IT.COM

information VPN.com LLC has filed a multimillion lawsuit

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
VPN.com LLC has filed a multimillion lawsuit against long time domain investor George Dikian (California), Qiang Du (Hong Kong) and John Doe at the US District Court (California).

The lawsuit involves a $250,000 payment in Bitcoin and $6.625 million in owed commissions on multiple transactions involving 96 premium 2N.com and 3N.com domains.

read more

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This thread is forcing me to visit vpn.com... I have never heard about them before..

•••
I can guarantee the scammer used vpn to scam vpn.com :xf.wink:

lol @ trying to play the buyer and seller and take their cut in the middle...

Last edited:
•••
As I noted on Twitter last night, it appears that VPN.com is trying to convince the court to allow them to serve the complaint by email, see:

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/45083370/VPNcom_LLC_v_George_Dikian_et_al

in particular, the August 26, 2022 docket entry.

EX PARTE APPLICATION to Serve process by e-mail (non-urgent) filed by Plaintiff VPN.com LLC. (Cilento, Michael)

That's potentially very problematic, given the complaint puts into question the reliability of email as a mechanism for reaching the "true" people involved (e.g. paragraph 56 of the complaint). Folks should not lose such valuable assets via a "default judgment" without having the opportunity to be heard by a court, especially if they've not actually received the complaint.

This demonstrates one of the benefits of having fully public WHOIS information (instead of WHOIS privacy/proxy), if you want to be easily reached in the event of a legal dispute, and not face the risk of a default judgment.

•••
Pro-tip:

In the affidavit supporting your "Memornadum", try not to say that you don't know where your "well-known" friend is...

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 9.38.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 9.41.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 9.39.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 9.36.13 AM.png

A minute or two with Google Maps would have made this obvious...

•••
Attorney Mike Rodenbaugh has appeared on behalf of George Dikian.

This case is about to get interesting.

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 10.30.55 AM.png

•••
•••
Do you have early thoughts on who might win John?

Most lawsuits settle.

There are some facts which are yet to be determined.

Thus far, one side has filed their complaint. We have not heard what the other side has to say, but I doubt they will be arguing their case on domain blogs.

I have personally seen multiple situations in which a hacker compromised someone’s email address and used it to impersonate the account owner. This is done sometimes without changing anything, but by using automated alerts to monitor the account in order to conduct conversations and delete them from the account, so that the owner is not even aware.

In one case, a domain negotiation lasted for a couple of months, the domain was sold, transferred, and then the owner noticed the domain missing. I represented the purchaser and when the other side said they were hacked, I did not believe it. Eventually, the evidence showed I was wrong, and the account had really been hacked.

It is one thing to have an opinion, a hunch, or a guess. But it is important to be able to recognize when reality fails to live up to expectations. There is nothing as annoying to me as when the facts don’t cooperate with my argument.

My guess is that Dikian was being impersonated by someone with an interesting level of sophistication. My guess is that both sides of the transaction were being run by the same person(s) who were running a con with Gargiulo as the victim.

And, to be clear, Gargiulo is the victim here, regardless of one’s opinion of his “commission structure”. Mike was robbed by people using his energetic pursuit of deals against him. He ignored some red flags and was robbed.

That’s how cons work. Whoever did this seems to have targeted Mike and laid a trap that seems to have been designed for him. My hunch is that the thief knows him.

Compounding the problem is that Mike is understandably furious. People who have been conned often are too embarrassed to do anything. So, kudos to him for coming forward, but his public attacks against Dikian may be misplaced.

It is also worth observing that Gargiulo had no idea where Dikian was or where he could be found. Hence the court authorized service of process by email. If Dikian had committed the crimes of which he is accused, then Dikian would be unlikely to come forward and defend the case. This matter has been reported to at least one police department who also does not know where to find Dikian. But now, by his own choice, he is easy to find. Now, there are a number of things possible, but if I were advising Dikian and he was actually guilty of what Gargiulo has alleged, I would certainly tell him that his risk of arrest and prosecution would increase if he came forward to appear in this civil case.

