Domain Empire

Warning about stargateinc.com aka stargate.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I had a domain at stargateinc.com aka stargate.com and it expired last night. I forgot to renew it and today I went to renew it but its not in my account. I got an email right after that from them saying I need to fax a form to them to get it back.Guess how much they want to now renew it for a year.... $150!#@$@#$%

Same thing happened at namecheap.com a year aho and they only wanted the $8.88 it normally costs. I suggest everyone stay away from stargateinc.com when getting a domain.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
umm, i believe that's illegal.

imo, but i could be wrong on the exact statutes protecting you...but i believe it would fall under price gouging/blackmail.

•••
Check their TOS, what does it say?

•••
This is the policy they dont warn you about when registering. Plus when I registered this domain there was no "redemption period". Plus if it takes this long to renew the domain why can NameCheap do it within minutes?

Expiration and Auto-renewal Policy

STARGATE sends domain name renewal notices at the following intervals prior to expiration: 60, 30, 15, 7, 1 day prior to expiration and the expiration date. Renewal notices are sent to the Administrative and Billing contacts email address.

STARGATE places domain names into a 40 day "Late Renewal" grace period the following day after expiration (approximatley 7 hours after expiration date). During the grace period Stargate may, at it's sole discretion, route expired domains to a holding page of our choice. Renewing a domain name during the Late Renewal Grace Period is subject to a fee of $99.95.

Domain names released by STARGATE adter the grace period, due to expiration, fall directly into Redemption Grace Period for a period of 30 days before releasing to general availability. The fee to restore a domain name from Redemption grace period is $200.00, this includes an additional registration year. Click here to download the Redemption Restore Form

The CUSTOMER is solely responsible for requesting a domain name to be restored from Redemption Period. Restoring a domain name from Redemption Period is a manual process which can take 24-72 hours to process after receiving the required documents.

•••
Sorry to hear it Zurax - Happened to me a few months ago at a different Reg - I'm afraid it Really does come down to the TOS :( - Cost me 110$ + I transferred out for 5.50 more ........

•••
They may have gained $110, but lost much more.. can't believe some of these "businesses" are so poorly run.

all4cost said:
Sorry to hear it Zurax - Happened to me a few months ago at a different Reg - I'm afraid it Really does come down to the TOS :( - Cost me 110$ + I transferred out for 5.50 more ........

•••
As soon as I have $88.80 my other 10 domains are gone from there. I cant support sites that rip people off.

•••
Ive never used them and never will, i always stick with NameCheap, GoDaddy or Enom if i can:D

•••
Thanks for letting everyone know. I'm sure they just lost lots of future business from everyone here.

Frank

•••
I originally started using them when they had a ref program that paid $1 per domain you or someone using your link registered. I never made it to the min payout and now I think the affiliate program is gone.

•••
Nothing used the service you mentioned above, thanks for bringing it up to our attention. Hope everything goes okay for you.

•••
Namecheap can restore domains almost instantly because they aren't in redemption period. Once in redemption period it takes longer to restore them. Some registrars charge more to restore domains from the redemption period.

•••
always use a well known registrar such as godaddy or enom for your domains.

•••
Well according to StarGate if I dont pay them $100 now then in about 45 days they will use the domain as they see fit.

The information regarding your domain being in redemption was incorrect. Unfortunately, the actual status is that your domain name has expired and is currently in the Late Renewal period. To renew a name during the Late Renewal period, the cost is $99.95. If you wish to renew this name, complete the attached form and return it to me via fax. If you choose not to renew the name it will remain in the Late Renewal period for as many as 45 days after which, the name will be allocated for use at Stargate's discretion. Please be aware that the Late Renewal period is your opportunity to retain the domain name. If you choose not to, the name may not be available for registration in the future. Let me know if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Don Welbourn
Stargate Holdings Corp.
VP Sales / Consumer Relations
800-282-6541 ext 22.
[email protected]
www.stargate.com

•••
Zurax,

Contact Don at 630-369-1651 xt. 22 or [email protected] directly, we just changed our policy this morning.

Stargate.com now offers a 40 day grace period to renew the domain without the full Redemption cost or wait.

If you contact Don, he should be able to renew the domain name for you at our current rate of $6.95

-Tom

Last edited:
•••
Tom

Thanks I have emailed him because I do not have long distance. Also thanks for changing the policy. :)

•••
Wow, it pays to be a Nper! :kickass:

•••
Good to hear it :tu: I imagine that Felt like a relief huh ZuraX ?

•••
It is but still waiting on a reply to the email.

•••
ZuraX, looks like things are going to work out.

Welcome Stargate, - Good to have you on board!

domaindude

•••
ZuraX said:
It is but still waiting on a reply to the email.

Can you email me your domain and I will make sure it is responded to asap. My contact is [email protected]

-Tom

domaindude said:
ZuraX, looks like things are going to work out.

Welcome Stargate, - Good to have you on board!

domaindude

Thanks. Stargate is committed 100% to meeting your needs. Any questions or problems you, or anyone else, has contact me directly at [email protected]

-Tom

Ben42 said:
Wow, it pays to be a Nper! :kickass:

Ben,

Are you local? You are welcome to stop by.

-Tom

•••
Tom,
I just sent you a pm. Please let me know how to procceed with my domain. Welcome to NP. :)

•••
•••
Good to registrars checking these boards

•••
Hey all the domain was renewed and I am happy but I just noticed its not in my account on the site. :(

•••

Popular this week

• The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back