for another .com. My regs for other extensions are on purpose. :)

Last edited:
•••

What about you people?
Depends,

If my target market mainly from India than I will use .IN and .Co.in

If my target market is world wide and my startup in Technology niche than I will go with .io

But .co still a good choice in most cases.

Imo

•••
Depends on the industry and target market. I really like the crypto/blockchain/decentralized space for hand regs. If .com is unavailable, popular in the crypto industry are .org, .network and .app.

Personally, I stay away from .co as there is too much confusion with .com.

Obviously, all opinion.
.app? How did it work for you in terms of investment?

I go with the .net or .org version if it's available but .com is not. In very rare cases I might go with .cc if it's a dictionary word of 5 letters or less
Still .net? Is it a fair bet?

Sometimes you can add the word site to it or the word webpage or website but usually it's not worth doing so and the same domain in .net would look nicer if .com is taken
Still confused about the .net part. Is it still a good investment? I hardly see a search result with .net

.org / .in ( country code )
How is .in doing? Still a liquid market? I heard sales are slow.

•••
•••
•••
I will go with .com if it is not available by being a little creative, adding suffix, prefix etc. Or I will try to negotiate the price of the .com domain which is not available.

•••
It is a good question @abstractdomainer, but I think difficult to answer in general. I do not disagree with your suggestion that if you really want a specific name, no chance in .com but available in .co, I would probably go with that.

That said though, I think it depends on type of application.
  • If some sense of network, would probably go .net or .network.
  • In many cases, .org should be considered.
  • If at all gaming related, would consider .gg despite high renewal.
  • For tech would definitely consider .io and .tech or .technology
  • For artificial intelligence would consider .ai of course as well as .io
  • If it is an industry type with a new gTLD I would seriously consider that, especially if not too late to register a name that exactly matches that (like my corporate name is Example Agency and i register Example.agency). I would of course look at who is using, and how, ExampleAgency .com.
  • There are a few new gTLDs that I like for general purpose use, for names where it seems to fit. For example .one has reasonable and consistent renewal, lack of abuse, some real world use, feels elegant with certain words.
  • Depending on nature of business, if just in one region, often the country code is the right choice.
Bob

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back