Dynadot

VOID APPRAISALS: AS IF THE NAME ONLY MATTERS

NameSilo
Watch

WNC HOLDINGS

wnc.holdingsEstablished Member
Impact
Define valuable. Is “a 2-3 letter .com with an egregious use-case history” more valuable than “a hand-registered 22-character domain name with prospects”? To be clear, this isn’t a question of which TLD is really “king”. It’s a matter of how investor morals, values and principles are factored into determining domain value; and thus how appraisals are given.

Granted, there are many investors who view TLD and traffic/sales data as the “sole” factors in determining a domain’s value. However, there are likely investors who wouldn’t add particular domains to their portfolio regardless of what character-count and traffic data they may have. For these investors, “overriding morals for a prospective profit isn’t an option”.

Needless to say, every domain investor has their own philosophy and strategy. Some are more reserved about their disclosure of either; while others look to indoctrinate new, and existing, investors. These investors double-down on their belief that certain domains are worthless; leaving those seeking a seasoned perspective to question their own approach.

As the world continues to evolve, the standards within the domain investing world should as well. There seems to be more focus on the “numbers”; and not too many open discussions about whether there’s a class of morals, values and principles pegged to each domain. Some may feel “it’s just about domains and money”. Others would say it’s more to it.

We’re curious to know what YOU (the person) think. Please share below.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Since you’re so strongly opinionated on whether the domain extension matters or not, and whether long tail descriptive sounding name is more conducive to ‘value, morals and principles’ than shorter names, why not share some of your ‘proof positive’ domain sales that validate your views of such for others to learn from.

And while you’re at it, (outside of adult or vulgar words), please explain what ‘morals’ have to do with domain investing, extensions and domain length in your views.

•••
Since you’re so strongly opinionated on whether the domain extension matters or not, and whether long tail descriptive sounding name is more conducive to ‘value, morals and principles’ than shorter names, why not share some of your ‘proof positive’ domain sales that validate your views of such for others to learn from.

And while you’re at it, (outside of adult or vulgar words), please explain what ‘morals’ have to do with domain investing, extensions and domain length in your views.

@hawkeye,

We hope all is well. It’s apparent you forwent sharing your viewpoint in favor of proposing a narrative meant to suggest the intent for this post was self-serving. This post clearly doesn't question the morals, values and principles of any investor. It’s merely to jog the discussion about how each is factored into the reader’s approach to domain investing. (If at all.)

The subject of preferred TLD, domain length and the like have been addressed in other threads we’ve posted. THIS thread is meant to “go beyond the investment into the mind of the investor”. Primarily because “we’re all human”. Every investor has personal beliefs that shape why, and how, they invest. Hopefully sharing a few can be eye-opening for others somehow.

You’re welcome to share. We, like many others, would love to know how the “person(s)” behind the @hawkeye profile factor personal standard into domain investing; and how it’s shaped successes and failures leading up until now. Considering your forum credentials, we’re confident you have a deal of personal treasures to share that further brand your human nature.

Again, we welcome your insights.

Last edited:
•••
Here is my insight, in a form of suggestion: please stop with the verbal diarrhea and start formulating specific questions (if you have anything to ask or discuss, of course - cause so far it doesn't look so).

•••
Here is my insight, in a form of suggestion: please stop with the verbal diarrhea and start formulating specific questions (if you have anything to ask or discuss, of course - cause so far it doesn't look so).

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You hit the nail on the head.

"We hope all is well." Give us all a break!

•••
Reading through these threads shows all the hallmarks of a negative marketing campaign.......not really that subtle about it either

Last edited:
•••
Thank you, thank you, thank you! You hit the nail on the head.

"We hope all is well." Give us all a break!
We know it might seem a little odd that someone actually cares if you’re doing well outside of domain investing.

There’s no break for us to offer other than inviting you to hit the downvote. Maybe that’ll provide you the relief you’re seeking.

We “thank you” for commenting.

•••
Reading through these threads shows all the hallmarks of a negative marketing campaign.......not really that subtle about it either
It reads that your interpretation has been getting an exercise. As for whether you’ve reached an accurate conclusion, that’s for you to decide. There’s one truth that can’t be debated though. It’s the fact the downvote is available to you. Give it a press or two.

Take care.

•••
3. They can call you out on your nonsensical postings and horrible business strategy.

What is your purpose on this forum? You must have joined for a reason...

If you wanted a real post you could have just asked "What ethical, moral, principled considerations do you use in your domain business?" or something equally short. Always use the KISS principle - Keep It Short & Simple

I'm sure many people including myself have an overall guide to how we do business. But how I do business doesn't make somebody else's names more or less valuable or determine an appraised value.

Having a negative impact score is nothing to be proud of - particularly if you joined to somehow advance your business.

•••
1. I'd suggest you better opt not to write.
2. You are not that interesting or entertaining to be downvoted. Downvote is something that needs to be deserved ))))
3. They can call you out on your nonsensical postings and horrible business strategy.

What is your purpose on this forum? You must have joined for a reason...

If you wanted a real post you could have just asked "What ethical, moral, principled considerations do you use in your domain business?" or something equally short. Always use the KISS principle - Keep It Short & Simple

I'm sure many people including myself have an overall guide to how we do business. But how I do business doesn't make somebody else's names more or less valuable or determine an appraised value.

Having a negative impact score is nothing to be proud of - particularly if you joined to somehow advance your business.

@inforg

Thank you for chiming in. There are no guidelines for “how much should be written” and “who should read”. We’re all leveraging “choice” and not “obligation” here. Venting is welcome. (Hence, “press the downvote”.) We’d prefer open-minded consideration; but we know this can be an acquired taste for those stuck in their ways. Press the downvote if you feel obliged. Regardless, we wish you well as both a person and investor. (In that order.)

Last edited:
•••
We know it might seem a little odd that someone actually cares if you’re doing well outside of domain investing.

There’s no break for us to offer other than inviting you to hit the downvote. Maybe that’ll provide you the relief you’re seeking.

Must give you credit, you definitely are very condescending in your replies here.

•••
You do all understand, that as long as you reply to this post, you give it value?

•••
Yes, because he posts stuff that actually makes you think and view things from a different angle.

I hope you don't disappoint WNC and are here for long-term engagement without some sort of hidden agenda creeping up sometime.

And also the "we" thing, it truly is rubbing folks the wrong way, only because it takes away from the authenticity of the posts coming from an individual perspective and seems more like a robotic company statement. In all sincerity, not trying to be negative! Far more genuine approach when it's simply "I". Aye? Understood you've said you're representing a team, but represent yourself.

Like you said:
We’re curious to know what YOU (the person) think. Please share below.
You.

Also inviting negative reactions (the downvotes thing) from the get-go lays a foundation of conflict- I totally understand what you've been getting at, reading behind lines, but people take things literally and often jump at the opportunity.

I appreciate your presentation, patience and alternative viewpoints you've had despite the overwhelming odds against them.

Next time I'll try to stay on topic.

•••
•••

Do you have a corporate/ waffle scriptwriter for each of your responses?

•••
•••
Back