IT.COM

URGENT: Please help save my cousin's life

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

armstrong

Man from ManilaVIP Member
Impact
My cousin Christine in the US is battling cancer, and urgently needs to find a bone marrow donor. Unfortunately, finding a perfect match for her bone marrow type is particularly difficult. This is hard enough for the average person; there are over 20,000 types of bone marrow, so the average person has a 1 in 20,000 chance of finding a match. These numbers are even worse for Christine. Because she is Filipino, she needs to find a donor of the same ethnic background, and there are hardly any Filipinos on the US National Registry.

Right now is our best chance of having the Bone Marrow Transplant work. Each day's delay decreases her chances of surviving. Please contact your Filipino friends or relatives in the US, and ask them to contact their friends. Anyone you know who is all or part Filipino and between the ages of 18 and 61 is a potential donor. The system is nationwide, so it doesn't matter where they live. Signing up on the registry is easy and painless. All it requires is a simple blood test. Some hospitals charge a small fee for this blood test, however the fee is routinely waived for minorities, and often for Caucasians as well, especially if you are willing to donate a pint of blood.

You can find a registration center by selecting your state on the map on this website. These centers can refer you to bone marrow drives in your community.

http://www.marrow.org/cgi-bin/NETWORK/map.pl?ctr_typ=DC

There is also a wonderful organization in Los Angeles that arranges free registration for Filipino donors.

www.asianmarrow.org

If you have trouble finding a site in your area, have any trouble finding a place to donate for free, or have additional questions, you can reach Christine's boyfriend Jacob at this email address:

info [at] christine.site.ph

You can reassure your friends that signing up for the registry does not require donating any bone marrow. If it turns out they are a match, they will be contacted, and can make the decision at that point about becoming a donor.

There are lots of misconceptions about donating bone marrow. The procedure is considered minor, simple and safe. You will be anesthetized the whole time, so you will not feel anything. When the procedure is over, you may have some soreness in the area for a day or two and you may feel a little tired. That's it. The bone marrowyou donate is replenished within 3-4 weeks. And again, you will only undergo this procedure if your blood sample shows that you are a match and you decide to donate, in which case the slight soreness you'll be feeling will be saving someone's life.

All medical expenses for the donor will be covered by Christine's insurance.

You can find out more about the registry and the donation procedure at this website:

www.marrow.org

Thank you!

Apollo a.k.a. "armstrong" :hearts:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
craigslist would be another good source to tap. They have a large classified section for the bay area. And are read by lots of people.

•••
The "Save Christine" website is now online at http://christine.site.ph . I put this up to make it easier to spread the word. Some people have PM'ed me for this, so they could add links to the site, or even as a POPUP within their sites. Thanks to those who volunteered to do this. I guess this is one case where popups aren't evil :D

The namepros family is coming through for me. You guys are awesome. :tu:

•••
The website is a great idea, a landing zone and a real, tangible place to send people for information. Maybe a guestbook so people can send their love and connect even deeper with Christine. I think we have a good start on this Armstrong and by tomorrow ....well tomorrow will bring more than today.
My neices are working with their Yahoo groups getting the word out, and now have their friends calling their friends.... We will find a donor brother.

•••
Great Idea Apollo! :) And on the GuestBook .... well, I've got one I've been working on. Nothing fancy, needs some finishing touches..but if you'd like to use it you know where I am :) Currently in the process of adding links etc to my sites..and posted at a few other places...I've also started an NP$ Visitors campain to the site.

Last edited:
•••
I registered Pechera.com and pointed it to the website you’ve developed for Christine.

I also sent you a PM Apollo.

•••
slaughterbeck said:
I registered Pechera.com and pointed it to the website you’ve developed for Christine.

I also sent you a PM Apollo.
Oh yea.... slaughterbeck...great move!!!! I made christine a NP id ~Christine~ Please direct all donations to the reward fund to that id, not mine. Also set up a Yahoo! id (had to for NP verify) but it might come in handy. Sending addy and PW info.

Last edited:
•••
This is the ID to send donations for the reward fund.

<<<<<====== NP$ GO HERE

While your here, give this ID some rep as a gesture of support and faith.
Lets fill up these green boxes with love from all NPr's

Christines Yahoo ID ... send invitations to your Yahoo groups!!!
http://profiles.yahoo.com/shes2tuff4him
Yahoo! addy [email protected]

sunken said:
craigslist would be another good source to tap. They have a large classified section for the bay area. And are read by lots of people.
Great idea sunken, could you please take care of that? That would really help a lot. cyberian

