Dynadot

discuss Use .NET or .TOP ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Would Chinese companies prefer to use .NET or .TOP for their websites if the .COM and .CN were not available ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Absolutely .NET
even .CC is much better than .TOP currently
.TOP has enormous registration, but it lacks commercial use

•••
This question was aimed at the Chinese market ,what would a Chinese choose ,NET or TOP
I suppose you have to think like a chinese or be one to answer this question .

Last edited:
•••
if .com and .cn are not available they would use .com.cn. If .com.cn is not available they would use .net. If that was not available they might use .cc or .org.

If that was not available they might use other extensions.. maybe one of them .top if you get lucky.

.top is like .xyz in the western world. A lot of regs, a lot of hype but little sales and sites.

Last edited:
•••
why do you think i mentioned .CC, coz it's popular in China.
I would mention .CO if talking US market

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
Chinese have been even regging .net with the .com available for years... i don't know why...but they like .net..
If you get a dropped domain with the .net taken.. i bet it's a Chinese site the majority of the time.

•••
•••
•••
Definitely .net at this time.

Thanks,
Brandon

•••
•••
Absolutely .NET
even .CC is much better than .TOP currently
.TOP has enormous registration, but it lacks commercial use
Depends on company, if it's a tech company they'll prefer .io if .com isn't available, however if isn't a tech company .net mostly wins, then .cc and .co. (IMO)

•••
•••
If you'd ask .net or .co, I think it will be an (aftermarket) price question.

.co has really re-branded itself. Since giants like Google, Amazon and Twitter have muscled behind it for their shortcut URLs, it has gained a lot of credibility and most people think .co stands for "company" and not "Colombia" as is the case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-letter_second-level_domain#Active_single-letter_domains

Thanks,
Brandon
i still think that .co is colombia or colorado :)

.co - ccTLD

•••
•••
why can't you list .top on Godaddy auctions never been able to understand this.

•••
Chinese have been even regging .net with the .com available for years... i don't know why...but they like .net..
If you get a dropped domain with the .net taken.. i bet it's a Chinese site the majority of the time.
Not only Chinese. Japanese also like .net.

•••
We are comparing domains here...
Large companies always go with .com
Local companies also love .ca .cn .de .uk ......
Western start-ups prefer .co
Chinese small websites may use .cc
So many websites around the world use .net
Even for a tech start-up company I personally prefer .co more then .io
Very large registration for .xyz and .top, but very little use.

•••
For websites, I would say .net comes first before .top. For me, it's just like choosing a veteran versus a neophyte.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back