IT.COM

Verisign Review

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
Rich, it's so sad that after 3.5 years you don't understand why it's perfectly reasonable to put these pricetags on these .com domains.

You can't even coherently explain what the key issue is in your mind. Are you upset that good .com domains are so expensive? Or are you upset that other extensions aren't desired by end users?

Verisign's comments were self-serving... They just want to be able to charge more for registrations. What's your ultimate goal?

"Verisign's comments were self-serving"

Yes they were Joe, but they were spot on:xf.wink: As a self proclaimed Wistleblower I call 'em as I see 'em, and comments like these ; "there is also an unregulated secondary market - led by domain speculators - hiding in plain sight. Some domain speculators buy domain names at regulated low prices, then sell them at far higher prices. Even traditional registrars like Go Daddy/Afternic and Huge Domains have become big players in the secondary market and hold large portfolios of domain names for resale. Go Daddy and Huge Domains are not the only ones profiting from .com price caps. Domain speculation, or "domain scalping" as some call it has become a highly profitable industry unto itself. Flipping domain names or warehousing them to create scarcity adds nothing to the industry and merely allows those engaged in this questionable practice to enrich themselves at the expense of consumers and businesses" are proof(y)

Joe...if you want to have a meaningful conversation with me about why I believe .online is a viable alternative to .com let's intelligently address Verisigns comments about the industry. Then after we do that, let's address and discuss my personal experience involving Go Daddy/Afternic and the "secondary market" where I've learned the industry is as unethical and CORRUPT as they come.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm not seeking engagement from anyone except from you and a few others Joe, and it seems to be working.
That I can definitely agree with! You are highly successful at garnering little to no engagement. :)

Last edited:
•••
That I can definitely agree with! You are highly successful at garnering little to no engagement. :)

Joe...you'll be happy to know I've engaged a few other people in the media who are willing to do a story about the two faces of Verisign:xf.smile:

•••
I am looking forward to the exposé that Bulloney is going to bring vs Verisign and domain hoarding and scalping.

Sure, Bulloney is also buying domains as an investment to sell at a profit, but that conflict won't stop his legendary journalistic integrity.

With a story this big it is a tough call which outlet to go to. Clearly there is going to be demand from all the major news outlets for this groundbreaking story.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
... there's a viable and affordable alternative to .com

Of course there are alternatives for anything common and the alternative gives you a choice and it's incredibly expensive choice.

You need to help your customers understand not just what your extension is, but ... it puts you at cause and not at effect. Keep learning.

The Alternative use some be-mart tricks to help you promote "their business".

Good Luck!

Regards

Last edited:
•••
Ok, yall....

This .com V .online // GoDaddy V verisign V radix discussion is being dragged out to so many threads, it's hard to count/follow. And still very confusing/deflection-filled.

It's very entertaining, don't get me wrong. Just hard to follow, and a lot of repeat discussion, that might just be best categorized into one large mega thread. But I doubt that's going to happen. Similar to how @ThatNameGuy likes to register 1,000s of alt extension domains on promo, and forget about them, it seems that @ThatNameGuy is taking a similar approach to creating multiple nP threads, to discussing similar content on a farther view reaching level. #effective

I don't mean to poke fun, and maybe best I just stay out of this, and continue eating my popcorn in silence. As seeing @ThatNameGuy continually explore/deflect many different ideas, albeit exhausting, is actually quite entertaining, and at times thought provoking. Additionally, I'm supercalifragilisticexpialidociously blown away at the patience, courtesy, and professionalism of @Joe N. I'm learning a lot, on a communications level alone, from watching these ever growing popcorn debate/deflects.

Any chance we can get you two on a debate floor? Perhaps on one of @Ategy domain social, where you can have an audience of domain professionals listen in to weigh in on this debate, or some other medium?

Minute Mark 1:08 "... The world was changing, and .com was getting bigger. So you see, .com was like .online, in that, they were both lost in the woods. And nobody, especially the little boy, "society", knew where to find them. Except that .com was a dog. But .online... my friends, that was a revolution!"

Last edited:
•••
Of course there are alternatives for anything common and the alternative gives you a choice and it's incredibly expensive choice.

You need to help your customers understand not just what your extension is, but ... it puts you at cause and not at effect. Keep learning.

The Alternative use some be-mart tricks to help you promote "their business".

Good Luck!

Regards
"and it's incredibly expensive choice"???.....Lox, is this what you read into my comment, "there's an affordable alternative" to most all .com's?

Lox...maybe it's because you're a traditional domainer and I'm not, nor do I care to be. Lets say for example you or anyone owns the domain Lox.com, and I were to purchase the domain Lox.online as an "affordable alternative" for my client who happens to be in the Nova Scotia Lox business whereby he sells and ships his lox all over the world from his website (online). Follow me so far?

