Domain Empire

Verisign and the .com Monopoly

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
Have you had your covid shots yet? How about your idiocy shot? Personally I think we're all idiots, just like none of us are without sin.

About 10 days ago Andrew Allemann interviewed David Daymen, the Executive Director of The American Prospect and the author of Monopolized; Life in the Age of Corporate Power. After listening to Andrews podcast I realized just how little Daymen knew about this industry when he didn't know the difference between a registry and a registrar. Sufficeth to say, Verisign is a monopoly of sorts when it comes to the .com piece of the domain industry, but it's not as though they're a monopoly in the entire domain space.

Moving on, i've posted here on NP a copy of Verisign's hit piece on the "secondary market" of the domain industry that just so happens to consist of mostly.com domains. Jeannie McPherson called out Go Daddy, Huge Domains, Uniregistry and a few other brokers who she says:

"There is an unregulated market - led by domain speculators - hiding in plain sight where some speculators buy domain names at regulated low prices, then sell them at a far higher price. However, since the wholesale price cap was imposed on .com in 2012, the secondary market has expanded in ways that exploit consumers"

Personally I've only been around or known about this industry for a little over three years. While I've been a business guy for over 50 years, I knew nothing of this industry because it's an industry like Jeannie said that has been, and still is "hiding in plain sight"

When Jeannie of Verisign first wrote her piece about the domain industry a few years ago I thought FINALLY....it's about time this industry was called on the carpet, and in need of serious regulation. I'v personally been the victim of what I consider attempts at extortion or at a minimum, the most unethical business practices I've witnessed in my 50 years as an entrepreneur.

Verisign and Jeannie McPherson were forced by the "secondary market" of the domain industry to essentially "shut up" because there was suppose to be "followup" to her hit piece that never materialized. Ironically, while I'm in Virginia, USA where Verisign is Headquartered, and the likes of Jeannie McPherson, Pat Kane and a few others won't respond to my requests for a meeting, Thus it's up to me to play their story forward.

I certainly hope they'e not on the take, but why they're not responding to me, a successful and respected business guy in the commonwealth who has connections across the isle, I just don't know?

Finally, I do realize the more I bring attention to this travesty the better it is for a new company being formed here in Virginia called ChaosMarketing:xf.eek:. Stay tuned.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back