Could that hunch be rip-roaringly wrong? Absolutely. And it will be interesting to see what develops and how the parties sort this out.

Incidentally, one thing that would be good to understand is that intelligent people are not always right, and people who think they are always right are usually not intelligent.

Both sides have great lawyers. I have had the privilege to work with (and against) Brett Lewis and Mike Rodenbaugh, and I consider both of them to be good friends and able colleagues. So, the most likely outcome in my opinion is that there will come a point at which there are no facts in dispute based on discovery materials obtained from third parties. At that point, Mr. Rodenbaugh and Mr. Lewis, both being exceptionally intelligent men, will advice their clients on the best way to conclude the matter.

Last edited:
•••
Most lawsuits settle.

There are some facts which are yet to be determined.

Thus far, one side has filed their complaint. We have not heard what the other side has to say, but I doubt they will be arguing their case on domain blogs.

I have personally seen multiple situations in which a hacker compromised someone’s email address and used it to impersonate the account owner. This is done sometimes without changing anything, but by using automated alerts to monitor the account in order to conduct conversations and delete them from the account, so that the owner is not even aware.

In one case, a domain negotiation lasted for a couple of months, the domain was sold, transferred, and then the owner noticed the domain missing. I represented the purchaser and when the other side said they were hacked, I did not believe it. Eventually, the evidence showed I was wrong, and the account had really been hacked.

It is one thing to have an opinion, a hunch, or a guess. But it is important to be able to recognize when reality fails to live up to expectations. There is nothing as annoying to me as when the facts don’t cooperate with my argument.

My guess is that Dikian was being impersonated by someone with an interesting level of sophistication. My guess is that both sides of the transaction were being run by the same person(s) who were running a con with Gargiulo as the victim.

And, to be clear, Gargiulo is the victim here, regardless of one’s opinion of his “commission structure”. Mike was robbed by people using his energetic pursuit of deals against him. He ignored some red flags and was robbed.

That’s how cons work. Whoever did this seems to have targeted Mike and laid a trap that seems to have been designed for him. My hunch is that the thief knows him.

Compounding the problem is that Mike is understandably furious. People who have been conned often are too embarrassed to do anything. So, kudos to him for coming forward, but his public attacks against Dikian may be misplaced.

It is also worth observing that Gargiulo had no idea where Dikian was or where he could be found. Hence the court authorized service of process by email. If Dikian had committed the crimes of which he is accused, then Dikian would be unlikely to come forward and defend the case. This matter has been reported to at least one police department who also does not know where to find Dikian. But now, by his own choice, he is easy to find. Now, there are a number of things possible, but if I were advising Dikian and he was actually guilty of what Gargiulo has alleged, I would certainly tell him that his risk of arrest and prosecution would increase if he came forward to appear in this civil case.

Could that hunch be rip-roaringly wrong? Absolutely. And it will be interesting to see what develops and how the parties sort this out.

Incidentally, one thing that would be good to understand is that intelligent people are not always right, and people who think they are always right are usually not intelligent.

Both sides have great lawyers. I have had the privilege to work with (and against) Brett Lewis and Mike Rodenbaugh, and I consider both of them to be good friends and able colleagues. So, the most likely outcome in my opinion is that there will come a point at which there are no facts in dispute based on discovery materials obtained from third parties. At that point, Mr. Rodenbaugh and Mr. Lewis, both being exceptionally intelligent men, will advice their clients on the best way to conclude the matter.
In cases like this, can the court decide that the person being hacked is partly to blame because they have been negligent with regards to security? Like when an insurance company won't pay out because the insured person had left a window slightly open when the burglary happened.

•••
In cases like this, can the court decide that the person being hacked is partly to blame because they have been negligent with regards to security? Like when an insurance company won't pay out because the insured person had left a window slightly open when the burglary happened.
My credit card was stolen and someone used it to buy 900 dollars worth of electronics from a merchant. The merchant lose that money. It turns out I wasn't careful where I used my card online, I entered it on a site that had no ssl. Should I be held responsible for the merchants loss?

