IT.COM

[VOTE] What year did you become a domain name owner?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What year did you become a domain name owner?

GreenGambler

I Collect SilverVIP Member
Impact
Hello,

I'm wondering how long the average domainers, here on NamePros, have been domain name owners or in the domain name business.

What year did you first become a domain name owner?

Let us know when you got your first domain name, whether you bought it, reg'd it or it was given to you.

I asked this question last year and got a good response. I think it's a good time to run the poll again. There are new domainers both to the market and domainers who are new to NamePros.

Feel free to share comments and let us know what your first name was, or how many you owned that first year.​

Lets see what the most popular year for NPers to become domain name owners was.

GG

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
2004 here ;) Honestly at this point, I no longer remember what the domain was. The only thing I recall is that it was a .info, and I regged it.

•••

I regged my own name in 2001. I was so noob that I had to do a search to find a domain registrar, which turned out to be Yahoo. As a writer, I wanted to make sure I protected my name from a squatter who might buy my name and try to sell it to me.

I built my first site in 2004, an awful looking thing using sitebuilder.

•••
1998...i was like 13 and used 000domains.com

•••
1998-1999 was my first domain

•••
•••
I reg'd my first domain in 2004

•••
2000-2001

I tried to reg my last name in .dk extension and found out that some other family member had regged it before me. :)

Then I tried other extensions; .com, .net and .org but they were all taken. :(

My last name is four letters. :)

So it ended with the letter of my first name plus my last name.

•••
2007. I made it into a forum for a group of internet friends and I. Then we had some sort of falling out lol.

•••
2007. But I'm yet to really understand what domaining is :)

•••
Jan 2006 was the first reg for me - health related -
still have it. :)

•••
I believe it was 200-2001 "era".

There was a big radio advert about the amazing .cc domains. Fell for it, hook, line and sinker. Squatted on a couple related to the company I was working for and set up a simple contest site I used for referrals from my customers. I figured when .cc took off, this company would be clamoring to purchase this baby from me. For some reason, this didn't happen.

I dropped them when I moved to another company.

Regged my first 3 .coms in 2004. Sold one of them on eBay a few months later for $350.00 and got hooked. Proceeded to enroll myself into the school of hard knocks, thinking I'd just found a gold mine. :guilty:. Found out later that there's more science to it than grabbing names that "sound good"

•••
A .com, closely followed by a .co.uk. These were the only two names I owned for a long time. Still have the .co.uk, the .com was awful and has been dropped.

•••
•••
In 94, and my first domain name contained a hyphen :) I only bought one domain speculatively at around that time, but it wasn't a good choice, and of course now I wish I'd had the foresight to buy a lot more!

•••
In 94, and my first domain name contained a hyphen :) I only bought one domain speculatively at around that time, but it wasn't a good choice, and of course now I wish I'd had the foresight to buy a lot more!

wow thats so long
i wonder what was the domain costs in that era :P :ghost:

•••
$35 per year at Net Sol when I registered in 1998 and you had to take two years at a time. Paid $50 to have someone help me do the registration :(

•••
In 2002, I registered the name bionichead.com for a project. After the project was completed, the other team members were not interested in the domain, so I kept using it for email purposes. Now I kind of like it and I doubt I would ever sell it.

•••
I registered my first domain name in 2004. It was for an art related site that I wanted to develop so I could showcase my work and the works of others. It then turned into an artsy products affiliate site then I let it drop. The name was reg'd for a year or so but I just checked and it is available again. I wonder if I should reg it for nostolgic purposes... LOL probably not.

•••
I got my DJ name in .ca in 2001, then in 2005 I got a .com for my first online business with a hyphen because I thought it read easier. Have since picked up the non-hyphen version.

•••
1997 for my company, 1998 for club I'm in, and 1999 for myself when I registered about 20 names for potential development. the development of those names never happened, but I sold a couple taking me in the sales direction.

Amazing how much things have changed in 10-12 years. You had to register for 2 years at $35/year. (The rate had just dropped from $50/year.) Online registration didn't really exist. You had to check whois and then fax or mail a contract with payment. You couldn't even register a name unless you had a hosting company to host or park the name. You even had to PAY to have it parked and use someone's DNS settings if you didn't want to use the domain.

Wow, that was a trip down memory lane...

•••
July 2006

This is my First Thread as a total newbie :tu:

•••
Nice, 112 votes with the majority of NP domainers starting between the years of 2004 and 2006.. Lets get more votes!!!

•••
I think I purchased my first domains in 96 or 97. But then I joined the Army and let the domains drop. *Facepalm*

They were not the best domains, but they would be better than most names in my portfolio today. I left the Army in 2006, when I got back to the web biz and joined Namepros.

•••
I purchased my first domains in 2006. The registrar was godaddy (I think) and I regged for ten years, before realizing what I had done. So, I still have the domains, and there has been little/no interest in them.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back