IT.COM

Was I lied to? Purchased a VPS that was supposed to be in Toronto...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Hayes

Expert DeveloperEstablished Member
Impact
Reverse IP shows it's in Denver, Colorado. The IP in question is 108.174.153.111. I hope someone with more knowledge might be able to explain any possible reason for this.

---------- Post added at 02:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 AM ----------

Here is a TraceRoute http://network-tools.com/default.asp?prog=trace&host=108.174.153.111

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They may be telling the truth.

The traceroute suggests that Toronto is at least on the transit route.

The IP block is assigned to World Wide Web Hosting, LLC, with an address in Colorado:
http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-108-174-144-0-1/pft

Some hosting providers use datacenters in different locations, even different countries.

The physical location of your server could be anywhere in the world actually. Because the servers don't have to be located in the premises of the hosting provider.

•••
Why not ask the provider?

•••
GeoIP is showing the IP in Denver. Go to geoiptool in google and enter the IP address. I can't post links. However, as the above post suggested you can always confirm with the host.

•••
GeoIP is showing the IP in Denver. Go to geoiptool in google and enter the IP address. I can't post links. However, as the above post suggested you can always confirm with the host.

GeoIP can also show the address of the IP block holder.

Traceroute suggests that the IP is hosted in Toronto.

•••
because there isn't anymore any new ipv4 ip, ip's are moving from provider to provider, so ip location can be changed all the time,
most ip location whois online don't frequently update their records

also if you received ip's from datacenter they located in few areas, ip location can moved from location to location.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back