What about companies that are hacked and the card is used and merchants lose money. We know companies that got hacked get sued, but are they held responsable for the losses caued to merchants?

•••
My credit card was stolen and someone used it to buy 900 dollars worth of electronics from a merchant. The merchant lose that money. It turns out I wasn't careful where I used my card online, I entered it on a site that had no ssl. Should I be held responsible for the merchants loss?

What about companies that are hacked and the card is used and merchants lose money. We know companies that got hacked get sued, but are they held responsable for the losses caued to merchants?
I don't think the victims should be held responsible. But it would be interesting to hear how it is viewed from a legal point of view.

•••

This is similar to what happened in the Booth purchase of CQD.com when the CQD.com domain owner had her Yahoo email compromised. Going further than automated alerts the hacker added 20+ filters to send certain emails directly to trash. Similar to this VPN scenario, the real CQD.com owner also used a Yahoo email address. Here's a detailed post regarding the 2018 CQD.com theft, and how the CQD.com's domain owners Yahoo email was manipulated.

Not being oblivious to how previous domain thefts ("CQD.com") have occurred, Michael Gargiulo's comment outright accusing George Dikian seemed obscenely wreckless. Hopefully, Michael has some proof beyond what was shared to support that accusation, otherwise it just looks like Michael is doubling down on his poor diligence (and is severely misguiding his efforts/resources all to the alleged hackers delight).

What surprises me the most in this case, is the due dilligence, or lack there of on the part of @VPN.com.

I agree with this comment from @GeorgeK

Beyond the obvious lack of due diligence (e.g. they don’t mention ever authenticating the parties by phone – everything appears to be via emails; use of a sketchy escrow; unclear if there were separate written legal contracts, etc.), there’s the hilarious “commission” that they negotiated for themselves (see paragraphs 23-25 on page 6 of the PDF).

Obviously,this comment has the hindsight advantage, but that "sketchy escrow" company should have been a huge red flag. This is a small industry, not oblivious to appraisal scams, so why a broker would trust an unknown escrow company like Intermediar is beyond me. Maybe the thought of a multi million dollar commission clouded judgement. But c'mon man!

Has it been determined how the intermediar.com domain was acquired? As typically the appraisal scam type websites have a new WHOIS, intermediar carried a 2003 WHOIS year. IDK if the was acquired at a registrar auction, or if the domain was purchased on a secondary market. According to a January 2021 Archive.org entry, Intermediar.com was listed on Undeveloped/Dan, with a $4,995 BIN with a lease to own option.

If Intermediar.com was purchased on @DAN.COM, then Dan may have helpful metadata or payment information. Intermediar trust pilot page was verified via google contact details in Januar 2022. My assumption is if @VPN.com seeks restitution/justice, then their efforts might be best spent tracking down the Intermediar operator, opposed to attacking somebody who looks to have been impersonated. Maybe that's what the lawsuit is attempting to uncover, but some of the accusations (unless they have additional proof) seem wreckless and misguided.

Last edited:
•••
It is interesting that VPN.com is very sure that emails those are used in the coresponding between the parties are not spoofed. I don't know how they can be so sure.

But how if it will be proofed that the emails are spoofed, and they realize that they had sued the wrong person? It will be a double loose for their reputation...

Last edited:
•••
But how if it will be proofed that the emails are spoofed, and they realize that they had sued the wrong person? It will be a double loose for their reputation...

Based on the information provided, it appears the emails weren't spoofed; it appears to be emails sent from the legit domain owners WHOIS listed yahoo email, but it hasn't been definitively proven if the email address was compromised or not. The CQD.com case referenced in my last post wasn't from spoofed emails, but rather from an alleged hacker allegedly compromising the yahoo email address belonging to the CQD.com domain owner. That cqd hacker left filters to send all emails mentioning "cqd.com" and other filters, attempting to ensure any cqd.com correspondence went directly to trash, so not to trigger the email/domain owner of the compromise.

