Dynadot

[VOTE] What year did you become a domain name owner?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What year did you become a domain name owner?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • 1991 or earlier

votes
    0.0%
  • 1992-1994

vote
    0.8%
  • 1995-1997

votes
    7.6%
  • 1998-1999

votes
    11.9%
  • 2000-2001

votes
    14.4%

votes
    5.9%

votes
    2.5%

votes
    10.2%

votes
    9.3%

votes
    11.9%

votes
    20.3%

votes
    5.1%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

GreenGambler

I Collect SilverVIP Member
Impact
Hello,

I'm wondering how long the average domainers, here on NamePros, have been domain name owners or in the business.
I asked this question somewhere else and got a pretty good response, on that site most people started domaining in 07'. Im guessing that the domainers here on NP are more seasoned but I could be wrong.

Let us know when you got your first domain name, whether you bought it, reg'd it or it was given to you.

What year did you first become a domain name owner?

Feel free to share comments and let us know what your first name was, or how many you owned that first year.

I look forward to the responses,
GG
:D

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
1995 it's a .com.ph a cctld of our country, the Philippines.

•••
2001 - Wanted to become a graphic designer back then.

Anarchyology.com
Created: 2001-01-26

Only ever used it as a email domain. Will start working on the site tomorrow.

Kru

•••
around2002, if i remember right.

•••
My first reg was on 2006, for my personal site :)

•••
2008(my entry year) brought some good and a lot bad domains to my credit.hope the ratio improves over time.

•••
I started very late in this game, started in Jan 2007 :(

•••
•••
2007 seems to have been a very good year for the domain name industry.

•••
Started regging in 1998. $100 beno's a pop too. Wow, it's been 10 years already.

•••
I think my first one was hyperactivate.com in 1999, as I was looking for a kind of cool sounding domain but soon found they were mostly taken,..well, at least that was my impression after spending hours looking for one. Back then it seemed I was very late to get into the game, ...in the fall of 2002 I finally started to have some success then I mostly gave up sometime in 2004. I will occasionally register a domain for fun if I check on a term and see it's available. I let hyperactivate.com expire, I see someone else picked it up. Anyway, I'm glad to see people are still successful at domaining even today. Even starting back in 1999 it took me several years to make enough money, ...I'm a bit on the slow side though.

•••
My first was in 1999, still own it and not for sale.

•••
gazzip said:
My first time was late in 2004, I'm practically a virgin :red:

Domain Virgin :D

•••
•••
Not many people from 08' yet.. Maybe it's that they just don't check the forum as much?

•••
I got my very first domain last year (2007)! :)

•••
2000-1

Although in 1998 I had cfbl.org for my fantasy baseball league.

It did occur to me in 1995 when I saw .coms on billboards that they were incredible investments, however I told myself I couldn't register them because:

I was under 18

I didn't have a license to register them.

I never did my homework to find out I could have registered them for about 35 dollars a year, nor did I bring up the right conversation to the right person to figure that out either.

NamePros in the 90s would have been quite helpful

Last edited:
•••
Computer literate since 1997, got into the world wide web in 1999. Registered my first domain in 2004 and since 2004 I wasted over 5k in registrations fees, never did anything since then except registered more crazy dot com, and a few others.

In 2008...got back into the game and decided to go for the dot Asia full throtle.

•••
i am buying domains since 2006 :)

•••

Bought my first domain for an online business i had,

Still own part of the business but not the name.

•••
tight-aggressive said:
2000-1

Although in 1998 I had cfbl.org for my fantasy baseball league.

It did occur to me in 1995 when I saw .coms on billboards that they were incredible investments, however I told myself I couldn't register them because:

I was under 18

I didn't have a license to register them.

I never did my homework to find out I could have registered them for about 35 dollars a year, nor did I bring up the right conversation to the right person to figure that out either.

NamePros in the 90s would have been quite helpful

Should'a, Could'a, Would'a.. LOL I wish I would have thought about it at that time and carried through aswell.

•••
2007 for me. Got myself a lame .com but sold it this year for $25 so I guess it was worth it :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back