Dynadot

UTube.com sues YouTube.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I find it funny how some posters write as if they actually personally know stuff about the situation....

I also like how the simple domainer just says... "well put on adsense" dut der der

Believe it or not people, some websites are used to just promote business and not pimpin' for that dollar per click nickel and dime stuff. There is a thing called class and some companies want a respectable image. See, when you are a certain size, you actually want a professional looking site if you have an actual service or product that you sell.

Now, let's try a little excersize.. first, say "utube" out loud and remember how it sounds. Next, say "youtube" out loud. Now is the hard question, ready?? do they sound alike???? If the answer is yes, it means you are a normal reasonable person. If the answer is no, then you have serious issues, probably both physical and mental.

This next part is only for the people who answered "yes" to the above question. Since you realize they sound the same, can you understand how the normal reasonable person might mistake utube.com for youtube.com in the age of fonetic spelling (yes, done inteshionally). And since youtube's confusion IS interferring with business of the utube.com website, then there is a problem that needs to be addressed.

One thing I don't understand and I can't seem to find, when was utube.com up for sale??? Is this an assumption or fact? Did youtube offer to buy utube.com and utube set a price if youtube wanted it so bad? From what I can tell, utube.com was never for sale.

Ok, waiting for the witty response flames...

BTW- Bear in mind the first thing Labrocca said "I can only agree with DNQ here"... If that don't tell you something lol

•••
This is very simple to crack.

UTube.com offered to sell their domain to Google for either 4 million or 7.5 million. I've heard both sums. Whatever the number may be, Google only gave a 2 million offer or so, and refused to offer more.

This is simple, UTube.com files a court case which wants YouTube.com to be shut down or moved to a new domain (which would cost the company many more millions/billions in lost users).

Google will buy UTube.com if this gets to court for the asking price of 7.5 million or so. That's all it is. It is UTube.com wanting to sell it for their asking price, nothing less, nothing more.

•••
when google started gmail, the UK holders of the TM tried to shake down google for the rights, google said bugger off and that is why UK users of gmail have a googlemail address. The same thing will happen with utube (ie bugger off) unless they reasonably settle. There is always a risk that a similalrly sounding domain name might become wildly successful and cause problems for the other website, but are they culpable. Answer No. See you in court.

•••
But the question is, did Universal offer to sell after it was contacted? There is a difference between a domain for sale and an active site that was solicited for a possible purchase and the owner giving a price to sell. Utube.com has had a website up for their business for 10 years now and utube.com is their hub for thier email communication. So it isn't like it was sitting there with nothing going on.

To put it into perspective, I will never sell my car.. It is a 1995 TA ragtop w/ a LT1 corvette engine, low miles in mint condition (all true btw). Now, if someone says, much would you sell it for.. I say $20,000.... they say "we will but it".. Then I get a new car. Utube.com had no interest in selling the domain, but since they are a business, they do what is best for their business (not anyone elses). Since they decided that Googles response wasn't good enough, they are doing what they feel is right to protect "their" business. So they may have put a price tag on the domain, but it does not mean they really wanted to sell it.

As I mentined before, if this goies to court, it will be some good reading and could change the domain game (either for the good or bad depending on the side you're on)

•••
yoshiwara said:
when google started gmail, the UK holders of the TM tried to shake down google for the rights, google said bugger off and that is why UK users of gmail have a googlemail address. The same thing will happen with utube (ie bugger off) unless they reasonably settle. There is always a risk that a similalrly sounding domain name might become wildly successful and cause problems for the other website, but are they culpable. Answer No. See you in court.

Ahh..you see here though...utube was first. And it's doubtful that youtube will change their name INTERNATIONALLY...which they would have to do if they lose this battle. That's a gazillion links that will suddenly stop working on millions of sites. Youtube can't afford to change their name and lose the domain. And they ARE culpable...that's the whole point. I don't start a domain business with googler.com and if I get successful try to say it's not my fault. A business was started with a confusingly similar sounding name as utube.com.

Also in a court...a jury is unpredictable. Youtube may not want to take that chance. This is why it should get settled. At least we all agree that if it does go to court it will be awesome to follow.

•••
its all about the money, ( common sense)

•••
GAMEFINEST said:
its all about the money, ( common sense)

If only common sense could be purchased...

•••
they are only suing because google now owns them... THis is the most pathetic thing that i really have heard of.

•••
slipxaway said:
If only common sense could be purchased...
Not everyone could still afford it :)

•••
templaterave said:
THis is the most pathetic thing that i really have heard of.

Why?? Please explain...

•••
at utube.com they have news reguarding their battle with google i think if youtube audience was more into construction and manafacturing lol utube wouldnt be complaining its just that youtubers are very unlikely to buy manafaturing equipment lol

•••
look at their website, its new they did not have this before, do a search. Look at the pics next to ads, they are def. capitalizing on this traffic. Very webcamish images wouldnt you say.