Last edited:
•••
Very confused, so many questions
I can see VPN The victim at all.

•••

In some areas of law, for example personal injury law, there are principles of "contributory negligence", "comparative negligence", or "assumption of the risk", which apply. The first two concepts apply in situations where, for example, I was wearing the wrong sized shoes, and I tripped on your broken sidewalk and broke my arm. My injury was due in part to your broken sidewalk, but also because I was wearing the wrong sized shoes. In a contributory negligence jurisdiction, that may eliminate my chance of recovery against you. In a comparative negligence jurisdiction, my claim against you will be reduced by the proportion by which I am responsible.

"Assumption of the risk" applies to situations where I agree to a boxing match with you and you break my jaw. That is one of the risks I accepted when I agreed to the boxing match.

Insurance contracts are another story entirely. The insurer may require all sorts of things as a condition of my coverage.

None of these principles apply to the alleged theft here. The idea that the "victim is responsible" for an intentional crime committed against them just does not apply. If I walk out into the middle of a highway, I might get hit by a car, but you are still not allowed to decide to swerve into me in order to run me over. This also gets into the various forms of "asking for it" or victim blaming which is unfortunately applied in the court of public opinion in relation to certain crimes.

In fact, the moral justification of some financial criminals, such as 419 scammers, is that they are merely taking advantage of the greed of others in order to obtain a benefit for someone more morally deserving - i.e. themselves. Some Nigerian scammers, for example, justify themselves as avengers of Africa against imperialism, etc..

But, no, walking around with money hanging out of your pocket is not a license for someone else to take it from you.

This is a small industry, not oblivious to appraisal scams, so why a broker would trust an unknown escrow company like Intermediar is beyond me. Maybe the thought of a multi million dollar commission clouded judgement. But c'mon man!

There's another possible, but low-probability, scenario in this, and it relates to the Brent Oxley problem a while back in which a broker in India claimed to have had a brokerage contract with him, and he then filed a suit locking up all of Mr. Oxley's domain names. Many readers may recall this situation:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/br...ions-of-dollars-worth-of-his-domains.1230431/

Now, it is one thing to get ripped off to the tune of $250,000 and seek to be made whole for that. It is quite another thing to claim monetary damages in the amount of an entirely speculative proposition that one would have earned commissions on the proposed sale prices of domain names.

Mr. Gargiulo is keenly aware of that scenario, and discussed it on a podcast at the time:

https://www.kickstartcommerce.com/t...s-and-brokers-face-with-michael-gargiulo.html

I bet you didn’t know domain registrars have a legal right to lock your domain name or domain portfolio based on a frivolous lawsuit or baseless claim or did you?

Now that I have your attention, today’s podcast dives deep into the details and back story of how one of the most prolific domain investors of our time discovered his multi-million domain portfolio of ultra-premium domains on lockdown by a bad actor filing a lawsuit in India and reporting it to GoDaddy.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Tune in as Michael Gargiulo — CEO of VPN.com, long-time domain investor and entrepreneur, and previous podcast guest, and I speak about the case of GoDaddy locking Brent Oxley’s multi-million dollar portfolio of ultra-premium domains.

Life can sure take people on incredible journeys, but think about this for a minute: When Mr. Gargiulo was commenting on the danger of having a supposed broker lock up your domain portfolio on the basis of a claim of breach of an alleged brokerage contract, who would have imagined that not much more than a year later Mr. Gargiulo would be filing a lawsuit to lock up someone's domain portfolio on the basis of a claim of breach of an alleged brokerage contract?

Life is full of ironies, isn't it?

•••
New filing:

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cacd.855964/gov.uscourts.cacd.855964.30.0.pdf

VPN had been working on its default judgment motion when counsel for the Defendant George Dikian (“Defendant Dikian”) reached out to VPN’s counsel to discuss the case, the possibility of expedited discovery, as well as other case management issues. At Defendant Dikian’s request, VPN agreed to temporarily delay the filing of its default judgment motion while discussions took place. Due to disagreements over certain conditions sought by Defendant Dikian, relating to the exchange of expedited discovery and alleged privacy concerns related to Defendant Dikian making an appearance in the case, those discussions ended up taking longer than anticipated. The parties had been working on a timeline of next steps when Your Honor issued the OSC. Due to the OSC, VPN requested Defendant Dikian formally appear in the case, and VPN also agreed to set aside the entry of default against Defendant Dikian and allow until December 9, 2022, for Defendant Dikian to respond to the Complaint.

So it sounds as if they are working to manage the next procedural steps.

Last edited:
•••
Was it ever determined if/how @VPN.com had verified they were approached by the real Qiang Du?

Per the OnlineDomain.com article
It all started on March 8, 2022, when VPN was approached by Du, who, upon information and belief, owns the entity called ZTE Holdings (中興新) (“ZTE”). Du stated that ZTE was interested in purchasing the domain name <89.com> (“89.com”) and sought VPN’s help in identifying the owner and facilitating the transaction (the “Intermediar Transaction”).

I don't know much about Qiang Du or ZTE Holdings, but I noticed DomainNameWire.com had published a 2017 article where Qiang Du filed a lawsuit against John Doe for the alleged theft of BSH.com, which he claimed to have paid $100k for in 2016. (I don't know the outcode to that suit)

The VPN lawsuit lists Du's email address as <rhwdomains(@)gmail.com> but I can't seem to find any online record of that email address, besides that email being listed in VPNs lawsuit.

This is where it gets sketchy... alleged Du (the buyer) agrees to the acquisition price of $4.4mil. alleged Dikian (the seller) agrees to accept 2mil from alleged Du through intermediar, and VPN (the broker) agrees to accept $2.15mil in broker commission and VPN agreed to directly send alleged Dikian $250k in bitcoin after intermediar released VPNs broker commission.

After several rounds of negotiation with Du, Du agreed on an acquisition price of $4,400,000 to be paid by Du. VPN’s net proceeds for brokering the deal would be $2,150,000.
After further back and forth with Dikian on this issue, Dikian agreed to accept $2,000,000 in USD from Du through Intermediar and $250,000 in a direct Bitcoin payment from VPN, which VPN would send after its Broker commission payout was released by Intermediar.
On April 23, 2022, Intermediar confirmed that Du had partially funded the transaction by depositing $2,200,000 into Intermediar. This confirmation was false.

Come May, it appears at some point, VPN did send the alleged Dikian BTC, but given VPN was demanding intermediar release VPN's commission funds, it seems VPN may have sent the alleged Dikian BTC prior to receiving their broker commission.

On or around May 13, 2022, and continuing thereafter, VPN made several inquiries to Intermediar regarding the status of the Intermediar Transaction, informing them that Dikian had received and withdrew the Bitcoin sent to him, and demanding that Intermediar release VPN’s commission funds.

I'm not sure how much VPN was expected to receive from Intermediar, but this seems like an evolved hybrid of the appraisal scam, targetting brokers. As it seems there may have been 3 imposters (1) fake escrow intermediar (2) fake Diakan (3) fake Du...

Fake Diakan insists on fake Intermediar > Fake Du blindly agrees to pay 2.2m to fake intermediar > VPN seemingly believes this is all above on board, and maybe by lure of an additional sale, VPN sends $250k in BTC without yet receiving their VPN commission, thus taking a $250k bitcoin loss?

While this alleged scam seems to have involved a fake buyer + fake seller + fake escrow = (to) scam the broker, I couldn't even imagine what this shit show would look like if Du is/was a real buyer that lost $2mil+ to intermediar, and what type of scrambling a broker would be doing if they contributed to their client losing $2mil to a fake escrow website.

