IT.COM

.tv .VIDEO effect on .TV aftermarket?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
.VIDEO will launch soon. I suppose it could become a competitor for .TV domains priced at five figures or with high premium renewals. Personally I believe .TV is a much better choice and I have no plans to acquire any .VIDEO or any new TLDs at this point. Regardless, .VIDEO might present an alternative to developers with low budgets.

My view is the .TV aftermarket is despite a few reported sales the .TV aftermarket is not booming. I have had a few low $XXX .TV sales in recent weeks but nothing to get excited about given that .TV renewals are considerably more than $8.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't expect .video to have cheap renewal fees.

It's a 5 letter gTLD as apposed .TV's 2 letters.

Also there are .movie, .mov .cam and .film coming soon

•••
What about
.videos
.movie
.movies
...?

•••
longer extensions are a minus
they're also less universal - 'video' is an english word, and while .tv may have started in the english world, just about anybody will recognize that it is related to video

the new gTLDs will work against each other. I don't think they're really a big threat - they'll have to match the right side well - much more than .tv has to.

•••
The movie ones have the small advantage of producers not wanting to label their movie with TV or video. And there is that dot TV really a country thingy that nobody likes to talk about, sorry I mention it.

•••
None whatsoever.

Fewer and fewer gtlds registrations which will be followed by more and more drops with hardly any of them getting enough traction to be viable.

•••
.TV is ccTLD for the island nation of Tuvalu - population 10,837

Tuvalu leased the rights of .TV to a Californian company and royalties have accounted for 10% of the national income.

This island is only 15 ft above sea level and with the expected rise in sea levels over the next 100 years Tuvalu may end up uninhabitable. what happens .TV after ?

.Video should present competition for .TV at least as an alternative for some and more appropriate for others.

Last edited:
•••
.TV is ccTLD for the island nation of Tuvalu - population 10,837

Tuvalu leased the rights of .TV to a Californian company and royalties have accounted for 10% of the national income.

This island is only 15 ft above sea level and with the expected rise in sea levels over the next 100 years Tuvalu may end up uninhabitable. what happens .TV after ?

.Video should present competition for .TV at least as an alternative for some and more appropriate for others.
.tv is not a tuvalu http://www.verisigninc.com/en_US/domain-names/tv-domain-names/index.xhtml

The domain is currently operated by dotTV, a Verisign company; the Tuvalu government owns twenty percent of the company. In 2000, Tuvalu negotiated a contract leasing its Internet domain name ".tv" for $50 million in royalties over a 12-year period.[1] The Tuvalu government receives a quarterly payment of US$1 million for use of the top-level domain.
source: wikipedia.org

•••
Without wanting to sound too much like a science teacher or make fun of the intelligence of people who continually churn out this garbage as fact - we need to understand one thing…

Tuvalu is NOT sinking...

...the sea level is actually rising.

(and in part that is because the world has too much ‘hot air'!)

Now, for all the smartypants out there, if the sea level rises by enough to cover all of Tuvalu (which even the worst scenarios isn't seen happening in the next 100 years) we will all be a bit too concerned about most of the towns and cities (like London, New York, Miami, etc) along the coasts of dozens of many other countries.

The oceans don't just rise over Tuvalu, they rise equally, EVERYWHERE.

So, for those in London and New York, think what that extra five metres in sea level could do to your city.
Most of Manhattan, for example, is less than 15 feet above sea level.
http://www.wnyc.org/story/113962-climate-change/

And then consider the idiotic words you hear about Tuvalu.

There is a REAL precedent if the unthinkable happened. When a volcano erupted in Tristan da Cunha (TLD = .sh) in 1961, the entire population were evacuated to wooden huts in a disused Army Camp in Merstham, Surrey, England. But that still didn't stop Tristan da Cunha from existing - as it still exists today. The same would happen to the residents of Tuvalu and .tv.

Tuvalu is not disappearing - and with Verisign paying millions each year to own the .TV extension, even if it did ‘go underwater’ there would be a stilt city as the 'remaining Tuvalu' within days.

As to the original question:

Forget the fact .video is a five-letter extension and .tv a two-letter one
Forget the fact that TV, like OK, is one of the few words that is genuinely used and understood worldwide from Argentina to China to Finland to Jordan to Zimbabwe
Forget the fact that .tv is now used by hundreds and thousands of real TV channels and organisations while .video is just another in a long line of silly arse new extensions
Forget the fact that .TV is run by Verisign - the same people who run .com

And concentrate on one simple fact:

The word 'video' is almost unknown in many other languages.

As for the other extensions that come along at some point ahead I think the most worrying for .tv would not be a filmy name but something like .web - but I also think that domains in general have a limited shelf life anyway as new technology will ultimately make them all disappear.

Final words that we should all concentrate on.

