IT.COM

discuss Verisign admits: It is difficult to identify desirable domain names that are available. Agree?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Patent says it’s hard to find available domains, marketing says most domain lookups are successful.

When do your company’s intellectual property efforts contradict your marketing efforts?

"A distinctive, easy-to-remember domain name is an important part of a web presence for individuals and businesses. Unfortunately, there are currently a limited number of domain names, and many desirable domain names in the most popular TLDs (e.g., .com) have already been taken. Thus, it is difficult to identify desirable domain names that are available (unregistered), otherwise known as non-existent domains (NXDomains).
"

Source: DomainNameWire

A survey here on NamePros showed that most of the users who voted, had made their maximum portfolio through hand registration.

Now what do you say to that?
Do you still see potential in hand-registration when the registry itself admits this fact?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Even before seeing this interesting message from the registry I believed that hang regs are really a thing of the past when it comes to common easy to remember valuable names, Like everyone I started by registering some names but quickly realized catching expired domains and private buys are the way to go.

I do believe that you can still register some brandable type of domains by hang reg but this goes with developing that brand from scratch. Like Google when they first started did not say to themselves, hey let's catch a name on the drop they simply made their own brand. The same applies today to anyone starting out and creating their brand. At first the domain may have no value but it will gain value with time and growth of company/brand.

- Will

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back