IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

xman

Domain Hack KingVIP Member
Impact
Here's my question..what is the value of domain hack? I've seen some good domain hack and i was wondering about the value of it. I myself own one and i'm not sure whether or not i should get more. I haven't seen any sale of domain hack. Why do we register domain hack? Is it because the domain looks cool or because there's a potential end user who's willing to buy such domain?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes please explain. I'm sure we're all curious how this was possible.

I won't try to answer on behalf of Kevin, but if you're looking to reg an .et domain you need to do two things:

1. Get your brain checked

2. Go to ethiotelecom.et, and navigate their site from there.

There is a 'hidden' page on the site, which is located here:
http://www.ethiotelecom.et/downloads/domainnameregistration-form.pdf

I guess if you managed to find an email address for them (good luck with that!) then emailing that completed form back to them will be your best, 'unofficial', way of trying to snag an .et name.

As Kevin has, rightly, said... .et names are not now publicly registrable, but why on earth would you want one anyway?!

Ethiopia is a severely poverty stricken African country, and they don't have laws relating to much, let alone IP! Your .et name then, can, and probably will, be snatched from you at any given time and no explanation will be given and you will not be compensated.

Case in point, the domain ri.ng was stolen from me by the Nigerian domain authorities back in April. They said I could keep the domain if I paid them around a hundred times what I had already paid (reg fee).

This worked out at around US$9000 for the name, and I believe you will find that many countries in Africa have 'retroactive' pricing, after registration, or indeed you will encounter what they charmingly refer to as 'super special prices for foreigners', lol.

Kev's "n.et" hack should be worth a million... easily. But because it's Ethiopia, I say you can reduce the price by a thousand times or more; I wish him all the very best with his Flippa sale.

Cheers

•••
Any ideas for me on developing gu.ms?

I think it probably has to be either a gum/dental health site,
or else a site that sells chewing gum, but you may have
another idea?

Cheers,

•••
Could anyone pls appraise any or all of the following:

CAMCORDE.RS
GP.RS
OA.RS
CHAI.RS
SPEAKE.RS
POTENTI.AL

Thanks, bulkdomainz.

Hi Bulk, oa.rs, chai.rs and speake.rs are all excellent 'hacks'. It is practically impossible to accurately appraise any domain, let alone a 'hack', but i'd be thinking about US$3,000 and up for chai.rs and speake.rs and quite a bit more for oa.rs.

Good luck,

•••
Hi,

what`s about

MERCHANDI.SE ... Should I merchandise it ...

•••
Hi,

what`s about

MERCHANDI.SE ... Should I merchandise it ...

I don't think it's a very good 'hack'. Some may disagree with that, but for me the name is:

a) Too long
b) A somewhat 'awkward' word that is seldom used these days, and I don't see anyone wanting to build a site on it

Good luck with it anyway..

•••
I have a domain hack.
Domain: Trust.ee
English: Trust、Trustee
Details: This is a rare domain hack,the prefix is an English word, prefix plus suffix is also an English word,And is a popular vocabulary.

•••
I have a domain hack.
Domain: Trust.ee
English: Trust、Trustee
Details: This is a rare domain hack,the prefix is an English word, prefix plus suffix is also an English word,And is a popular vocabulary.

I agree with two of your three points, however 'trustee' is an archaic English word and is seldom used by people these days; the applications for this name, therefore, are very slim.

Good luck with it...

•••
Any value in setups?

It used to be registered to 101domain. They were going to use it as a link to some sort of setup page on their site, but then suddenly it was available. I'm using it for one of my own projects, but I'm just curious.

•••
Trying Flippa again after some meh success with my previous domain hack auctions... Got some real beauties again starting out at $1 (6 hacks in total), let's see for the current reseller value ;)...

•••
Any value in setups?

It used to be registered to 101domain. They were going to use it as a link to some sort of setup page on their site, but then suddenly it was available. I'm using it for one of my own projects, but I'm just curious.

An awkward word, with little commercial appeal, and i'm not entirely sure what its use or uses could be... Aside from the word/phrase, however, you have to consider the TLD, and this TLD is for Palestine...

Would YOU want to be beholden to the whims of a Palestinian governmental authority when operating YOUR internet biz?!

•••
Plural kills the name, besides .ps domains cannot be resold. Always do research before.

•••
i did come across .......erro.rs only yesterday

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

Bringing hacks to the next level ;)

doll ar com

guit ar com

Had some luck in selling a few third-level hacks like vir us com.

i like guit.ar

•••
i like guit.ar

Yes that'd be a great hack but I don't like those 3rd level hacks...

