Dynadot

[VOTE] What year did you become a domain name owner?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What year did you become a domain name owner?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • 1991 or earlier

votes
    0.0%
  • 1992-1994

vote
    0.8%
  • 1995-1997

votes
    7.6%
  • 1998-1999

votes
    11.9%
  • 2000-2001

votes
    14.4%

votes
    5.9%

votes
    2.5%

votes
    10.2%

votes
    9.3%

votes
    11.9%

votes
    20.3%

votes
    5.1%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

GreenGambler

I Collect SilverVIP Member
Impact
Hello,

I'm wondering how long the average domainers, here on NamePros, have been domain name owners or in the business.
I asked this question somewhere else and got a pretty good response, on that site most people started domaining in 07'. Im guessing that the domainers here on NP are more seasoned but I could be wrong.

Let us know when you got your first domain name, whether you bought it, reg'd it or it was given to you.

What year did you first become a domain name owner?

Feel free to share comments and let us know what your first name was, or how many you owned that first year.

I look forward to the responses,
GG
:D

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I started late 2005, zawp.com (Sold it in 2006 I think) would have been amongst the original names I got, but I can't remember to clearly in what order I got what

•••
I started in 1996. I feel like a real geezer sometimes. I registered two domains on my first day:

Brittan.com
Creation Date: 30-may-1996

np-complete.com

yep... my first domain had a dash in it. NP-Complete is an obscure field of mathematics that is an obsession with me. I also own NPComplete.com, as well as the .net, .org, and .info versions, with and without dashes.

After 12 years I finally got my first request to buy np-complete.com from another mathematician that is obsessed with this field of mathematics. I thought it was funny that after all this time another math geek wanted the version with the dash. We both had a good laugh about that. Great minds think alike. No, it is not for sale... unless of course you have deep pockets and eager to pay an unreasonable price for a non-commercial domain with no traffic and limited audience.

intractably yours,
npcomplete

•••
My first domain reg was in 1998.

•••
My first reg was in 2006

•••
2007 here, though past experience with domains which were not mine.

•••
1997, if memory serves. I regged it, with NetSol, of course. It was the .com version of one of my early web usernames. I was super poor for years and let it lapse years ago. I re-regged it again just last year to test something out.

•••
TheVegasBook.com

Regged TheVegasBook.com in 1999 in anticipation of Internet Sports Betting someday.

Doc

•••
My first domain registration was in 1997

•••
•••
•••
Regged my first in 1996...

...it was for my own company, and a .com.au...

But...I just didn't 'connect' to the idea of domain investment....It didn't even occur to me to reg a range of (then) available generic .coms...

...ahhh, sadness...sadness...Opportunity lost...!!

•••
I remember in my last year of highschool, 1997, someone said something about people making heaps on domains, I thought to myself all the good names must be taken already (bad thought) also why didn't I think of getting some great names on the aftermarket back then, domain names never really crossed my mind again till late 2005 when my friend was buying one for his business. Then I just went domain name crazy

•••
my first in 2002, but not good at all! :(
In 2002 there were still good domains to register, incredible but true

•••
mine was timetobook.com just been parked and gets enough revenue to pay for itself each year, then all of a sudden an offer through last week on sedo for it :)

Just waiting for a response to the counter offer :)

•••
2004 -- I'm a bit late. ;)

I almost bought one in 2000, for what it's worth. :red:

•••
Etab said:
2004 -- I'm a bit late. ;)

I almost bought one in 2000, for what it's worth. :red:
Quote: "I almost bought one in 2000, for what it's worth"

Absolutely Classic XD

•••
Started in 95' about a month before there were reg. fees.

At the time I was pissed that I did not register more when they were absolutely free b/c I had a huge list I was getting ready to grab which ended up costing me thousands of dollars to get when I could of had them free.

I thought by 1997 I would have had offers for millions but it took until 2000 until many more astute minds began to wake up and realize the values.

Here we are in 2008 and still, domains really have not caught on.

If people only knew what we do .............. :)

•••
npcomplete said:
I started in 1996. I feel like a real geezer sometimes. I registered two domains on my first day:

Brittan.com

np-complete.com

yep... my first domain had a dash in it. NP-Complete is an obscure field of mathematics that is an obsession with me. I also own NPComplete.com, as well as the .net, .org, and .info versions, with and without dashes.

After 12 years I finally got my first request to buy np-complete.com from another mathematician that is obsessed with this field of mathematics. I thought it was funny that after all this time another math geek wanted the version with the dash. We both had a good laugh about that. Great minds think alike. No, it is not for sale... unless of course you have deep pockets and eager to pay an unreasonable price for a non-commercial domain with no traffic and limited audience.

intractably yours,
npcomplete

Did you register Maths.com or mathematics.com as well in 1996?

•••
james2002 said:
Did you register Maths.com or mathematics.com as well in 1996?

nope. I did register math.net, physics.net, and many other tech domains. I am a mathematician/physicist in the day job. Sold math.net a few months ago.

math.net
Creation Date: 05-oct-1996

physics.net

physicist.com
Creation Date: 10-aug-1996

Although I got in early, a lot of the great .com domains were already taken, although I did pick up Christ.com at reg fee. Overall I bought hundreds of domains back then... and of course they were a lot more expensive then too.

•••
npcomplete said:
nope. I did register math.net, physics.net, and many other tech domains. I am a mathematician/physicist in the day job. Sold math.net a few months ago.

math.net

physics.net

physicist.com
Creation Date: 10-aug-1996

Although I got in early, a lot of the great .com domains were already taken, although I did pick up Christ.com at reg fee. Overall I bought hundreds of domains back then... and of course they were a lot more expensive then too.

Good names, complete, You made me look up NP-Complete on Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NP-complete

GG

•••
Seabass said:
Here we are in 2008 and still, domains really have not caught on. If people only knew what we do .............. :)
Interesting thought :)

I'm always a bit surprised when people say: "it's too late to buy good names, they are all gone".

I started in December 2004 and thought the same, although now almost 4 years later, I wish I had bought and regged more names then and am quite sure people will think the same about 2008 in a few years from now ;)

•••
My first time was late in 2004, I'm practically a virgin :red:

•••
I first became a domain owner in 2002 when Network Solutions had a monopoly. I first became a domainer in 2006 with GoDaddy.

•••
2002 My first one. Then lost the domain name in 2003 but made a good comeback in 2004 ending and brought the one I lost earlier.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back