Note, Lox.com leads to a website of a company from Utah who is better known as JJCT, inc. Lox, these folks are in the "fastening" business if you know what that is. They also have a registered® trademark for Lox®, but it's specifically for their business. Now note that GD appraises Lox.com @ $25,000+, Estibot @ $126,000 and Nameworth @ $300,000......now that's what I call "incredibly expensive", especially when compared to the $2,500 or less that I would sell Lox.online for. One of the two of us is missing something Lox.....please tell me what I'm missing. Thanks

•••
Ok, yall....

This .com V .online // GoDaddy V verisign V radix discussion is being dragged out to so many threads, it's hard to count/follow. And still very confusing/deflection-filled.

It's very entertaining, don't get me wrong. Just hard to follow, and a lot of repeat discussion, that might just be best categorized into one large mega thread. But I doubt that's going to happen. Similar to how @ThatNameGuy likes to register 1,000s of alt extension domains on promo, and forget about them, it seems that @ThatNameGuy is taking a similar approach to creating multiple nP threads, to discussing similar content on a farther view reaching level.

I don't mean to poke fun, and maybe best I just stay out of this, and continue eating my popcorn in silence. As seeing @ThatNameGuy continually explore/deflect many different ideas, albeit exhausting, is actually quite entertaining, and at times thought provoking. Additionally, I'm supercalifragilisticexpialidociously blown away at the patience, courtesy, and professionalism of @Joe N. I'm learning a lot, on a communications level alone, from watching these ever growing popcorn debate/deflects.

Any chance we can get you two on a debate floor? Perhaps on one of @Ategy domain social, where you can have an audience of domain professionals listen in to weigh in on this debate, or some other medium?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where you and Joe and an "audience of domain professionals" totally miss the boat is that I'm not a "professional domainer", and either are the "end users" that I'm selling domains to.

If Joe and I were to debate before an "audience of domain professionals" I would concede before we got started. However, if we were to debate before some of my business peers, I know I would stand better than a fighting chance.

Grilled....are you familiar with TQM or "Total Quality Management"? Here's one Wiki definition that may help;

A core definition of total quality management (TQM) describes a management approach to long-term success through customer satisfaction. In a TQM effort, all members of an organization participate in improving processes, products, services, and the culture in which they work.

Essentially Grilled....you and Joe and most other domainers have the philosophy, "if it 'aint broke, don't fix it.":xf.rolleyes: However, my philosophy with most everything I do in life is, there's ALWAYS a better way:xf.wink:

I hope my response Grilled kept up the "entertainment" standards you expect. Maybe you see it as a deflection, but it's the best I can do:xf.wink:

•••
I hope my response Grilled kept up the "entertainment" standards you expect. Maybe you see it as a deflection, but it's the best I can do

I would love to listen in on a .com V .online domain debate between @Joe N + @bmugford And you + some of your business peers.

Could this be arranged? Do you need a format or predetermind topics to study/prepare stats/numbers/thoughts on?

Last edited:
•••
I would love to listen in on a .com V .online domain debate between @Joe N + @bmugford And you + some of your business peers.

Could this be arranged? Do you need a format or predetermind topics to study/prepare stats/numbers/thoughts on?

My problem is I haven't really seen anything from Bulloney in years now that is worth debating in any major way.

He also seems like he is not open to learning, even from people that are actually successful in the field.

He just talks about what he is going to do, instead of actually doing it.

Before .online, it was .realty. How is that going?

I am also not sure what debate there is to be had. I could point to the reality of how dominant .COM is, or how insignificant .Online is via stats.

I sell extensions other than .COM, but the reality is the reality.

All he can do is point to how he plans to change that.

You can namedrop, point to accomplishments in unrelated businesses decades ago...Unless you actually do something in the field no one cares. That is a major reason engagement is so low in his threads.

It is all talk with nothing to back it up.

I am more than willing to help people who actually want to learn. It is a better use of time.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
"and it's incredibly expensive choice"???.....Lox, is this what you read into my comment, "there's an affordable alternative" to most all .com's?

Lox...maybe it's because you're a traditional domainer and I'm not, nor do I care to be. Lets say for example you or anyone owns the domain Lox.com, and I were to purchase the domain Lox.online as an "affordable alternative" for my client who happens to be in the Nova Scotia Lox business whereby he sells and ships his lox all over the world from his website (online). Follow me so far?

Note, Lox.com leads to a website of a company from Utah who is better known as JJCT, inc. Lox, these folks are in the "fastening" business if you know what that is. They also have a registered® trademark for Lox®, but it's specifically for their business. Now note that GD appraises Lox.com @ $25,000+, Estibot @ $126,000 and Nameworth @ $300,000......now that's what I call "incredibly expensive", especially when compared to the $2,500 or less that I would sell Lox.online for. One of the two of us is missing something Lox.....please tell me what I'm missing. Thanks

If the price of .com goes up, the demand for .online goes up, too. You know that already; by using substitute extension vs mainstream extension the company may incur high marketing costs (confusion) which, in turn, reduces operating profits. (for the same reason, Block.one has no choice but to acquired B1.com and temp. fw to .one extension). I understand your views and the power of waves hitting a coastline ... just ... waves are caused by wind and they're not flying! They're… falling in style! 150M com vs 25M nG. To not mention 250M net, org, cctlds s.a. io, ai, etc ... in total 400M vs 25M nG. That should tell you something about.