•••
DropLister said:
look at their website, its new they did not have this before, do a search.
Looks like they've been contacted by www.searchfeed.com and made a deal with them, at least it's their PPC search results they're displaying... :]

•••
Redleg said:
Looks like they've been contacted by www.searchfeed.com and made a deal with them, at least it's their PPC search results they're displaying... :]

Yeah, that section at the top is new. Good to see them making money off the traffic, but I don't think it will help their case any to now show youtube type advertising.

•••
Wouldn't changing your site and clearly exploiting the typos for monetary gain make utube now look less sympathetic in court...especially if it indicates they are technically able to manage the hit load...and even more if they are making a sack of cash every second of every day.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, it does seem like they decided to capitalize on the traffic, and that's a real shame. They lowered themselves, but I can understand why. When hosting goes from $100 per month to well over $1000 per month, I guess they should recoup it somehow. Personally, I would hve fought this battle and maintain my integrity. They are a large machining company, not an internet portal. But I guess they felt it was better to do this than go against a bully.

BTW- utube has been an active site for over a decade and the domain is the major hub of thier communications.

•••
Its almost (but not quite) a re-run of the adsense.com site. It had been around since about 1997, happily doing business, than google starts using "adsense" for one of their products. Causes "havoc"...... but Google now owns the domain, from around June this year. Have no idea what they paid for it, but I would suspect it wouldn't have come "cheap"

•••
omnia said:
Its almost (but not quite) a re-run of the adsense.com site. It had been around since about 1997, happily doing business, than google starts using "adsense" for one of their products. Causes "havoc"...... but Google now owns the domain, from around June this year. Have no idea what they paid for it, but I would suspect it wouldn't have come "cheap"

I imagine Google got Adsense fairly cheap, considering the old owners sold it in a private sale to a 3rd party... A 3rd party who had no rights to the TM... Who really knows what happened, but my guess is Google leaned on them hard with lawyers and they sold it to Google for the price they bought it for.

•••
My plan of action if i owned utube.com?

Put about 100 pop up scripts on the thing, adbrite, bidvertiser, ypn, adsense. I would find it hard to believe that they wouldnt make 100k in about 3 months.

•••
slipxaway said:
I imagine Google got Adsense fairly cheap, considering the old owners sold it in a private sale to a 3rd party... A 3rd party who had no rights to the TM... Who really knows what happened, but my guess is Google leaned on them hard with lawyers and they sold it to Google for the price they bought it for.

Didnt realise it had moved to a 3rd party in between, actually had only just noticed it went straight to google when i accidently typed the name into the browser and realised it had "changed hands"

•••
Could you cite your sources for this information? I.e. post a link to where this is shown to be a fact?

cfguru360 said:
This is very simple to crack.

UTube.com offered to sell their domain to Google for either 4 million or 7.5 million. I've heard both sums. Whatever the number may be, Google only gave a 2 million offer or so, and refused to offer more.

This is simple, UTube.com files a court case which wants YouTube.com to be shut down or moved to a new domain (which would cost the company many more millions/billions in lost users).

Google will buy UTube.com if this gets to court for the asking price of 7.5 million or so. That's all it is. It is UTube.com wanting to sell it for their asking price, nothing less, nothing more.

•••
Utube should now open itself for sale to google. they might get atleast 20% of what Youtube got.

•••
Isaac1 said:
What a moron. Park it, or put some AdSense on the website.

Yeah, sounds like an idea...there is just a small problem, one client for uTube (Universal Tube) probably spends millions on them, and doubt adsense would bring him that much money.

Universal Tube is a industry, not a website...actually, if the president was a little smarter and instead of getting himself in troubles (suing youtube/google) to build his site into a stronger server that would be able to get the hits, maybe from the billions of hits he would get a hit from a billionaire that is interested in their service and get his server costs paid for the next 10 years.

Anyway, i appreciate the joke about "cut off your site and place google adsense" ;)

•••
TheLaw said:
Universal Tube is a industry, not a website...actually, if the president was a little smarter and instead of getting himself in troubles (suing youtube/google) to build his site into a stronger server that would be able to get the hits, maybe from the billions of hits he would get a hit from a billionaire that is interested in their service and get his server costs paid for the next 10 years.

Anyway, i appreciate the joke about "cut off your site and place google adsense" ;)

Why spend tons of money upgrading servers on the off chance that one of the millions of morons looking for videos of lip-synching kids might have money, when you could spend that money on targeted advertising and marketing and bring in serious customers?

•••
Would first consider that those users are people before insulting them or calling them morons (one of your dearest might be surfing on youtube on his/her free time).

My post was just a reply to that sarcastic joke (at least i hope it was a sarcastic joke). Apart that, why should i blame YouTube for getting loads of traffic? Is there any link on youtube.com to utube.com ? Now what else should we hear... YouTube.com sues uTube.com for stealing him traffic, because people type utube instead of youtube ?

What i do see here is, making some noise (referring to the utube president) to grab a part of the revenue of youtube...I just hope google will give him few penny's to stay quiet, because if they go on court on my opinion...that president will lose time and money.

Just my point of view.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back