IT.COM

UDRP Were I in UDRP Risk?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

AMRO1001

Upgraded Member
Impact
Well bought a .com domain in godaddy expired auctions for $1300, sold for $7000 in less than a month...via outbound email

The buyer is in a Country in Africa operating under .today!! , and the website is very important to them.. ecommerce transactions are going on every day...

They just started 2 years ago, with no trade mark in the usa..but maybe in their own country

I think the domain should have been sold easily for 20k or even 50k if I were not worried from UDRP action

initially I parked the domain with efty.

So am I stupid for not asking higher? were I in legal risk? if I did not initiate outbound email, and waited them, would i have been safer? or I was lucky?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
with so many maybes, and no name, anyone who replies to you here will be guessing at best.

•••
It's hard to tell like @alcy said, too many variables.

Where in Africa was the buyer from?

**Got ur PM :) , replied**

Last edited:
•••
be glad you made a sale and move on

to question after the fact, is futile

imo...

•••
One fact is you asked for more than the cost of an UDRP, so you were not that worried.

•••
Well bought a .com domain in godaddy expired auctions for $1300, sold for $7000 in less than a month...via outbound email

The buyer is in a Country in Africa operating under .today!! , and the website is very important to them.. ecommerce transactions are going on every day...

They just started 2 years ago, with no trade mark in the usa..but maybe in their own country

I think the domain should have been sold easily for 20k or even 50k if I were not worried from UDRP action

initially I parked the domain with efty.

So am I stupid for not asking higher? were I in legal risk? if I did not initiate outbound email, and waited them, would i have been safer? or I was lucky?

udrp is not that common unless you engage in blatant cybersquatting.

there is always an incalculable risk. if you do outbound it is probably much higher. does not mean that it is very high. it really depends on the name, asking price, circumstances etc.. no one can tell you without seeing the name and even then, human behaviour is really hard to predict.

if you want risk near zero, you avoid names that could infringe, are not perfectly generic and don't do any outbound at all, don't offer them for sale and don't park.

•••
well it was f l y/e g y p t/c o m

Next time i should do better work estimating the udrp risk if it exists...

Last edited:
•••
when dealing with africa never trust the nigerian minister of finance. he has been very slow in paying.

•••
Surprisingly, nobody ever answered this guy's emails:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/13/africa/efcc-recovers-funds-nigeria/index.html

Lagos (CNN)The Nigerian anti-corruption unit discovered more than $43 million in US dollars at an upscale apartment in Lagos.

The anti-graft agency said in a statement it raided the apartment Tuesday after a tipoff about a "haggard" woman in "dirty clothes" taking bags in and out of the apartment.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back