NameSilo

What after .COM?

Labeled as discuss in Domain Extensions started by Arpit131, Jan 22, 2020.

Replies:
Views:

1. DpakH

DpakH Established Member

I think .co.
    As most of the start up comps is not only software firms which may use .io extension
    Just my opinion
    Thanks
    DpakH

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Almarri.Company

Almarri.Company AZ.Company VIP

Simple , who give the .com value = companies .

So it will be .company , You can get good profit from the end user . B-)

3. Namesolve

Namesolve Established Member

To me .com .net .xyz then .org

4. bmugford

bmugford www.DataCube.com PRO ICA Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

My order is .COM, then .ORG (if the term fits), then .NET.
    I have also had good success with .US.

Brad

5. stub

stub DNStore.com PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Is there anything that you can point to about your success with .US? A particular niche, or something else? How and where do you sell them? My personal experience with .US has been absolutely appauling, mostly with dictionary or common terms. I'd like to learn from a master :)

6. NonHipster

NonHipster Restricted (15-30%)

.Best will eventually catch on.
    Lame extensions .io .gg and all the other trendy extensions that only domainer's like.

7. Daniel Owens

Daniel Owens Upgraded Member Gold Account VIP

The residency requirements hurt .DE but since there is so many people in that region I think it's the 4th most popular extension. But, for people in USA it will never be used. However, on the plus side .de is 100X more popular in DE then .us

8. tomcarl

tomcarl Top Contributor VIP

After .COM and .ORG? .Net

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  9. ken.colvin

ken.colvin Established Member

I can't pick just one. The new gTLDs will own the internet. The paradigm shift is inevitable and new ventures with vision will be demanding not only immense branding potential but a multiplicity of alternatives to identify with their markets. Aggressiveness will be the name of the game and enterprises will develop multiple websites with unique and masterful methods of utilizing the new extensions to connect with ultimate consumers. Believe it, its coming. And when it does .com .net .org .co will all be irrelevant. Their potential is spent for developing market ownership with new upstarts wanting to dominate and disrupt the emerging tides and wealth ownership. Future is spelled ngTLDs. It's .hot!

10. otismo

otismo Established Member

ICU is happening right now in real time

and not just over promotion, either

big factor is renewal rates :

fun top ANYTHING

less than com

the com bubble implosion will be a rolling implosion and even if it imploded by half

com will STILL be KING - too many investors to let great names go begging

online will be the com challenger, in the distant future, unless us or usa

tv will be the next bubble

11. Grego85

Grego85 Quality.Domains

I go with any extension that can mix with the keyword to make either a brand, an exact match term, or (rarely) some other form of relevance.

It's not about any one extension, it's about all of them, and what they can be relevantly used for. It doesn't matter to me if an extension only has 15 good names or 15000000 good names, as long as I can get THOSE names.

12. MapleDots

MapleDots Domain Properties 2002 - 2020 VIP

The death of the internet

13. ThatNameGuy

ThatNameGuy Restricted (15-30%) Gold Account

It's .CO for me too. I find that many really good two word domains that are taken are available in .co, and if you choose an industry like finance, real estate or building you have a much better of selling your name for a reasonable return. I only own about a dozen .co's, but I would use them for my startup in a heartbeat if the .com was taken.

14. AdamFL

AdamFL Established Member

I see that domainers usually comment based on their portfolio i.e if they invested in .io they try to push .io and so on. This thread is not going to change the way things are going.
    Byte.co was released this week and it's another example that .co is doing the job for startups.

15. MapleDots

MapleDots Domain Properties 2002 - 2020 VIP

And if we tell ourselves that long enough then we may just begin to believe it.

FACT: startups pick the .co because the .com is taken

FACT: a lot of startups try to buy the .com when they become profitable

FACT: the .co will always sell at a fraction of the price of the .com

FACT: a lot of people still don't feel comfortable with .co because it TOO CLOSELY resembles the .com

FACT: most facts are not based on facts and are actually made up :xf.laugh:

16. Joe Nichols

Joe Nichols Common sense consultant VIP

Is it doing the job better than other extensions? Do you have any data to share that shows .co is the clear frontrunner?

17. AdamFL

AdamFL Established Member

I'm not a data guy maybe you should ask @Bob Hawkes :) All my comments are based on what I see trending.

Byte was on the top list within the first 24 hours of it's launch and that's not just because of the .co of course.

18. Joe Nichols

Joe Nichols Common sense consultant VIP

Bob actually did a great blog post recently on sales volume of various extensions. You should check it out.

19. CrazyOldGoat

CrazyOldGoat Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

It will always be .com.

.co.uk / .de / .fr / .cn and other popular geo extensions will be equally as trusted.

.org for non-profits will be equally as trusted.

.net has been around forever and should probably be up there but I'd place it slightly lower. Just like with .co, people must wonder "if this is such a trusted company/website - why couldn't they get the top-level domain extension?"

.biz has been around just as long but still seems sketchy - I suppose because you don't call a business a bizness.

.co is technically Columbia's ccTLD but they're making too much money to care and tell customers to register .com.co for Columbian businesses. Also, I've always thought it was perfect for those with ill-intent hoping for visits from popular.com's to their .co's or even private emails that missed out the "m" at the end of .com by mistake. Although this article disagrees that .co domains are worthless (and they have some really great graphs):

https://growthbadger.com/top-level-domains/

[​IMG]

This comment sums up my thoughts:

"It’s hilarious to me that people trust .co – a country code top-level domain for Colombia – more than they do .org – a generic top-level domain used by Wikipedia, non-profits, and other orgs."

20. chiuyau.com

chiuyau.com Di.Bi

In my opinion,

.com, net, org, io, (and other ccTLDs)

21. Recons.Com

Recons.Com Top Contributor VIP

Great research, but there are some design flaws in it. Part of low trust (even .com had only 3.5) could have been that people were also sharing their trust perception about "mattressrankings" as a brand.

And, of course, the demographics with 2/3 of 1500 people being 26-40 is strange. And we don't know if there was also some selection bias. Maybe, they offered the survey to 6000, only 1500 agreed, but those who agreed and even offered might have been part of the shared affinity and not represent the general population.

22. CrazyOldGoat

CrazyOldGoat Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Yeah you're right and I'd be incredibly interested in. The difference between 13-21 year olds and those over 25 as the younger generation have always had a large number of extensions so it may be more normal for them.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice