IT.COM

information VPN.com LLC has filed a multimillion lawsuit

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
VPN.com LLC has filed a multimillion lawsuit against long time domain investor George Dikian (California), Qiang Du (Hong Kong) and John Doe at the US District Court (California).

The lawsuit involves a $250,000 payment in Bitcoin and $6.625 million in owed commissions on multiple transactions involving 96 premium 2N.com and 3N.com domains.

read more

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
VPN LLC has filed its response to Dikian's motion to proceed pseudonymously.

There's a lot to unpack, but if you want the TLDR on the overall motion - I would put my two quatloos on VPN winning this motion for a number of reasons. Surprisingly, I don't think VPN touched on one of the best reasons, and I'm not going to go into it, because I think Brett had fair notice of what that reason is. But, I think Brett's going to score another motion anyway.

VPN's reply brief is here, if you want to read it for yourself and make your own conclusions (which you should):

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cacd.855964/gov.uscourts.cacd.855964.55.0.pdf

So, I don't think the subject of whether Dikian should proceed pseudonymously is all that interesting.

What does strike me as interesting is the back-and-forth over the expert reports, and the emerging new theory of liability.

First, the expert reports. I posted some extracts above which state that based on the IP access logs provided by Yahoo! among other things, it appears that there was someone using a Wifi hotspot in Portugal to access the account while Mr. Dikian can show he was in Florida.

Some background... As a lawyer, or even as a party, you can't just say, "We got these IP access logs from Yahoo and they show that someone used a VPN and a WiFi hotspot in Portugal." You need to have someone with relevant qualifications look at it and say, "Yes, I know internet stuff and, duh, I can look up an IP address and show it is a WiFi hotspot provider in Portugal." Now, are there ways to merely "appear" as if you are using a hotspot in Portugal? Yeah, but really why bother. The provider in question is the biggest ISP in Portugal, so there's no reason to fake that, since it's not going to be practically traceable anyway.

In fact, if you say "Portugal" and "domains, I did the obvious thing. I looked up header information on an email I received from Domain Sherpa and Media Options principal Andrew Rosener and, sure enough, he's a home subscriber of the same ISP. So, perhaps he was out at the cafΓ©, taking in a soulful Fado performance, and scheming to get even for his #8 broker ranking at VPN.com:

Screenshot 2023-07-29 at 3.05.45 PM.png

I added the gold star so that, if Drew is slumming in this thread, the 8th place won't get him down. As Drew says:

Screenshot 2023-07-29 at 3.07.45 PM.png

But of course, I'm just kidding. Drew and Mike are good friends and Mike has appeared on Domain Sherpa many times.

Michael-Gargiulo-Drew-Rosener-NamesCon-Europe.jpg

Getting back to the point, to introduce and interpret a piece of technical evidence, you need an expert to vouch for it. Most experts aren't dumb, and they understand that their opinion is worth something, so it is of course not a volunteer effort.

The court is not dumb either, so it doesn't really make anyone look good to throw in gratuitous lines like:

Screenshot 2023-07-29 at 5.51.40 PM.png

The implication of calling them "hired" experts with "paid-for" reports is, of course, to suggest that the experts just say whatever the folks paying for them want them to say. First, I've known Rod Rasmussen for quite a long time, as have many in the ICANN community. His opinion, as opposed to his time and attention, is not for sale. Second, at some point VPN is going to want to introduce an expert opinion of their own, so I look forward to whatever volunteers they might find to work for free.

But we can all see the access logs produced by Yahoo! and it's no great mystery that they show access through a VPN and through IP addresses associated with a WiFi hotspot provider in Portugal, and coinciding with some of the correspondence we've seen in the case thus far.

I mean, if we want to rely on the opinion of "volunteer experts", there are certainly no shortage of persons who have expected that the access logs produced by Yahoo! show pretty much what this case looked like to a lot of experts from the get-go.

But, let's look at some volunteer expert opinions, such as the points made above in this thread by Chris Hydrick about email-only contacts and what we might expect to see in the Yahoo email access log:

This is similar to what happened in the Booth purchase of CQD.com when the CQD.com domain owner had her Yahoo email compromised. Going further than automated alerts the hacker added 20+ filters to send certain emails directly to trash. Similar to this VPN scenario, the real CQD.com owner also used a Yahoo email address. Here's a detailed post regarding the 2018 CQD.com theft, and how the CQD.com's domain owners Yahoo email was manipulated.

In fact, I believe Mr. Hydrick has put together a plausible identification of Mr. "Dikian" based solely on public records.

Or by George Kirikos, concerning apparent warning signs:

I don't know what VPN[.]com is thinking, but this complaint doesn't put themselves in a good light.
Beyond the obvious lack of due diligence (e.g. they don’t mention ever authenticating the parties by phone – everything appears to be via emails),

...and there has been a wealth of other opinions posted - for free - by various experts on other domain blogs and news sites - all of whom believed it to be most likely - just based on the stated facts - that an email address compromise seemed the most likely scenario.

So, I wouldn't go to hard on the "hired experts" and their "paid for" reports, since anyone else can look at those access logs in the motions and find out, to no one's great surprise, that it suggests a pattern of unauthorized access, impersonation, and covering their tracks to avoid alerting Dikian - which is what quite a few unhired experts in unpaid-for blog postings miraculously expected to see.

The "hired experts" and "paid for" rhetoric is an unnecessary swipe at Mr. Rasmussen and Mr. Seiden. I get the point about whether the expert reports have been fully vetted for some of the subject matter discussed therein, but the purpose for which they are being used here is more geared to simply point out that Dikian reasonably believes he has been the victim of having his email hacked.

But the substantive issues can be hashed out at a later time. The judge is not being asked to decide the case on these filings.

Speaking of the "substantive issues", we can see the inklings of a new theory of liability clearing its throat. As noted above, there is the issue of whether being careless with your email account settings is a reasonably foreseeable cause of someone else ending up being swindled:

Screenshot 2023-07-29 at 6.20.30 PM.png

So, yes, it is clear that even if Dikian's email were compromised by a third party and used for the scam, VPN LLC intends to proceed on a negligence theory.

The second point I highlighted is one for which I haven't worked out the timeline. Dikian at some point became aware of funny business going on with his account and locked it down with 2FA. But VPN LLC seems to be suggesting that Dikian must have been specifically aware of the scam in progress involving VPN LLC and had a duty to warn VPN LLC. Although, I seem to recall that under Dikian's version of events, he warned VPN LLC when, through an inadvertent cc: to the Yahoo email address, he became specifically aware of what was going on.

I know it is hazardous to go from memory, so maybe some kind soul will put together the agreed timeline events and any disputed timeline events leading up to this email:

Screenshot 2023-07-29 at 6.29.13 PM.png

In case there is a document which I haven't linked, or you want to catch up, the docket collected by RECAP is here:

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/63559525/vpncom-llc-v-george-dikian/

•••
This is not a good look for anyone involved.

I especially don't like this part -

After several rounds of negotiation with Dikian, Dikian agreed on an acquisition price of $2,250,000 net to Dikian. After several rounds of negotiation with Du, Du agreed on an acquisition price of $4,400,000 to be paid by Du. VPN’s net proceeds for brokering the deal would be $2,150,000.

It seems like a broker trying to play both sides of the transaction - not representing the buyer or seller, just representing themselves. A bad look. IMO.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Do you have early thoughts on who might win John?

Most lawsuits settle.

There are some facts which are yet to be determined.

Thus far, one side has filed their complaint. We have not heard what the other side has to say, but I doubt they will be arguing their case on domain blogs.

I have personally seen multiple situations in which a hacker compromised someone’s email address and used it to impersonate the account owner. This is done sometimes without changing anything, but by using automated alerts to monitor the account in order to conduct conversations and delete them from the account, so that the owner is not even aware.

In one case, a domain negotiation lasted for a couple of months, the domain was sold, transferred, and then the owner noticed the domain missing. I represented the purchaser and when the other side said they were hacked, I did not believe it. Eventually, the evidence showed I was wrong, and the account had really been hacked.

It is one thing to have an opinion, a hunch, or a guess. But it is important to be able to recognize when reality fails to live up to expectations. There is nothing as annoying to me as when the facts don’t cooperate with my argument.

My guess is that Dikian was being impersonated by someone with an interesting level of sophistication. My guess is that both sides of the transaction were being run by the same person(s) who were running a con with Gargiulo as the victim.

