Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

xman

Domain Hack KingVIP Member
Impact
Here's my question..what is the value of domain hack? I've seen some good domain hack and i was wondering about the value of it. I myself own one and i'm not sure whether or not i should get more. I haven't seen any sale of domain hack. Why do we register domain hack? Is it because the domain looks cool or because there's a potential end user who's willing to buy such domain?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
brindle123 said:
I sold Foru.ms for $7000

Congrats on the nice sale.Mind sharing where did you sell this name?

Sedo? Afternic? or direct to buyer? buyer contact you?

Thank you.

•••
Hyaz,

Are these considered name hacks?

L4SVEG4S.COM
LA5VEGA5.COM

Thanx

•••
If you would have bothered reading the thread at all.. You would understand what you have is not a name hack. Name hacks use a cctld or extension to create the word. What you have is 14$ registration burned.

namenut said:
Hyaz,

L4SVEG4S.COM
LA5VEGA5.COM

Thanx

•••
namenut said:
Hyaz,

L4SVEG4S.COM
LA5VEGA5.COM

Thanx
not hacks, but recognized as related category: "leet domains"

the 2 examples you listed are decent and might be worth a modest sum to someone ...

•••
.jd. said:
If you would have bothered reading the thread at all.. You would understand what you have is not a name hack. Name hacks use a cctld or extension to create the word. What you have is 14$ registration burned.

The first few posts were on biz-2.biz. So it did not seem unreasonable to ask.

xman said:
biz-2.biz
:-/

scandiman said:
it's hackish, but the hyphen is killing it for me.
:|

If I could read every thread and every post on namepros I would:
A) Be an expert domainer and not need to ask any questions
B) Be spending too much time here

I have never bothered with name "hacks" and am not versed at all in the description. I do not want to be a name hack domainer .... I just happen to have these (My home town) and thought I would ask. :|

My apologies for having offended you, and any other members, with my question. Perhaps I asked a question other members wanted to ask but feared getting berated for asking .....

After going back and reading most of the thread it is more clear to me now. That the extension is included in the overal construction of a name "hack". And if a fellow NPs members asks me, about name hacks, I will answer them with that explanation rather than the retort you gave me.

>:(

filter said:
not hacks, but recognized as related category: "leet domains"

the 2 examples you listed are decent and might be worth a modest sum to someone ...

Very cool ..... I like em too :wave:

•••
Another sale of domain hack

Languag.es - $1,353 - 4/13/08 - Sedo

•••
xman said:
Another sale of domain hack

Languag.es - $1,353 - 4/13/08 - Sedo

Nice! Was that your one Xman?

•••
Nice sale.

I have Foreclosur.es

May be I should put it up for sale at sedo.

•••
htmlindex said:
Nice! Was that your one Xman?
Not mine.

I used to just regged only 2 to 3 letter and I didn't think there were any value anything longer than 4 letter. I was dead wrong. Now, after seeing some hack sales with more than 4 letter in them I realized they have good values too.

•••
namenut said:
L4SVEG4S.COM
LA5VEGA5.COM
I like these 'leet names, perhaps my old school geek background hehe.
Have a few Im keeping for now: v1s1on dict8or cyph3r
One developed http://SIGH7INGS.COM

Recently regged iStat.us
works both with or without the hack.

•••
del... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
•••
I have reported in another thread about the latest news on my domain hack 'JesusChri.st' but thought the news might encourage a few here. The latest Alexa weekly rankings for JesusChri.st is...............423,786 !

This just goes to show that word recognition of a domain hack can and is worth it. Here is a comparative list for some other Alexa weekly rankings for similar non-hacked domain names:

Domain............Alexa Weekly rank............Alexa 3 monthly rank

Bible.com..................22,405..........................21,533
God.com.................186,640.........................219,194
Jesus.com...............378,505.........................302,922
JesusChri.st.............423,786......................4,542,340
JesusChrist.com........821,382........................661,559
Christ.com...............837,888........................738,774

All the above are developed websites, so comparrisson is legitimate, but remember JesusChri.st has only been up 3 weeks. I hope this will finally prove that domain hacks can and do have value.

•••
Do not trust DotMaroc.ma for registering your .ma domain hacks!

