IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

xman

Domain Hack KingVIP Member
Impact
Here's my question..what is the value of domain hack? I've seen some good domain hack and i was wondering about the value of it. I myself own one and i'm not sure whether or not i should get more. I haven't seen any sale of domain hack. Why do we register domain hack? Is it because the domain looks cool or because there's a potential end user who's willing to buy such domain?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
how much would you guys rate longer hacks like e.g. domainnam.es or brandnam.es? Do these sell? Are they worth getting, for a great term?
The examples you provided (top keywords) do sell but usually no more than low 4 figures. I remember domainna.me selling here for something like $1,000 back when .me launched.

Some popular services also use 2-word hacks (e.g. linktr.ee buymeacoff.ee etc.).

•••
I see:

NAM.ES

and

JE.WS

is in the ROTD auction! ( https://rotd.hibid.com/ )

Disclaimer: I have no connection with these domain names or the owners of these domains at all or in any way.

Last edited:
•••
•••
@Alexej K I looked at Nami.ng and would like to suggest a few more additions to it if you find them suitable. A few are big companies, others are small. I just happened to come across some interesting hacks while hunting for my own and certain others while looking at Wikipedia pages for CCTLDs.

mi.ne allmine.com Home Design Services
wapo.st washingtonpost.com
profa.ne profanemmo.com The game created by Insa.ne
bre.ad Yahoo
abc.xyz Used by Google for Alphabet
freig.ht freightos.com
red.green.blue bombfactory.com
slipstre.am Used by ansdor.com to promote a game called slipstream.
mechani.sm is used by mechanism.com which seems to be a startup so not sure.
microco.sm Microcosm is a modern forum platform
starfi.sh A web design company based in Philippines
thi.ng Open source building blocks for computational design. Est.2006

I remember way back I happened to register Hi.ht for no apparent reason. At that time freig.ht was available and I contemplated getting it, but sadly never did! And I was surprised to see bre.ad used by Yahoo! I love the hack red.green.blue as if you go to green.blue nothing opens, and only going to the subdomain red opens the page. I thought that was a nice touch! And I read a news article about Google acquiring abc.xyz to complete their alphabet.

Just like @DomainHacks.com mentioned about Ma.tt, I would love using a domain hack for a personal website. I wish my real name was hack-able, but at least I got the .com for my firstname. However, I'd probably attempt to get the two-letter CCTLD domain for my nickname! :xf.smile:

In a way, hacks are unique because while you can have xyz for whatever many extensions, you can only have one x.yz which makes logical sense. Leave aside cases like will.i.am and willi.am or where multiple extensions lead to the same word/phrase like physici.st and physic.ist :xf.grin:! Also, the popularity of hacks can be seen from the way a lot of pricing is driven by the organizations listing certain CCTLDs and almost all GenericTLDs in the primary market itself.

Cheers,
DomainGaze.com

•••
I see:

NAM.ES

and

JE.WS

Disclaimer: I have no connection with these domain names or the owners of these domains at all or in any way.

je.ws
has (very) expensive renewal fees. I know because I used to own it.

•••
I see:

NAM.ES

and

JE.WS

Do you have any experience with this auction platform?

5000$ reserve seems too much for me.

•••
je.ws has (very) expensive renewal fees. I know because I used to own it.

Like kno.ws is available, but it also has high registration and renewal. :unsure:
He-he even blo.ws is available if anyone wants that! It has a lesser renewal, but the name itself kind of blows. :xf.rolleyes: I could be wrong though. Names in plural are less appealing, unless it makes natural sense for the word.

Last edited:
•••
Do you have any experience with this auction platform?

5000$ reserve seems too much for me.

I remember it being for sale here for 10K.

•••
•••
Anyone else clock Bitko.in sold as a hack, seen on Namebio. Looks like thats a European spelling of Bitcoin

•••
•••
I have just hand registered the domain name

ForValour.VC

I would imagine that the majority of military historians as well as ex-servicemen and women from the British and Commonwealth armed forces will recognise the 'For Valour' as the inscription on our highest military medal award the 'Victoria Cross' referred constantly to as the 'VC'. (Some Commonwealth nations now have their own 'Victoria Cross' (notably Australia, Canada, and New Zealand)).

Perhaps not the most commercially valuable domain hack - but it is one hell of a domain hack IMO.

Last edited:
•••
but it is one hell of a domain hack IMO.
That's not a domain hack though Bald. It's not readable across the dot to form a complete keyword..

•••
That's not a domain hack though Bald. It's not readable across the dot to form a complete keyword..

WHAT!!!!!!!!!

"For Valour VC"

Oh yes it is a domain hack.

•••
Well if we're redefining domain hacks to fit nonsensical pairings, than pretty much anything is a contender, yes? I mean we could put a meaning behind any ccTLD, and then add to the keyword and voila!

Domain Hack: Characters + Extension = Real Word/Phrase

In your example, it doesn't complete the string as a clear defining term. It completes it as a subjective abbreviation. I can't think of any word that ends in "vc" really.

If there was a .ss extension, your related hack would be VictoriaCro.ss, or if there was a .ur extension, it would be ForValo.ur

But generally good hacks are one word, not phrases. Double whammy are great too, where it's a complete word pre-dot, and forms another word after the fact. Thus the hack.

•••
OMG.

Someone trying to tell 'me' what a domain hack is.

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Look at my avatar and learn.

Last edited:
•••
Well if we're redefining domain hacks to fit nonsensical pairings, than pretty much anything is a contender, yes? I mean we could put a meaning behind any ccTLD, and then add to the keyword and voila!

Domain Hack: Characters + Extension = Real Word/Phrase

In your example, it doesn't complete the string as a clear defining term. It completes it as a subjective abbreviation. I can't think of any word that ends in "vc" really.

If there was a .ss extension, your related hack would be VictoriaCro.ss, or if there was a .ur extension, it would be ForValo.ur

But generally good hacks are one word, not phrases. Double whammy are great too, where it's a complete word pre-dot, and forms another word after the fact. Thus the hack.
It's not a domain hack, but it's the hack phrase. So, names like love.me or take.it are also considered as hacks.

•••
I am for keeping the purity of true domain hacks. Else we're going to start getting any sort of excuse to pass for one, as the class act two floors up is demonstrating.

So no, "vc" any way you hack it doesn't make the cut.

It's not a domain hack, but it's the hack phrase. So, names like love.me or take.it are also considered as hacks.
Those are close to the prize indeed. Though, wonder if they are true hacks? Yes, they are awesome exact wording matches, but still I think we've strayed a bit over the years. Getting nit-picky now though.. :P

•••
Good one, mate! :ROFL:
.TV - Wow it has been a long time. You were one of the domain hack believer. I wasn't to happy with you bagging some of the domain hacks back in the days. LOL. There were so many basher back then and I think many people (the herd) didn't pay attention picking up the good ones but you and I managed to picked them up.

I sold most of my domain hacks that were more than five (5) characters long (including the extension. Now I only have the super duper premium domain hacks. LOL.

Last edited:
•••
How much would you guys value Bitco.in ?

•••
•••
How much would you guys value Bitco.in ?

bitcoin
and bitcoin, both are more valuable names and continue to increase in value as long as btc is mainstream. Both are million dollar babies to the right crypto conglomerate.

•••
bitcoin and bitcoin, both are more valuable names and continue to increase in value as long as btc is mainstream. Both are million dollar babies to the right crypto conglomerate.
Agree with you. Not my name but I have similars so was wondering. I think for the right company, this type of name is 6 figure potential...

•••
what about ibitco.in or ebitco.in ? and litco.in what do you think guys?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back