And, to be clear, Gargiulo is the victim here, regardless of one’s opinion of his β€œcommission structure”. Mike was robbed by people using his energetic pursuit of deals against him. He ignored some red flags and was robbed.

That’s how cons work. Whoever did this seems to have targeted Mike and laid a trap that seems to have been designed for him. My hunch is that the thief knows him.

Compounding the problem is that Mike is understandably furious. People who have been conned often are too embarrassed to do anything. So, kudos to him for coming forward, but his public attacks against Dikian may be misplaced.

It is also worth observing that Gargiulo had no idea where Dikian was or where he could be found. Hence the court authorized service of process by email. If Dikian had committed the crimes of which he is accused, then Dikian would be unlikely to come forward and defend the case. This matter has been reported to at least one police department who also does not know where to find Dikian. But now, by his own choice, he is easy to find. Now, there are a number of things possible, but if I were advising Dikian and he was actually guilty of what Gargiulo has alleged, I would certainly tell him that his risk of arrest and prosecution would increase if he came forward to appear in this civil case.

Could that hunch be rip-roaringly wrong? Absolutely. And it will be interesting to see what develops and how the parties sort this out.

Incidentally, one thing that would be good to understand is that intelligent people are not always right, and people who think they are always right are usually not intelligent.

Both sides have great lawyers. I have had the privilege to work with (and against) Brett Lewis and Mike Rodenbaugh, and I consider both of them to be good friends and able colleagues. So, the most likely outcome in my opinion is that there will come a point at which there are no facts in dispute based on discovery materials obtained from third parties. At that point, Mr. Rodenbaugh and Mr. Lewis, both being exceptionally intelligent men, will advice their clients on the best way to conclude the matter.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
This namepros users is probably part of the fraud @garyford his skill at manipulation based on his posts are frightening, has to have years worth of scamming experience

•••
•••
•••
I don't know where I read that RHWDomains(@)gmail.com is Qiang Du's email address; maybe I'm mistaken? The only google result for that email address is from PacerMonitor citing this case.

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/63559525/22/vpncom-llc-v-george-dikian/
1671006742365.png

1671013788046.png

If Qiang Du is a common name, how would a default judgement against Du go? Would it be a default judgement against the email address [email protected]?

Basically wondering how a default judgement would know the difference between a Qiang Du who is 18 years old, VS a Qiang Du who is 80 years old Vs John Doe who is X years old?

I still can't find any historical hits for [email protected]. Wondering if it's a long time use email, or if it was just a throwaway gmail address?

It looks like [email protected] may have submitted a google acct deletion request.

1671007388738.png

That doesn't mean [email protected] was never registered:

1671007437460.png

Dikian denies ever having registered or used the β€œ[email protected]” email address

Similarly it looks like the [email protected] email address may also have been deleted.

1671007623139.png

1671007652435.png

A working gmail account would return a result such as:

1671007700550.png

A not working, never been registered gmail address would look like:

1671007871632.png

+

1671007904613.png

Last edited:
•••
In cases like this, can the court decide that the person being hacked is partly to blame because they have been negligent with regards to security? Like when an insurance company won't pay out because the insured person had left a window slightly open when the burglary happened.

In some areas of law, for example personal injury law, there are principles of "contributory negligence", "comparative negligence", or "assumption of the risk", which apply. The first two concepts apply in situations where, for example, I was wearing the wrong sized shoes, and I tripped on your broken sidewalk and broke my arm. My injury was due in part to your broken sidewalk, but also because I was wearing the wrong sized shoes. In a contributory negligence jurisdiction, that may eliminate my chance of recovery against you. In a comparative negligence jurisdiction, my claim against you will be reduced by the proportion by which I am responsible.

"Assumption of the risk" applies to situations where I agree to a boxing match with you and you break my jaw. That is one of the risks I accepted when I agreed to the boxing match.

Insurance contracts are another story entirely. The insurer may require all sorts of things as a condition of my coverage.

None of these principles apply to the alleged theft here. The idea that the "victim is responsible" for an intentional crime committed against them just does not apply. If I walk out into the middle of a highway, I might get hit by a car, but you are still not allowed to decide to swerve into me in order to run me over. This also gets into the various forms of "asking for it" or victim blaming which is unfortunately applied in the court of public opinion in relation to certain crimes.

