IT.COM

question Using Buy or Sell in domain name?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
This is something which has always confused me. If I'm selling domains. Should I use Buy or Sell in the domain name. For example. If I'm selling domain names, the website is about selling domain names, and so it comes naturally to me to think of Sell or Selling domains. But then one of the biggest domain sellers in the world uses BUYDOMAINS.COM. Which feels unnatural to me. Please discuss.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Buy Domains is a
“call to action” you buy — not they are selling,
“alphabetical order B before D
(Prefer Alphabetic order for compound word)

Last edited:
•••
Buy Domains is a
“call to action” you buy — not they are selling,
“alphabetical order B before D
(Prefer Alphabetic order for compound word)

So would you say BuyDomains.com is a better domain than SellDomains.com for selling domains? Or are there other factors in play here, besides "call to action"?

•••
So would you say BuyDomains.com is a better domain than SellDomains.com for selling domains? Or are there other factors in play here, besides "call to action"?

It makes serif you think about it. From the point of view of your customer they don't want to sell domains they want to buy them.

•••
SellDomains seems like a call to action inviting sellers to sell their domains through the SellDomains website. I agree with @Samer's thought as well

•••
SellDomains seems like a call to action inviting sellers to sell their domains through the SellDomains website. I agree with @Samer's thought as well

That's what I think too. But if that's the case wouldn't that attract buyers too? Just like to the call to action of BuyDomains.com? Which would be the stronger motivator for buyers? Or are they equal?

Last edited:
•••
That's what I think too. But if that's the case wouldn't that attract buyers too? Just like to the call to action of BuyDomains.com? Which would be the stronger motivator for buyers? Or are they equal?

I think of SellDomains as a domain for a platform that provides seller side services (like efty or DomainMarketPro etc). Not quite the ideal domain for targeting to buyers/endusers

•••
I think of SellDomains as a domain for a platform that provides seller side services (like efty or DomainMarketPro etc). Not quite the ideal domain for targeting to buyers/endusers

OK. So "Buy" is a better motivator than "Sell" for Buyers? That is what you are saying. Correct? It just seems an anathema to me since the website would be Selling Domains. But that was what I was suspecting with my question. Anybody else have any opinions about this?

Last edited:
•••
OK. So "Buy" is a better motivator than "Sell" for Buyers? That is what you are saying. Correct? It just seems an anathema to me since the website would be Selling Domains. But that was what I was suspecting with my question. Anybody else have any opinions about this?

Yes, that is my opinion. It might seem opposite but think of it like this - if you were a random internet user/entrepreneur who wants to acquire a domain for some project, what will you search for -

How to or where to buy domains vs sell domains or where to sell domains?
And what sentiment/feeling will each of the names - SellDomains / BuyDomains evoke in you?

BuySellDomains.com?

•••
Yes, that is my opinion. It might seem opposite but think of it like this - if you were a random internet user/entrepreneur who wants to acquire a domain for some project, what will you search for -

How to or where to buy domains vs sell domains or where to sell domains?
And what sentiment/feeling will each of the names - SellDomains / BuyDomains evoke in you?

BuySellDomains.com?

Ha Ha. I already had both the "Buy" & "Sell" Domains. And not 30 minutes ago I added the "BuySell" Domain. The whole point of this post was because I couldn't figure out which domain to develop and which domain to forward. But unless I hear anything to the contrary, I'll be developing the "Buy" and forwarding the "Sell" and "BuySell" Domains. Thank you, @Samer and @anantj :)

•••
If the main goal is to sell domains to end users, then the users can only do (and search for) the opposite - buying them.

So I agree with the points above. Using "Buy" (and forwarding the other variants) seems to be the logical choice.

•••
I agree with @Samer and others that you should take the viewpoint of the potential customers, and they are buying domain names.

As mentioned sell works if your clients are domainers selling domain names.

In these days of increasing lease and rent options, I might stick away from either buy or sell in the name, though, to not box in the future. Also a marketplace needs to cater to both buyers and sellers.

Bob

•••
I like the buy term but another route is name or domain with shop or alike synonym or adjective. some sound too generic to me like buydomains or domainmarket but those are great keyword names with their own perks. I like nametree, supernames, brandboutique went on namesilo not long ago would be a good one, perfectdomain, embrand, nameology..if you can get the message across with a less pricey brandable it's the way to go. Yes a keyword centric name would be ideal but I think if you have decent inventory to drive the traffic you won't have to do much advertising other than point your landers.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back