Dynadot

Values have dropped off?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

davelalande

Impact
I think with the expansion of the TLDs, the value of existing .com have fallen to 0? I've been buying and selling names for ~17 years and for about the last 18 months, nothing. No inquiries and no sales.

I have sold domains priced within $1500 - $7000 nearly every year since I've been selling, now nothing is happening?

Anyone else seeing this trend or am I just in a solo dry spell? :|

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think with the expansion of the TLDs, the value of existing .com have fallen to 0? I've been buying and selling names for ~17 years and for about the last 18 months, nothing. No inquiries and no sales.

I have sold domains priced within $1500 - $7000 nearly every year since I've been selling, now nothing is happening?

Huh?

Have you been watching the daily auction sites (gd, 4.cn and namejet?) been following the message boards? Dot com prices continue to get stronger by the day. It seems like the price of nnnn.coms have doubled in the last 8-10 months, lll.coms have gone up considerably as well. Where do you get dot com prices have fallen to nothing?

•••
OP, I guess you know you are wrong by that assertion but you just want to get the word out of people so that you can see what they have to say. More like an indirect way of seeking opinions.

•••
Huh?

Have you been watching the daily auction sites (gd, 4.cn and namejet?) been following the message boards? Dot com prices continue to get stronger by the day. It seems like the price of nnnn.coms have doubled in the last 8-10 months, lll.coms have gone up considerably as well. Where do you get dot com prices have fallen to nothing?
I guess it's a personal dry spell. Normally I get inquiries on my domain names regularly and am able to complete a sale at least once a year. In the last 18 months or more, I haven't gotten anything.

I do own quite a few wiki .coms, so maybe it's just that "wiki" has fallen our of the public consciousness?

•••
I guess it's a personal dry spell.

I do own quite a few wiki .coms, so maybe it's just that "wiki" has fallen our of the public consciousness?

:talk:

wiki is dead!

not good to put too many of the same eggs, in different baskets

:)

imo...

•••
I guess it's a personal dry spell. Normally I get inquiries on my domain names regularly and am able to complete a sale at least once a year. In the last 18 months or more, I haven't gotten anything.

Dry Spells happen from time to time. Im sure things will turn around for you. Welcome to Namepros!

•••
It's a dry spell because .COM is still doing just fine. Maybe you should steer clear of wiki names.

•••
It's a dry spell because .COM is still doing just fine. Maybe you should steer clear of wiki names.

My wiki names are .com.

•••
people are way more picky, I see names that usually people would backorder and nobody does, decent names on gd expired auctions ending up in the closeout section.

There are only so many really really good names, those are going for record breaking prices.

If someone needs a name for personal use and some so so .com is 1500 or the .net version is 10 bucks many will not be more open to go with the .net, some might settle for a hyphen in the name.

What this means is that a person with domains to sell needs to try to get out there using more techniques.

99% of listings I see on sedo, afternic, gd, have 0 pitch! Prop your name up, tell the end user about the exact searches, tell them something.

I also find the tips here real good https://www.namepros.com/showthread.php?t=781282 some are common sense yet overlooked.

•••
you know you have reach at deadlock. You need some "Yoga" and a free. Just relax, have fun do not look at domains for 6-8 months just perk up yourself.

•••
I also see less sales lately - and at a lower price. But I'm still selling, just not as many over the past 3 months and for slightly less. I was wondering the same thing as the OP... is it the gltds causing this, the economy, a dry spell, or something else?

•••
18 months is a long time. Are you still actively buying?

•••

I do not usually comment, but you are totally wrong. You have been in this business for 17 years? There are record sales being made monthly, many go unreported. Please post the domains, that are not selling, and that will quickly tell the tale of what the exact issue is.

Either you have sold your good names, to early, and to cheap, or you have not stayed on trend with the market. Your portfolio would not be an exact indication of the overall marketplace as a whole.

Last edited:
•••
SHHHHH Dave! You'll upset all the denialists and the '.com is king' lot if you keep on like that. Keep your thought to yourself on this one huh?

•••
SHHHHH Dave! You'll upset all the denialists and the '.com is king' lot if you keep on like that. Keep your thought to yourself on this one huh?

.COM is King.