In fact, the moral justification of some financial criminals, such as 419 scammers, is that they are merely taking advantage of the greed of others in order to obtain a benefit for someone more morally deserving - i.e. themselves. Some Nigerian scammers, for example, justify themselves as avengers of Africa against imperialism, etc..

But, no, walking around with money hanging out of your pocket is not a license for someone else to take it from you.

This is a small industry, not oblivious to appraisal scams, so why a broker would trust an unknown escrow company like Intermediar is beyond me. Maybe the thought of a multi million dollar commission clouded judgement. But c'mon man!

There's another possible, but low-probability, scenario in this, and it relates to the Brent Oxley problem a while back in which a broker in India claimed to have had a brokerage contract with him, and he then filed a suit locking up all of Mr. Oxley's domain names. Many readers may recall this situation:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/br...ions-of-dollars-worth-of-his-domains.1230431/

Now, it is one thing to get ripped off to the tune of $250,000 and seek to be made whole for that. It is quite another thing to claim monetary damages in the amount of an entirely speculative proposition that one would have earned commissions on the proposed sale prices of domain names.

Mr. Gargiulo is keenly aware of that scenario, and discussed it on a podcast at the time:

https://www.kickstartcommerce.com/t...s-and-brokers-face-with-michael-gargiulo.html

I bet you didn’t know domain registrars have a legal right to lock your domain name or domain portfolio based on a frivolous lawsuit or baseless claim or did you?

Now that I have your attention, today’s podcast dives deep into the details and back story of how one of the most prolific domain investors of our time discovered his multi-million domain portfolio of ultra-premium domains on lockdown by a bad actor filing a lawsuit in India and reporting it to GoDaddy.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Tune in as Michael Gargiulo β€” CEO of VPN.com, long-time domain investor and entrepreneur, and previous podcast guest, and I speak about the case of GoDaddy locking Brent Oxley’s multi-million dollar portfolio of ultra-premium domains.

Life can sure take people on incredible journeys, but think about this for a minute: When Mr. Gargiulo was commenting on the danger of having a supposed broker lock up your domain portfolio on the basis of a claim of breach of an alleged brokerage contract, who would have imagined that not much more than a year later Mr. Gargiulo would be filing a lawsuit to lock up someone's domain portfolio on the basis of a claim of breach of an alleged brokerage contract?

Life is full of ironies, isn't it?

•••
Some new filings.....

Dikian has filed his motion to proceed under a pseudonym:

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cacd.855964/gov.uscourts.cacd.855964.53.0.pdf

It is accompanied by several exhibits including his own declaration:

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cacd.855964/gov.uscourts.cacd.855964.53.1.pdf

I wouldn't bet the farm on that motion succeeding.

What may be of some interest are the two expert reports offered by Dikian in support of the contention that he was hacked. One, by Rod Rasmussen of the ICANN Security and Stability Committee:

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cacd.855964/gov.uscourts.cacd.855964.53.7_2.pdf

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 9.32.55 AM.png

And another by Mark Seiden, a former ICANN SSAC member and security advisor to the Internet Archive...

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cacd.855964/gov.uscourts.cacd.855964.53.8.pdf

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 9.17.40 AM.png

Last edited:
•••
@NamePros has entered the chat:

In the latest round of filings, a curious thread on Namepros has been introduced into evidence. In particular, this thread about "intermediar.com" - the fake "escrow service" that was used in the scheme to swindle VPN LLC:

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cacd.855964/gov.uscourts.cacd.855964.78.3.pdf

Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 8.06.04 AM.png

That thread, for reference, is here:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/do...-intermediar-for-escrow-transactions.1266786/

One interesting feature of that thread is a Namepros user who shows up to claim that intermediar.com is a legit escrow site. As many have pointed out, a few moments inspection of that site at the time would have been sufficient to determine it was a scam site.

IMHO, it would be worthwhile to find out what, if any, contact or log information Namepros might have on that user who showed up to defend intermediar.com as a legit site (along with other third-party discovery relevant to the history of that domain name).

