Dynadot

Watch Out For NameBright / Dropcatch Billing

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Namebright will use any CC info updated on Dropcatch to charge for products on Namebright. As far as I read there is nothing in either TOS that authorizes this.

Sean at NameBright Customer Support is now threatening to suspended my NB AND Dropcatch accounts if I dispute CC charge for privacy renewal. The domains in question I transferred out anyway.

You can't get out of privacy billing unless you just cancel it. If you cancel, well, you cancel. Transfer out your domains from NB as soon as possible .

* There is no "don't auto renew" privacy option.
* The bill date is not always the same as the expiration date (they charge even 14 days before expiration).

NB in this one regard - taking payment info updated on Dropcatch to pay for their "cancel or GFY" privacy renewal on NB is scummy behavior.

@DropCatch Support

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
First year of privacy is free for .com's at NB. I would hope that these two factors were not meant to work together.

•••
I'm over this now since keeping the account is worth more than a few discounted renewal fees. I still don't like the way they go about the privacy renewal billing and the use of cc info across multiple websites is something that should require explicit permission.

•••
So they auto charge for second year of privacy ? What rate ?

And thanks for the heads up

•••
•••
So they auto charge for second year of privacy ? What rate ?

And thanks for the heads up

Yes, auto charge that you can't opt out of unless you just cancel the privacy. It's 2.95. The billing is also before the expiration, sometimes even two weeks. Just another thing to keep track of and it's also not the amount itself just a principle of the thing. CC info is so spread out over so many websites and merchants that I'm always on the lookout for any surprise charges or cc use by anyone.

Last edited:
•••
I got charged auto privacy on a name dropping in 15 days. You have to move them out or remove privacy or you will be charged. No warning no reminder.

•••
I got burned by this x3 just today.

Very likely I'll be saying goodbye to this registrar. I don't take kindly to tricks.

•••
Can someone help me understand here? The three names referred to above are NOT under privacy!

Also, one of the names was renewed in June!?!? I guess it does NOT pay to fund my account, in the long run.

•••
My partner has a dropcatch & namebright account when I/she win/s a domain I/she push the domain to my namebright account......

Problem solved....

•••
Can someone help me understand here? The three names referred to above are NOT under privacy!

Also, one of the names was renewed in June!?!? I guess it does NOT pay to fund my account, in the long run.

Well I don't know how it works if you reg a domain with NB but if a domain you got at dropcatch gets put into your NB account it does not initially have privacy. You have to manually turn it on. You get the first year free and then 2.95 renewal per year after that. The billing for renewal is before the expiration of your domain - and the exact day before I guess can vary. That creates two main problems.
1. You have to remember to review domains at NB at least a month before expiration.
2. If you decide to let a domain expire you have to still go in and manually turn off privacy else it will be renewed. If you turn of manually privacy on a domain you want to drop - you just turned off your privacy. If you forget then privacy gets renewed on a domain you meant to let drop. If you want to drop the domain and keep your privacy you pay an additional 2.95 on a domain you intend to let drop.

At least that's my understanding of the issues created around this way they do privacy billing. I haven't asked support if you intend to let a domain drop if they will keep privacy on till it drops. I don't think so though. Even if they did it would be additional work to contact support etc...

It's just a weird way to do the billing.

Last edited:
•••
100 whois privacy billed today whereas I only have 52 domains on DC ,all with privacy OFF !!!

•••
Isnt this what ICANN is for??

Why else do we pay them 18 cents dn for??

Lol so unethical. Who charges for Privacy?
Even # NoDaddy stopped doing that.

Samer

•••
100 whois privacy billed today whereas I only have 52 domains on DC ,all with privacy OFF !!!
OMG.
So, transfer away namebright domains on 61th day after initial acquisition seems to be the only option.... Would not harm anyway.

•••
Thanks for the heads up, had some names expiring in 20 days so you guys definitely saved me some unnecessary frustrations. It's these types of practices that made me transfer all my domains from a certain registrar that rhymes with Rice Paddy.

•••
I got burned by this x3 just today.

Very likely I'll be saying goodbye to this registrar. I don't take kindly to tricks.
I want you to know that the renewal charges you saw last night have been fully refunded. There was an error in a process that ran and we immediately refunded every transaction. The process will not run again until we have absolute certainty that it will not renew any service that is not actively scheduled based on your account settings to auto-renew.

We apologize greatly for the confusion and any inconvenience that it caused you. If you or anyone in this thread has questions about their particular transaction or would like me to confirm that your account received a refund, please reach out to me. If you have questions regarding NameBright or DropCatch please always feel free to tag me in your post as I am able to provide any information I have available or assistance on your account.

Again, we would like to apologize for any confusion or inconvenience and encourage you to reach out if you have further questions!

Natalie

•••
I want you to know that the renewal charges you saw last night have been fully refunded. There was an error in a process that ran and we immediately refunded every transaction. The process will not run again until we have absolute certainty that it will not renew any service that is not actively scheduled based on your account settings to auto-renew.

We apologize greatly for the confusion and any inconvenience that it caused you. If you or anyone in this thread has questions about their particular transaction or would like me to confirm that your account received a refund, please reach out to me. If you have questions regarding NameBright or DropCatch please always feel free to tag me in your post as I am able to provide any information I have available or assistance on your account.

Again, we would like to apologize for any confusion or inconvenience and encourage you to reach out if you have further questions!

Natalie
That’s how it’s done, @Natalie Lynch !

Samer

•••
I got a domain via dropcatch, paid for it and they have refused to delivery in my namebright account ,support not replying as well, has anyone experienced this?

@Natalie Lynch

•••
I got a domain via dropcatch, paid for it and they have refused to delivery in my namebright account ,support not replying as well, has anyone experienced this?

@Natalie Lynch
DM me your username. I will get it addressed right away!

•••
•••
Thanks for the reminder, over time I've had some of these renew unexpectedly also, since they are not clear about it.

I just checked, and many of my domains are showing an incorrect privacy auto-renew date also. "Privacy will be renewed on September 21 2022" (coincidentally one year from today) even though many of these domains still have lots of time before the registration expires. So there's no way that's correct.

Very unprofessional all around from NameBright! Registrants beware!

Since their system is incorrect, I will dispute any such charges I get. I don't care if it's $0.10 or $2.95, I'm not paying for BS charges.

Attachments

• namebright-example.jpg
    namebright-example.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the reminder, I've had some of these renew unexpectedly also, since they are not clear about it.

I just checked, and many of my domains are showing an incorrect auto-renew date also. "Privacy will be renewed on September 21 2022" (coincidentally one year from today) even though many of these domains still have lots of time before the registration expires.

Very unprofessional all around from NameBright! Registrants beware!
DM me directly with your username and I will take a look and resolve any issues that exist!

•••
Back