@.tv - How much were you able to sell vir us com for?

•••
•••
Trying Flippa again after some meh success with my previous domain hack auctions... Got some real beauties again starting out at $1 (6 hacks in total), let's see for the current reseller value ;)...

Good luck with the auction Toni, some great 'hacks' you
have there!

•••

It"s the worlds most popular intrument .....many would love it

•••
GoldPric.es

This is a good example of a 'hack' not to get....

For me, the plural diminishes the value of the (promotable) reference anyway, but it's also important to remember that the price of Gold is published FOR FREE absolutely everywhere; on news sites, trading and financial sites, business sites, 'daily' sites and so on...

And so, developing a hack like this would be pointless in my opinion...

Could you try to sell Gold on the site? Maybe, but the site name is hardly in 'sync' with that idea and there is no money to be made from trying to sell 'gold price' info.

Last edited:
•••
Good luck with the auction Toni, some great 'hacks' you
have there!

Thanks Jenna, hoping for some last minute bids, the auctions are going slow so far..

•••
Thanks Jenna, hoping for some last minute bids, the auctions are going slow so far..

Toni, did you put a $100 dollar reserve on the ciga.rs/fu.rs auction then?!

If so, this is a ridiculously low amount to sell for... On its own, fu.rs should be selling for at least $2,000, and much much more to an end user. Ciga.rs is also an excellent name, which, to an end user, is worth some decent money (think about "marketing"!).

I was offered mid five figures for ri.sk last year, and turned it down and I would never sell the kind of hacks that you have for pennies like that.

It looks like, as a venue, Flippa is even worse than Ebay. lol.

Good luck with your auctions, I hope you get some good money in the end! :)

Last edited:
•••
Toni, did you put a $100 dollar reserve on the ciga.rs/fu.rs auction then?!

If so, this is a ridiculously low amount to sell for... On its own, fu.rs should be selling for at least $2,000, and much much more to an end user. Ciga.rs is also an excellent name, which, to an end user, is worth some decent money (think about "marketing"!).

I was offered mid five figures for ri.sk last year, and turned it down and I would never sell the kind of hacks that you have for pennies like that.

It looks like, as a venue, Flippa is even worse than Ebay. lol.

Good luck with your auctions, I hope you get some good money in the end! :)

Thanks Jenna - yes I lowered my reserve because I want the domains to sell - whatever I get for them I am ok with it (not saying happy lol), I am planning to move into a different kind of biz outside domaining and want to clean up because it is distracting me tbh, for sure those enduser prices are possible and I have sold plenty hacks for that and more but the right offer might never come and having some potentially valuable domains somewhere is just not for me anymore, I am sure whoever picks them up now will make good monies with them in the future if he has the patience - wouldn't be the first time I see a name I sold for xxx resell for xxxx-xxxxx lol, mind you, for every hack I sold for a great price i probably dropped or resold to resellers 10-15 hacks, I had a very good run with hacks and made some good $$s and just want to keep a handful of domains I am planning to develop in the future. I would never turn down mid 5 figures for ri.sk tho, that's crazy IMO, I had once turned down $10k for a hack and was kicking myself in the gut for months, but luckily another buyer was ready to pay the exact same amount lol - had a 2nd chance :)...

•••
I would never turn down mid 5 figures for ri.sk tho, that's crazy IMO, I had once turned down $10k for a hack and was kicking myself in the gut for months, but luckily another buyer was ready to pay the exact same amount lol - had a 2nd chance :)...

Yep, it's a buyers or sellers market, depending on how you view the names that you have. I'm not a seller, but do enjoy looking in on this thread from time to time, and seeing what folks are talking about.

My prediction for this year is that Rick Schwartz will become a big domain hack fan, and will decry '.com' in favour of hacks... Hehe ;)

•••
Y
My prediction for this year is that Rick Schwartz will become a big domain hack fan, and will decry '.com' in favour of hacks... Hehe ;)

lol, let's see..

•••
A few weeks ago I found Pho.ne unregistered but passed on it because of its high regfee ($350, btw it's no longer available). Did anyone of you take it?

•••

I sold it for $750

•••
A few weeks ago I found Pho.ne unregistered but passed on it because of its high regfee ($350, btw it's no longer available). Did anyone of you take it?

$350p.a. is cheap compared to most African registries...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back