I'm not sure anyone at Namepros is terribly interested in following this lawsuit any further, since the gritty reality of litigation is not "as seen on TV". Developments are slow, and often tedious. So, do let me know whether I should continue to post updates on it.

The exhibit linked above is part of a filing to re-arrange the schedule for the proceedings going forward. The Amended Complaint has been filed:

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cacd.855964/gov.uscourts.cacd.855964.77.0.pdf

VPN has dropped the demand for the phantom commissions and is principally now looking to get $250k back along with punitive damages:

Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 8.18.44 AM.png

I have no idea what is the point of a permanent injunction "freezing" a domain name, and I doubt a registrar is going to understand an order to "freeze" a domain name either. Sounds chilly. "Locking" has a meaning, but that can be done at room temperature.

The reason for requesting the modified schedule is that VPN's attention has expanded to include the defendant's son, as detailed to some extent (with redactions) in this brief, noting that "Dikian" had mentioned that his son had access to his email address:

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cacd.855964/gov.uscourts.cacd.855964.78.1.pdf

Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 8.37.43 AM.png

VPN offers "two" explanations for the alleged continued unauthorized access to the relevant email account. There are, of course, more than two possible explanations for that, but the only explanations of interest to VPN are ones which lead to a recovery against Dikian. Notably, the Amended Complaint doesn't make any claims involving Dikian's son.

Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 8.39.16 AM.png

I don't know about this judge, but arguing things which aren't proven can be annoying to a judge. Notice the leap from Dikian admitting that his son accessed his email account in the evidence, to his son being "the only other person to have accessed" the account in the argument. Does the evidence show that Dikian's son was the only other person to have accessed the account? Well, no, it doesn't. Clearly, Dikian's testimony states that his son accessed the account. That is sufficient to suggest that Dikian's son may have been involved. But overselling your evidence to make an exaggeration that he is the ONLY other person who could have accessed the account detracts from the point. Obviously, any email account that is shared among two people is less secure than one used by one person.

What is difficult to assess, when the words of a deposition are rendered in print, is the demeanor of the witness. Additionally, depositions go on for seven hours and the selected pieces used in argument may seem different out of context. I'm curious to know, for example, what is the technical proficiency of the Dikians. Even from the excerpts, the elder Dikian seems a bit scatterbrained and not tremendously attentive to events concerning his email address from several years ago. Of course, people in depositions can put on various acts, but it is also true that sitting at a table with a camera pointed at you while someone fires off questions concerning a parade of documents can be disorienting and intimidating to some people, who knows. But someone put together the intermediar.com website and constructed a fake Dutch identity around it. Hence, one wonders whether either of the Dikians had the chops to do that, or would have had to enlist the services of yet another party in the scheme.

In any event, short of Mike or Brett using RECAP to copy the PACER filings into the Courtlistener archive, it costs me ten cents a page to download this stuff to have it captured and copied to Courtlistener. That may not be worthwhile for the two or three people still following this thing, but if someone else with PACER and RECAP is interested, there's a couple of more documents which may shed further light on the technical claims made by VPN, albeit without an expert.

Last edited:
•••
The full complaint can be read at:

https://onlinedomain.com/2022/07/28...s-26-million-lawsuit-against-domain-investor/

I don't know what VPN[.]com is thinking, but this complaint doesn't put themselves in a good light.
Beyond the obvious lack of due diligence (e.g. they don’t mention ever authenticating the parties by phone – everything appears to be via emails), there’s the hilarious β€œcommission” that they negotiated for themselves (see paragraphs 23-25 on page 6 of the PDF):

https://onlinedomain.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/1-2022-06-29-VPN-Complaint.pdf

VPN[.]com’s own own website, on the Intellectual Property β†’ Domain Names page, claims:

" We Never Charge More Than 15%"

:ROFL:

Another reason to deal with "Principals Only."

Last edited:
•••
It is kind of a strange business… Are you concerned about your privacy? Then why not trust some total strangers with all your internet traffic?

I can see some use cases. It’s irritating when I travel abroad that I can’t watch streaming services which I pay for, because of regional licensing issues.

But the pitch of β€œpeople can snoop on your internet traffic, so route it all through us” sounds like that friend who wants to hold your money to keep it safe from thieves.

•••
John Doe used a VPN and they can't locate him?