Regards

•••
My problem is I haven't really seen anything from Bulloney in years now that is worth debating in any major way.

He also seems like he is not open to learning, even from people that are actually successful in the field.

He just talks about what he is going to do, instead of actually doing it.

Before .online, it was .realty. How is that going?

I am also not sure what debate there is to be had. I could point to the reality of how dominant .COM is, or how insignificant .Online is via stats.

I sell extensions other than .COM, but the reality is the reality.

All he can do is point to how he plans to change that.

You can namedrop, point to accomplishments in unrelated businesses decades ago...Unless you actually do something in the field no one cares. That is a major reason engagement is so low in his threads.

It is all talk with nothing to back it up.

I am more than willing to help people who actually want to learn. It is a better use of time.

Brad
Brad....you might as well get use to me for I've sold enough .com domains in the last twelve months to keep me in this game for years. You're right, despite your claim to be "successful in the filed", I don't much care what you have to say. I've not told you that you're doing it wrong, have I? A good analogy would be you calling me a racist when you have no basis to back it up, thus making you the racist.

The only thing I can say about you and Joe and others attempting to dispel everything I do and say only encourages me:xf.smile: I guess If I hadn't been successful affecting "change" in other industries not unlike the domain industry, I wouldn't be such a thorn in your side. The only thing I can say Brad is you better get use to it, and try to learn from it:xf.wink:

•••
That would be a lot of fun! I'm game.

•••
If Joe and I were to debate before an "audience of domain professionals" I would concede before we got started. However, if we were to debate before some of my business peers, I know I would stand better than a fighting chance.
Seems like a good compromise would be to just do it in front of an audience of randomly selected business owners!

•••
now that's what I call "incredibly expensive", especially when compared to the $2,500 or less that I would sell Lox.online for.
Lox.online costs $625 to buy at the moment, Rich, so you'd be in tough to make a profit with that strategy. With that kind of pricing you'd need to sell 25% of your domains per year just to break even! Not impossible, I suppose, but I'm not sure anyone has every approached anywhere near a sell-through-rate like that when targeting primarily end users.

•••
Brad....you might as well get use to me for I've sold enough .com domains in the last twelve months to keep me in this game for years. You're right, despite your claim to be "successful in the filed", I don't much care what you have to say. I've not told you that you're doing it wrong, have I? A good analogy would be you calling me a racist when you have no basis to back it up, thus making you the racist.

The only thing I can say about you and Joe and others attempting to dispel everything I do and say only encourages me:xf.smile: I guess If I hadn't been successful affecting "change" in other industries not unlike the domain industry, I wouldn't be such a thorn in your side. The only thing I can say Brad is you better get use to it, and try to learn from it:xf.wink:

Hey man, congrats on your .COM sales. I am glad you were able to hoard and scalp to a profit.

I assume you have done so well with your hundreds (or thousands?) of .realty registrations, that you had no choice but to move on to .Online now.

Maybe we should start an .ONLINE reported sales thread. You could report some of your sales there, unless they are all subject to NDA.

(y)

Brad

Last edited:
•••

___________________________________________________________________________________
Grilled....i guess Verisign will need to be on my side of the debate since they're the ones who trashed the aftermarket of the domain industry. I know they realize the mistake they made, but it's too late to take back statements like;

"There is also an unregulated secondary market - led by domain speculators - hiding in plain sight,"

"The secondary market has expanded in ways that exploit consumers"

"Even traditional registrars like Go Daddy have become big players in the secondary market, and there's nothing in GoDaddy's public filings about the profits, but GoDaddy claims it's domain name portfolio is worth $2.5 billion"

Bottomline, Verisign was calling Go Daddy and the secondary market it represents a bunch of crooks. Anyone else see it that way?.....i do, and I have now experienced first hand their crooked ways much to the chagrin of my critics.

Finally Grilled...you speak of "deflection", which is btw an integral part of Debate101. It appears to me Joe is every bit as good at using the art of deflection as you consider me to be.

Finally, the word "deflection" is a fabulous word. So much so that someone should use it as a domain if it's available:xf.wink:

•••
Grilled....i guess Verisign will need to be on my side of the debate since they're the ones who trashed the aftermarket of the domain industry.

In order to understand the VS role related to the secondary market... you need to go wayback:

1994 GreatDomains.com pioneered the secondary market
2000 Verisign acquires GreatDomains.com
2007 Sedo acquires GreatDomains.com from VeriSign

Before Verisign

gdbfvs.jpg

Verisign

vsgd.jpg

Sedo

gdsdo.jpg

Last edited:
•••
Lox, do you mean the Love/Hate relationship? Please share from your perspective. With .online poised to be an affordable alternative to overpriced secondary domains, how do you see that impacting Verisign? Unlike you, I don't see both .online and .com going up in value? Thanks

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back