Last edited:
•••
While this alleged scam seems to have involved a fake buyer + fake seller + fake escrow = (to) scam the broker, I couldn't even imagine what this shit show would look like if Du is/was a real buyer that lost $2mil+ to intermediar, and what type of scrambling a broker would be doing if they contributed to their client losing $2mil to a fake escrow website.

You left out the punchline, Chris. The entire transaction was an imaginary structure to get the broker into a classic 419 advance fee scam, but the broker is also suing to recover his commission on the deal!

To make this a little simpler - imagine that you answer one of those emails where a Nigerian widow has $20 million dollars in a box being held in a security company in Spain. If you sign up as her US agent, then she will give you $5 million dollars. All you have to do to receive the box is to pay the $500 release fee to the security company from a US bank account.

You pay the $500, and nothing happens, so you realize you were scammed.

Then, you go and file a lawsuit against a Nigerian widow for $5,000,500, to recover your advance fee along with your share of the non-existent $20 million.

It reminds me of the end of the film Idiocracy where Fredo admits he knew the time machine wouldn't really work, but he wanted all that money...

•••
It reminds me of the end of the film Idiocracy where Fredo admits he knew the time machine wouldn't really work, but he wanted all that money...

You mean the Time Masheen O_o

Last edited:
•••
•••
I mentioned previously that we had only heard one side of the story.

An answer has been filed. The way that legal pleading works - just nailing down the basic factual outlines of what the plaintiff alleges, and what the defendant disputes, is fairly simple. It is not a process of argument, so much as simply identifying, in the complaint, where the defendant agrees, disagrees, or has insufficient information to respond (or where the complaint alleges a legal proposition instead of a factual one, in which case no response is required).

This answer, however, takes an interesting tack toward sketching out the arguments to come.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cacd.855964/gov.uscourts.cacd.855964.33.0.pdf

"On information and belief, based upon the
admissions in Plaintiff’s Complaint, it is Plaintiff that attempted to commit one
completely fraudulent domain name transaction. Apparently blinded yet guided
by nothing but greed, Plaintiff alleges that it was defrauded of some $250,000
worth of bitcoin (as of May 4, 2022 – worth about half that amount now), in the
process of perpetrating its own fraud, by which Plaintiff hoped to extract a
$2,150,000 so-called “commission” as an undisclosed dual agent for both parties
to the fictional transaction.

Dikian admits that Dikian is the professional alias identity of a well
known domain name investor and reseller.
Dikian lacks knowledge or
information sufficient to form a belief as to the truth or falsity of the remaining
allegations of this Paragraph, and therefore denies the remaining allegations of
this Paragraph. On information and belief, based upon reasonable investigation,
the purported “escrow service” Intermediar.com was an obvious fraud that could
never be trusted in any transaction.
For example, the purported escrow service
website contained a purported blog, with text that was simply copied and pasted
from other industry websites, such as Namecheap and Dan.com. More
significantly, in the website’s purported “Terms of Service”, no person or legal
entity was identified, the address was stated as a 14-story office building, and
there was no such registered company in the Netherlands as “Intermediar.com”
identified in the terms of service on the site (which also consisted of copied text
from a site called Paylax). These two facts make it immediately obvious that the
Intermediar.com website consisted mostly of text copied from other sites, and
failed to identify any existing person or legal entity of any kind which might be
held accountable. Yet, on information and belief based upon the allegations in
the Complaint, Plaintiff sought to conduct a transaction worth more than $6
million through this obviously fake “escrow service.”
On information and belief
based upon experience in the domain name industry, such “fake escrow scams”
have been perpetrated and revealed publicly many times in the industry over
many years. Any purportedly professional domain name broker, as Plaintiff
purports to be, would never utilize such a “new” and obviously fraudulent
“escrow service” for any significant transaction.

On information and belief, based on long
experience in the domain name industry, it is unconscionable for any domain
name broker to charge a nearly 100% commission (based on the sales price) in
any transaction. Typical domain name brokerage commissions for multi-million
dollar transactions are in the range of 5% to 15%. Dual agency transactions such
as that described by Plaintiff are highly discouraged, if not illegal. Dikian states
that he has never and would never agree to any transaction proposed by a dual
agent disclosing a nearly 100% commission on the sales price.