•••
From the absurd commission they negotiated for themselves by playing both the buyer and seller broker, to what seems like getting scammed from a lack of due diligence, to the lawsuit itself...

It looks really bad for VPN.com and their credibility. IMO.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
As I noted on Twitter last night, it appears that VPN.com is trying to convince the court to allow them to serve the complaint by email, see:

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/45083370/VPNcom_LLC_v_George_Dikian_et_al

in particular, the August 26, 2022 docket entry.

EX PARTE APPLICATION to Serve process by e-mail (non-urgent) filed by Plaintiff VPN.com LLC. (Cilento, Michael)

That's potentially very problematic, given the complaint puts into question the reliability of email as a mechanism for reaching the "true" people involved (e.g. paragraph 56 of the complaint). Folks should not lose such valuable assets via a "default judgment" without having the opportunity to be heard by a court, especially if they've not actually received the complaint.

This demonstrates one of the benefits of having fully public WHOIS information (instead of WHOIS privacy/proxy), if you want to be easily reached in the event of a legal dispute, and not face the risk of a default judgment.

•••
Attorney Mike Rodenbaugh has appeared on behalf of George Dikian.

This case is about to get interesting.

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 10.30.55 AM.png

•••
In cases like this, can the court decide that the person being hacked is partly to blame because they have been negligent with regards to security? Like when an insurance company won't pay out because the insured person had left a window slightly open when the burglary happened.
My credit card was stolen and someone used it to buy 900 dollars worth of electronics from a merchant. The merchant lose that money. It turns out I wasn't careful where I used my card online, I entered it on a site that had no ssl. Should I be held responsible for the merchants loss?

What about companies that are hacked and the card is used and merchants lose money. We know companies that got hacked get sued, but are they held responsable for the losses caued to merchants?

•••
I hope that all the relevant data is captured before it is shut down.

•••
@NamePros has entered the chat:

In the latest round of filings, a curious thread on Namepros has been introduced into evidence. In particular, this thread about "intermediar.com" - the fake "escrow service" that was used in the scheme to swindle VPN LLC:

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cacd.855964/gov.uscourts.cacd.855964.78.3.pdf

Show attachment 246948

That thread, for reference, is here:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/do...-intermediar-for-escrow-transactions.1266786/

One interesting feature of that thread is a Namepros user who shows up to claim that intermediar.com is a legit escrow site. As many have pointed out, a few moments inspection of that site at the time would have been sufficient to determine it was a scam site.

IMHO, it would be worthwhile to find out what, if any, contact or log information Namepros might have on that user who showed up to defend intermediar.com as a legit site (along with other third-party discovery relevant to the history of that domain name).

I'm not sure anyone at Namepros is terribly interested in following this lawsuit any further, since the gritty reality of litigation is not "as seen on TV". Developments are slow, and often tedious. So, do let me know whether I should continue to post updates on it.

The exhibit linked above is part of a filing to re-arrange the schedule for the proceedings going forward. The Amended Complaint has been filed:

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cacd.855964/gov.uscourts.cacd.855964.77.0.pdf

VPN has dropped the demand for the phantom commissions and is principally now looking to get $250k back along with punitive damages:

Show attachment 246949

I have no idea what is the point of a permanent injunction "freezing" a domain name, and I doubt a registrar is going to understand an order to "freeze" a domain name either. Sounds chilly. "Locking" has a meaning, but that can be done at room temperature.

The reason for requesting the modified schedule is that VPN's attention has expanded to include the defendant's son, as detailed to some extent (with redactions) in this brief, noting that "Dikian" had mentioned that his son had access to his email address:

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cacd.855964/gov.uscourts.cacd.855964.78.1.pdf

Show attachment 246950

VPN offers "two" explanations for the alleged continued unauthorized access to the relevant email account. There are, of course, more than two possible explanations for that, but the only explanations of interest to VPN are ones which lead to a recovery against Dikian. Notably, the Amended Complaint doesn't make any claims involving Dikian's son.

Show attachment 246951

I don't know about this judge, but arguing things which aren't proven can be annoying to a judge. Notice the leap from Dikian admitting that his son accessed his email account in the evidence, to his son being "the only other person to have accessed" the account in the argument. Does the evidence show that Dikian's son was the only other person to have accessed the account? Well, no, it doesn't. Clearly, Dikian's testimony states that his son accessed the account. That is sufficient to suggest that Dikian's son may have been involved. But overselling your evidence to make an exaggeration that he is the ONLY other person who could have accessed the account detracts from the point. Obviously, any email account that is shared among two people is less secure than one used by one person.