I lost two valuable geo domain hacks with them. They simply issued a refund and registered the names for themselves!

From: Ste DotMaroc.Ma S.A.R.L. Aide et Support technique <[email protected]>
Subject: [Ticket ID: 90XXXX] Both domains are allready pending
To: <my email address>

Hello,

Both of your requested domains are already pending for another customer for over 3 weeks now.

Would you like a refund or to chose another domain?

Cordialement,

Sté DotMaroc.Ma S.A.R.L.
Hebergement - Hebergeur Internet
site web: www.dotmaroc.com

•••
TheBaldOne, I've been keeping my eye on your hack and it is very impressive to have JesusChri.st to be in that rank for short period of time. Nice work.

•••
Thanks Xman.

This is getting embarrasing though, I have just checked Alexa again and they have now given the weekly rank up to May 10th, it now stands at 377,387.

•••
LOL

That's a good one TheBaldOne. You really did a great job with your domain.

I acquired 4 more short hacks to put in my collection.

•••
TheBaldOne said:
Thanks Xman.

This is getting embarrasing though, I have just checked Alexa again and they have now given the weekly rank up to May 10th, it now stands at 377,387.

What are you doing to promote it (other than posting here)? Obviously there is something more to this if you surpassed the non-hacked domain jesuschrist.com which has been online for over a decade...

•••
namenut said:
Hyaz,

L4SVEG4S.COM
LA5VEGA5.COM

Thanx

L45V3G45.com (available at time of posting ;))

You should get this to be truly L337! Plus it has more results than both your present names! :lala: :D

•••
Xman, LOL!

Scabies, I have last week 'paid' for a few keywords on two new sites advertised on DNF, as well as posting there. It seems mainly to be viral, I have had several emails now thanking me for the site and hoping I get the Old Testament up soon as well as the forum. Generally it seems to have hit an open niche in the market and people are referring other people to it.

I have a very small advertising campaign that will run to the end of this month, but that is only bringing in about 20 visitors a day. Now whether people are not clicking on those adds but visiting later I cannot say. If that is the case then it proves 'name recognition' is occuring, but that would just be a guess at best at this stage, and although I would hope that is what is happening it surely cannot be happening this much!

I do know from the emails I have received people appreciate the site, if I knew exactly what was going on I would copy it with my other domains. I do think it is the power of the domain name and the design and content that is really the key though.

Let us see how the next couple of weeks go. I would say one thing though, it doesn't matter if a site has been up 10 years, if a better site comes along people will obviously migrate to it.

Update 05/15/08

It is only right that I announce that todays updated Alexa weekly rank for the week ending May 11th has dropped to 405,205.

Although a drop of 30,000 I am hoping (of course) it is an anomally, but we shall wait and see.

Last edited:
•••

Last edited:
•••
brianlai said:
Here is a post I found on another domain name discussion site
http://www.DNF/f4/foru-ms-worth-more-than-2000-a-2-thread-179328.html

People are not having positive comment on Domain Hack back in 2006, but what is now? I believe this 2 year there are so many new ccTLD coming out makes people have more choice to have this chance to get a Domain Hack. If it is a dead end, how come I saw many people rushing to register domain hack? (Some good name, ma.tt jo.hn etc..) are all registered with a very high annual fee. I really think at least this kind of domain hack is far better than meaningless IDN.

How come people are rushing to buy them? I don't know, apparently some people like them. I personally can't stand them, I couldn't ever see a scenario where i'd want to brand a domain hack or build a business around one. It's been done successfully but it's a hack, just like the name implies. The only time i'd ever consider one would be for keyword power to monetize it like was done with jesuschri.st .

Is it d.elicio.us or de.licio.us or del.icio.us or deli.cio.us or delic.io.us ? They've done ok for themselves, but they still have this huge problem. It's taken me several tries to pull that site up before.

•••

Last edited:
•••
Guys, what do you think about one from my signature? It is balanced (two letters on each side of the dot), so there is no confusion about this one. The term might not be so popular these days, but I guess 80M google results, 8000 monthly searches (per Trellian) and potential commercial use (mobile telephony) indicate some value here. I would like to hear you opinions.

•••
Andrejc, it is a good one, have you tried either developing it with info about what GPRS is and put Adsense adverts on?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back