Anyone who doesn't think so needs their head examined.
No other tld sells more domains every week then .com

In your sig I see 11 .com's and only 4 other tlds.
I guess you really think its King to :|

How many .com sales do you see on these list?
I see a ton compared to any other tld.
http://dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm
http://dnjournal.com/ytd-sales-charts.htm
http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2012/2012-top-100-sales-charts.htm

;)

Last edited:
•••
I'm hoping that .com increases in value as much as anyone else, and I'm also full of trepidation too, regarding where all this is going. But I'm glad this post exists because the OP's comments might just be true. Plus I don't care how many .com's have sold compared to other tld's 'recently'. If I was a business looking for a specific name for my company and the .com was out of my reach, I'd be holding back until the new extensions become available for sure.
My point is, one should wait a year before deciding the fate of .com, maybe two years, because ultimately, no one has a clue how this will unfold....well I don't anyway.

•••
I'm hoping that .com increases in value as much as anyone else, and I'm also full of trepidation too, regarding where all this is going. But I'm glad this post exists because the OP's comments might just be true. Plus I don't care how many .com's have sold compared to other tld's 'recently'. If I was a business looking for a specific name for my company and the .com was out of my reach, I'd be holding back until the new extensions become available for sure.
My point is, one should wait a year before deciding the fate of .com, maybe two years, because ultimately, no one has a clue how this will unfold....well I don't anyway.

Decide the fate of .com? It's always going to be #1, period. Very basic stuff. Prices will be fine too.

•••
•••
If I was a business looking for a specific name for my company and the .com was out of my reach, I'd be holding back until the new extensions become available for sure.

My feeling is that businesses are going to continue to choose .com's until there's a clear indication that other extensions are gaining acceptance. Generally speaking, I'd guess that only smaller businesses will be gambling their brand/identity on unproven extensions. Additionally, I tend to doubt that very many people will be keeping their businesses in limbo until there's a clear verdict on the new extensions. I agree that it's tough to know how things will turn out in the long run, but in the short and medium terms I don't think there's any reason for concern.

•••
I made a comment on some other blog recently, that this whole 'Paradigm Change' scenario regarding Internet of Things fits in perfectly with the new GTLD's, because it's been predicted a whole wave of new start ups will be created on the back of IOT, and as far as I'm concerned, new extensions will be the first port of call when securing a new identity, unless you've been invested in heavily enough to warrant paying 4 to 5 figures on 'the king'.
It's all conjecture of course and quote me down the line if I'm wrong, but change IS happening, so don't expect everything to stay the same.

•••
One simple fact:
.COM 112,158,370

as of 01/31/2014 20:07:32 PM UTC
Source

Frankly, I doubt the most successful of new extensions will ever be able to attain 112 millions regs.
Conclusion: .com is going to remain #1 for a very long time, unless end users flock away from .com in droves. Don't see why that should happen.

'Paradigm Change' was a popular buzzword at the time of .mobi. You know the deal on that. Or maybe you don't. You did not study History :gl:

OP: there are ups and downs in sales. Right now the domainers are excited and anxious. It's always the dot-com-is-dead nonsense we hear every time a new 'revolutionary' extension is launched :hearts:
But the end users are more down to earth, and change does not happen overnight either.

I don't know about your domains, but do they relate to time-sensitive trends perhaps ?

•••
'Paradigm Change' was a popular buzzword at the time of .mobi. You know the deal on that. Or maybe you don't. You did not study History :gl:

Personally, I wouldn't compare the .MOBI extension with the Internet of Things.

•••
Internet of Things is just a buzzword. It's not something you write to the right of the dot :)

•••
.mobi wasnt a "paradigm change" tho... neither is 10 TLD's released across 10 years.

the ability to register anything.anything is another ballgame entirely. there is zero history to go on for something like this.

•••
The end users know that new extensions are coming, well many don't seem to be much aware yet :) We still have a lot of time to liquidate or now worthless .com until they get the memo :)
Or they are just not interested. Personally I have not experienced a sharp decrease in sales but YMMV of course.
Also, I am fairly active in ccTLDs and I don't sense interest for new extensions in local markets.
Believe me, domaining is still full of opportunities but don't let the TLD spindoctors stray you away and rob you off :hi:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back