Dynadot

Warning: Phone Numbers & Google

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Received in an email:

"Google has implemented a new feature
wherein you can type a telephone number
into the search bar and hit enter
and you will be given the person's name and address.
If you then hit MapQuest, you will get a map
to the person's house. Everyone should be aware of this!
Note that you can have your phone number
removed or blocked.
I tried our number and
it came up along with the mapquest and
directions straight to our house. I did fill out
the removal form for myself, and encourage
all of you to do the same. Quite scary. "

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It is bad enough already .... What are they thinking ??????? >:( People already invade our Privacy enough as it is .... not to mention the NUT CASES out there -

Thanks Dave !

EDIT : I know what they are thinking ! :$: Money pure and simple - They are trying to become the "Ultimate Phone Directory" as well .... >:(
I generally will defend googles moves and ideas .... But not this one !!!

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the info! They must have lost thier minds,What a stupid move on thier part imo.Next they will be offering a free taxi service to our doors lol.

•••
I suggest you forward this info to all your friends via email...

•••
in all honesty it isnt that difficult to find the information anyway google has just made it that much easier.

Someone is more likely to have your address rather than your phone number anyway in my opinion.

•••
Unless the number shows up on your caller id... or your domain whois

filth said:
Someone is more likely to have your address rather than your phone number anyway in my opinion.

•••
true but as you mentioned whois your address would be there anyway so what would stop them just using the map site themselves anyway

•••
what about international numbers...New Zealand numbers,I tried mine with and without +64 and it didn't come out..

•••
nor did mine which is a UK number

•••
how does it work i have tried but i found 0 results?

•••
What are they thinking!!

•••
I think it's only offered in the US as of now
but a very risky move by Google

•••
It gets worse. Here is a company that compiles data on people and builds a profile when you search on a name. It uses years of data pulled from the Internet. http://www.zoominfo.com/

I believe you do have an option to change or update information.

•••
I think this has been around for atleast 6 months, nothing new but not good.

The only numbers that are in google are numbers that are listed in the phone book, if yours is not listed in the phone book it's not in there.

•••
Well people can use MapQuest to get your address too I believe?

•••
You have to have their address first to use Mapquest...

The point of the post is, some phone numbers are accessible this way and people need to be aware of it.

Darkfire001 said:
Well people can use MapQuest to get your address too I believe?

•••
Yeah are there sites that do this and you just put your last name in and it can find where you live and your phone number. Scary but how can you get yourself blocked from this?

•••
That's OK folks - Don't worry about it at all ........ I'm sure folks like these won't mind !

Paul Bernardo
David Berkowitz
Kenneth Bianchi
Boston Strangler
Angelo Buono
Ted Bundy
Andrew Cunanan
Jeffrey Dahmer
Albert Fish
Caril Fugate
Eddie Gein
Green River Killer
Karla Homolka
Jack the Ripper
Edmund Kemper III
Charles Manson
Tommy Lynn Sells
Piggy Palace
Wesley Shermantine
Charlie Starkweather
Cary Stayner
Charlie Starkweather
Michael Swango
Unabomber
Fred & Rose West
Aileen Wuornos
Robert Yates
The Zodiac Killer

In fact - These kind of folks will love the ability to Hunt online :)

BTW - 12 Hours after filling out the form - and one of mine is now removed !

Last edited:
•••
You all are going nuts over somethign thats ALWAYS been there yet you dont think its wrong for the government to take away someones right to die? Oh man.... get real.

•••
ZuraX said:
You all are going nuts over somethign thats ALWAYS been there yet you dont think its wrong for the government to take away someones right to die? Oh man.... get real.

It hasn't always been there on google - zurax

and What the hell has one thing got to do with another ???? - People are still appraising domains as well .... Better go yell at them as well !

•••
The PRIVACY issue. Thats whats the same.

Also yes its always been there. I can input anyones name, address, phone, email and get a long list of stuff.

•••
lol..this email has been goin around since..geeesss.. my first days online... 1997 or so.

still waiting for an unwanted phone call. I guess the tech of caller ID, tracing, star 69..et al.. effectively eliminated any threats from this.

•••
You are correct there Lee ... Seems it's been around since late 2000 / Early 2001 -

But I still don't like it - lol

Business and Whois listings are bad enough ... We don't need to add conveniences for telemarketers and nut cases is all I'm saying .... and I'm so glad if you guys don't get phone "spam" any longer ... But most people do still - No matter what list you are on !

The PRIVACY issue. Thats whats the same

No - It is not the same .... This thread is about Phone numbers / addresses on google -

"That" thread is about something completely different ..... There's no need to merge them together just because your feelings told you "That" thread is more important ATM ~ Sorry if I was a bit abrupt myself but , It's like you're saying no one in this thread cares Which is definitely not True !

Peace B-) Serenity now .... Serenity now .... Serenity now .... :lol:

•••
Yes they are the same thing. People PRIVACY.

•••
I don't get my number .. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back