What is difficult to assess, when the words of a deposition are rendered in print, is the demeanor of the witness. Additionally, depositions go on for seven hours and the selected pieces used in argument may seem different out of context. I'm curious to know, for example, what is the technical proficiency of the Dikians. Even from the excerpts, the elder Dikian seems a bit scatterbrained and not tremendously attentive to events concerning his email address from several years ago. Of course, people in depositions can put on various acts, but it is also true that sitting at a table with a camera pointed at you while someone fires off questions concerning a parade of documents can be disorienting and intimidating to some people, who knows. But someone put together the intermediar.com website and constructed a fake Dutch identity around it. Hence, one wonders whether either of the Dikians had the chops to do that, or would have had to enlist the services of yet another party in the scheme.

In any event, short of Mike or Brett using RECAP to copy the PACER filings into the Courtlistener archive, it costs me ten cents a page to download this stuff to have it captured and copied to Courtlistener. That may not be worthwhile for the two or three people still following this thing, but if someone else with PACER and RECAP is interested, there's a couple of more documents which may shed further light on the technical claims made by VPN, albeit without an expert.
I, for one, really appreciate your updates and still find this case fascinating, even if it moves slowly.

•••
So many questions after reading this news post.

•••
•••
i always had a hard time closing deals with John Doe,
this guy is everywhere and nowhere

greed is good

•••
I have personally seen multiple situations in which a hacker compromised someone’s email address and used it to impersonate the account owner. This is done sometimes without changing anything, but by using automated alerts to monitor the account in order to conduct conversations and delete them from the account, so that the owner is not even aware.

This is similar to what happened in the Booth purchase of CQD.com when the CQD.com domain owner had her Yahoo email compromised. Going further than automated alerts the hacker added 20+ filters to send certain emails directly to trash. Similar to this VPN scenario, the real CQD.com owner also used a Yahoo email address. Here's a detailed post regarding the 2018 CQD.com theft, and how the CQD.com's domain owners Yahoo email was manipulated.

Not being oblivious to how previous domain thefts ("CQD.com") have occurred, Michael Gargiulo's comment outright accusing George Dikian seemed obscenely wreckless. Hopefully, Michael has some proof beyond what was shared to support that accusation, otherwise it just looks like Michael is doubling down on his poor diligence (and is severely misguiding his efforts/resources all to the alleged hackers delight).

What surprises me the most in this case, is the due dilligence, or lack there of on the part of @VPN.com.

I agree with this comment from @GeorgeK

Beyond the obvious lack of due diligence (e.g. they don’t mention ever authenticating the parties by phone – everything appears to be via emails; use of a sketchy escrow; unclear if there were separate written legal contracts, etc.), there’s the hilarious β€œcommission” that they negotiated for themselves (see paragraphs 23-25 on page 6 of the PDF).

Obviously,this comment has the hindsight advantage, but that "sketchy escrow" company should have been a huge red flag. This is a small industry, not oblivious to appraisal scams, so why a broker would trust an unknown escrow company like Intermediar is beyond me. Maybe the thought of a multi million dollar commission clouded judgement. But c'mon man!

Has it been determined how the intermediar.com domain was acquired? As typically the appraisal scam type websites have a new WHOIS, intermediar carried a 2003 WHOIS year. IDK if the was acquired at a registrar auction, or if the domain was purchased on a secondary market. According to a January 2021 Archive.org entry, Intermediar.com was listed on Undeveloped/Dan, with a $4,995 BIN with a lease to own option.

If Intermediar.com was purchased on @DAN.COM, then Dan may have helpful metadata or payment information. Intermediar trust pilot page was verified via google contact details in Januar 2022. My assumption is if @VPN.com seeks restitution/justice, then their efforts might be best spent tracking down the Intermediar operator, opposed to attacking somebody who looks to have been impersonated. Maybe that's what the lawsuit is attempting to uncover, but some of the accusations (unless they have additional proof) seem wreckless and misguided.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back