Do .tvs make great names for a development?
- I can only speak for myself and say the answer is yes, both for my own projects and for the projects that people who bought them off me

Do .tvs make profit?
- I can only speak for myself again when I say I have sold several in the last few weeks - one of which went for 130 times what I bought it for.

Do domainers like them?
- Maybe not all - mostly because of the stupid premium system - but that doesn't stop significantly successful domainers such as Fin, Berkens, Ben Van Dyk, FMA and many others from ploughing hundreds of thousands into their portfolio of .tv names.

If you are getting a .video name - good luck - but please be careful that you research the market first.
(the same goes for anyone buying into .tv - do your research and understand what actually works - and if you are a domainer, what sells - as many have been burned thinking it is an easy route to riches)

•••
•••
I noticed recently they are building an unsightly looking wall along Palm Beach I would presume to provide minimal protection in case of a storm surge during hurricane season or rising tides in general. Real estate in the island of Palm Beach is pricey.

•••
they do this all over the world now - were sinking :-o

•••
.video along with the hundreds of other new tlds will have some negative effect on speculative values. but a good .com will probaly still command a premium price. not sure if the same will hold true for .tv or anything else. probaly not.

•••
we will all be a bit too concerned about most of the towns and cities (like London, New York, Miami, etc) along the coasts of dozens of many other countries.

I'm not saying that London doesn't have threats from rising sea levels, particularly from storm surges along the Thames from the Estuary...... but since when has London been a coastal city?

The city of London will just need to upgrade the Thames Barrier at some stage in the future. If you want a decent example of a city which could find itself underwater then pick a more obvious one like Amsterdam..... which is already an average 2 meters under sea level.

Likewise though, you could quite easily use Amsterdam as an example of how a city can adapt to rising sea levels quite easily, seeing as they are already under water.

•••
Without wanting to sound too much like a science teacher or make fun of the intelligence of people who continually churn out this garbage as fact - we need to understand one thing…

Tuvalu is NOT sinking...

...the sea level is actually rising.

(and in part that is because the world has too much ‘hot air'!)

Now, for all the smartypants out there, if the sea level rises by enough to cover all of Tuvalu (which even the worst scenarios isn't seen happening in the next 100 years) we will all be a bit too concerned about most of the towns and cities (like London, New York, Miami, etc) along the coasts of dozens of many other countries.

The oceans don't just rise over Tuvalu, they rise equally, EVERYWHERE.

So, for those in London and New York, think what that extra five metres in sea level could do to your city.
Most of Manhattan, for example, is less than 15 feet above sea level.
http://www.wnyc.org/story/113962-climate-change/

And then consider the idiotic words you hear about Tuvalu.

There is a REAL precedent if the unthinkable happened. When a volcano erupted in Tristan da Cunha (TLD = .sh) in 1961, the entire population were evacuated to wooden huts in a disused Army Camp in Merstham, Surrey, England. But that still didn't stop Tristan da Cunha from existing - as it still exists today. The same would happen to the residents of Tuvalu and .tv.

Tuvalu is not disappearing - and with Verisign paying millions each year to own the .TV extension, even if it did ‘go underwater’ there would be a stilt city as the 'remaining Tuvalu' within days.

As to the original question:

Forget the fact .video is a five-letter extension and .tv a two-letter one
Forget the fact that TV, like OK, is one of the few words that is genuinely used and understood worldwide from Argentina to China to Finland to Jordan to Zimbabwe
Forget the fact that .tv is now used by hundreds and thousands of real TV channels and organisations while .video is just another in a long line of silly arse new extensions
Forget the fact that .TV is run by Verisign - the same people who run .com

And concentrate on one simple fact:

The word 'video' is almost unknown in many other languages.

As for the other extensions that come along at some point ahead I think the most worrying for .tv would not be a filmy name but something like .web - but I also think that domains in general have a limited shelf life anyway as new technology will ultimately make them all disappear.

Final words that we should all concentrate on.

Do .tvs make great names for a development?
- I can only speak for myself and say the answer is yes, both for my own projects and for the projects that people who bought them off me

Do .tvs make profit?
- I can only speak for myself again when I say I have sold several in the last few weeks - one of which went for 130 times what I bought it for.

Do domainers like them?
- Maybe not all - mostly because of the stupid premium system - but that doesn't stop significantly successful domainers such as Fin, Berkens, Ben Van Dyk, FMA and many others from ploughing hundreds of thousands into their portfolio of .tv names.

If you are getting a .video name - good luck - but please be careful that you research the market first.
(the same goes for anyone buying into .tv - do your research and understand what actually works - and if you are a domainer, what sells - as many have been burned thinking it is an easy route to riches)

Who don't know VIDEO? What the languages? Are you kidding? African people knows, kiribati people knows, Australians knows, Indian and Chinese too. Every escimos at Earth knows what is it video.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back