Domain Empire

Very interesting TLD proposal

NameSilo
Watch
I saw an article today that is a very interesting TLD proposal, that would really shake up the generic domain market if adopted. It proposes creating a band of meaningless TLD's with .LNN (letter, number, number) in which you would pick a word and be assigned a random but somewhat meaningless TLD.

The article is a very interesting read:

http://www.nutters.org/docs/dns-cornucopia

The writer calls it a Cornucopia proposal.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Gets even more confusing than things already are, although I suppose that's what people said about phone number area codes at first too.

But a randomly assigned extension would quickly run out as well... in one day all of the credit.xxx's would be gone, etc.

-Allan

•••
Weird and somewhat confusing D-:

•••
Would it make the .com's, .net's, .org's more valuable over time?

•••
One of the dumbest things I ever read. WHy not have .* or .% Every person in the world have their own tld. Sex.johnsmith We have too many tlds IMO. But thanks for the Post Adopt it is always worth reading.

•••
i love the idea, its like an area code for a website, its brilliant if you ask me, but not so much random the idea could use a little work....

•••
andriegel said:
Would it make the .com's, .net's, .org's more valuable over time?

I think the existing tld's would still be valued for their intended purposein the long run, but I can definitely see it hurting the low end of the market where someone wants a short keyword of their hobby, name, sport, etc. where they might accept the random tld ending.

It's really a lot like phone numbers in that you really get little choice of your area code since it's just assigned to you.

•••
I personally would welcome it.. IMO, the ext is the smallest part of the value of the domain. After the purchase, good SEO can help overcome nearly any problem.

•••
Its a wild but interesting idea. The writer is obviously thinking out of the box.

I don't think his idea will gain official support, but assuming it did, I think a better implementation would be to open up the anything.anything for registration. So someone who wants sex.* can easily make-up something like sex.NY. Someone else can register museum.NY or sex.star.

Such infinite TLDs, of course, would change the domain landscape, and IMO would specially weaken the value of non-dotcoms.

•••
armstrong said:
Its a wild but interesting idea. The writer is obviously thinking out of the box.

I don't think his idea will gain official support, but assuming it did, I think a better implementation would be to open up the anything.anything for registration. So someone who wants sex.* can easily make-up something like sex.NY. Someone else can register museum.NY or sex.star.

Such infinite TLDs, of course, would change the domain landscape, and IMO would specially weaken the value of non-dotcoms.

Opening to anything would actually end all possiblities of future meaningful TLD's and be too hard to manageby one registry. I think the idea is well thought out in that .LNN would give 2600 potential different TLD's and still allow future growth of meaningful .LLL ones.

An alternate root provider already attempted to offer any TLD you wanted a while back. I think they may have went out of business since they offered "phantom" domains similar to new.net.

It may be a long long time, but I think .com will lost some luster to the secondary TLD's over time and as search engines get better and more used. Very similar to the way 800 numbers were more prized over 888, and them over 877 and 866. 800 and .com will always indicate longer ownership, but I think it's less important than it was immediately after additional toll free exchanges were introduced and new TLD's were first intruduced.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back