Dikian denies that he has ever owned any bitcoin, transacted in
bitcoin, or operated any bitcoin wallet.

Dikian admits that on May 11, 2022, Dikian notified Plaintiff by
email from the email address [email protected], that the purported 89.com
transaction was not initiated nor agreed by Dikian, and that Dikian did not
receive any bitcoin from Plaintiff.

Dikian alleges that each and every cause of action stated in Plaintiff’s
Complaint is not brought in good faith, but for an improper purpose, and is
brought without reasonable cause, and is frivolous in nature, thereby subjecting
Plaintiff and/or Plaintiff’s counsel to the imposition of sanctions pursuant to
Rule 11 of the Federal Rules and/or the Court’s inherent powers."

---------

So, it would appear that we have a very sharply-defined contrast between the allegations of the Plaintiff and the contentions thus far of the Defendant.

The answer and the complaint merely mark the beginning of a lawsuit. The Plaintiff has made its claim and the Defendant has admitted or denied the various factual bases of the complaint.

No doubt the contentions of the parties are going to be resolved on facts yet to be known.

But how if it will be proofed that the emails are spoofed, and they realize that they had sued the wrong person?

Quite often, when someone is highly invested in a particular interpretation of their perception of the facts, it can be extremely difficult for that person to move from their interpretation even when strong evidence points to an error in either their perception of the facts or their interpretation of them. If you read comprehensive analysis reports of things like airplane disasters or industrial accidents (the Three Mile Island nuclear plant is a great study), you will often find someone who has made up their mind about the situation and continues to act on that conclusion even when they should have noticed their initial conclusion was incorrect.

The more interesting question is what sort of evidence is going to be available. I can think of quite a few things that should be subpoenaed from third parties. Obviously, the email providers, domain registrars, hosting service for intermediar, and so on, if the relevant logs still exist, will provide important information about access times and IP addresses. Of course, the users of the accounts may have used VPN's which, in itself, would be interesting in this particular context. But having seen hacked accounts from a service provider perspective, it is typical that the authorized user can be distinguished from the unauthorized one, merely by the patterns and methods of access (IP address, times of day, frequency, type of activity, metadata such as browser/device/software information, and so on).

Another interesting approach, if there is not a lot of technical data, is to look at Dikian himself. Obviously, VPN has email records with times and dates on them. Just as obviously, Dikian will possibly have records which make it unlikely for him to have been sending emails at those dates and times, unless you want to buy the proposition that Dikian was pretending to impersonate himself, or some crackers hypothesis like that. Additionally, here we also have written material from the alleged impersonator. There are methods by which, if provided with a collection of emails written by the actual George Dikian, the denied correspondence can be statistically and linguistically analyzed to determine the likelihood of authorship by Dikian. Even without Dikian, the emails can be analyzed for things like probable native language of the author (if not English), among other textual indicators of identity.

Finally, it is worth noting that "George Dikian" is apparently a business or professional name of the person in question. We live in a world where if you ask someone who is Issur Danielovitch Demsky or Marion Robert Morrison, you get a lot of shrugs.

Maybe someone else can tell us about Issur Danielovitch Demsky, Marion Robert Morrison, or a big favorite who might be more recognizable to a younger crowd, such as William Jefferson Blythe III.

But the versions of reality are quite distinct. Either Mr. Gargiulo is mistaken or Mr. Dikian is a thief.

Which reality do you believe to be more likely, and why?

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
"Back online" or a copied template. But interesting.

•••
Incidentally, on the Namepros thread about someone presenting as Dikian, I guess those people should be told to preserve all the evidence they have.

•••
Reported the new website to NameCheap. Sent link to this thread and domainname wire article and they replied saying they need more proof. 🤦

I replied with screenshot of the original website from archive.org yesterday. Let’s wait and see if they will do anything.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back