Humdizzy said:
Good luck dude. I know tons of filipinos but they are all under 18. I'll try to get them to show this thread to their parents or relatives.
Good one man, email them, you call the parents, the Filipino community have very strong bonds, and will reach out if they know, but they have to know!! thanks, cyberian

cavinti said:
I am a filipino, although i dont live in the us but im in and out of the us. There are big filipino communities in LA, San Diego, Riverside and of course San Jose/SF area. I suggest contacting all the filipino news papers in the area.. and there are lots and i mean lots of them. Perhaps they will be able to help you. I also suggest standing outside of big filipino grocery stores and restaurants like seafood city, goldilocks and max just to name a few and handing out flyers and talk to the ppl. Effective way also is post them up flyers at all the filipino shops in the area. I know there are hundreds maybe thousands but what ever it takes.
cavinti, if you have reletives or friends in cali, call them and direct them to christines website please. thanks, cyberian

equity78 said:
Here are some places APollo to post her story either forums or classified community type listings these seem to have US readership hope this helps in someway.

http://www.efilipinos.com/forum/categories.cfm?catid=6 Classified froum post an ad there.

http://www.pinoyblog.com/ FILIPINO blog network

http://www.thepinoy.com/forums/portal.php large portal site with forum

I also emailed this link to Ron at DN Journal to see if he can post something somewhere on DN Journal

God Bless your cousin and you will keep looking for places that make sense to post
Equity78... you are on it man, thats what I'm talking about... people there are so many ways to help, FIND ONE!!! please, anything.. find links and post in them or send them... and I'll post in them... spam the world on this one folks... send christines url to everyone you know

Dave Zan said:
Apollo, I've numerous relatives there. I'll let them know and hopefully one of
them will be the answer to your loved ones' prayers!
Yea Dave, send them a link to the site. thanks, cyberian

gchick said:
God Bless her.....Im a filipino but im not in the US. I'll tell my friends about this. maybe they could help out. My prayers to her and her family. God is a healer so dont lose hope:)
gchick, yea please, tell your friends, ask them to tell thier friends... bottom line, the help must come from the Filipino community, thats where the donor is. thanks cyberian

Last edited:
•••
Filipino? there are MANY in hong kong. They work for us at house maids, and they hang out in the area called "Central". You may post an article or something or contact the hopitals in here.

•••
DUKE just emailed me back this story will be put in the LOWDOWN on DN Journal.com today per Dukes email

Nice Idea KIm nice job and Kenny I have a domain to donate.

•••
•••
Armstrong, I had a friend put the link for her site up on TotalFark.com, hopefully it will get some looks from that, as the site is very popular and maybe find what you need. Not sure if they will put it on the main page. I put some more info into it.

•••
armstrong said:
or even as a POPUP within their sites.
If anyone would like to add a popup to your site(s) to get the word out about Christine then pm me and I'll give you a free copy of the popup creator in my signature. There are a lot of people now with popup blockers, but these type can't be blocked.

However if you have no intentions of using it for Christine and are just wanting to get it for free, then please be generous and don't ask for it.

Hang in there and stay strong Apollo, we will find your cousin a match! :)

•••
Chris said:
If anyone would like to add a popup to your site(s) to get the word out about Christine then pm me and I'll give you a free copy of the popup creator in my signature. There are a lot of people now with popup blockers, but these type can't be blocked.

However if you have no intentions of using it for Christine and are just wanting to get it for free, then please be generous and don't ask for it.

Hang in there and stay strong Apollo, we will find your cousin a match! :)
You came at the right time Chris :) I've been searching and searching....PM sent.

•••
There is a guy who lives on my dorm hall who is not Filipino, but he and his family are missionaries there. I'm going to talk to him today and get him involved in this, and see if he can help find someone.

My cousin, who goes here to the same school I do (Covenant College) has a room mate who I think is Filipino. I'm going to contact her as well.

Also, I'm going to talk to all of the guys on my hall, and add Christine to our prayers.

Here's a resource that might be helpful:
Angel Flights provides free flights across the nation to people in need. If a Filipino is found, I'm sure they would be willing to fly him/her up here to America, and I know they would fly Christine to whatever part of the US is needed, etc...

God can work miracles. While my own bout with cancer wasn't serious, I know He played a part in it, and today I am healthy as a horse. Keep hoping, and keep praying. Please let us know how else we can help out. Hearing stories like this, I feel I want to help out in a special way, because I know how it feels to have cancer.

There is a website I developed a couple years ago: www.cancertips.org - I hope it might provde some encouragement at the very least.

Good luck,
David White

Last edited:
•••
I already have an old guestbook script that I'm used to installing and modifying. Nothing fancy, but works; I'll be installing it soon. But thanks for the offer, Eric. :)

SecondVersion said:
Great Idea Apollo! :) And on the GuestBook .... well, I've got one I've been working on. Nothing fancy, needs some finishing touches..but if you'd like to use it you know where I am :) Currently in the process of adding links etc to my sites..and posted at a few other places...I've also started an NP$ Visitors campain to the site.
I was just informed that the test to get registered into the bone marrow database is somewhat expensive - about $500 - which might keep many potential donors from getting involved. However, there is a group that sponsors free registration for Filipinos - http://www.asianmarrow.org/ - so when contacting potential donors please make sure they know this. Christine's father is trying to get more info on this, and I'll post here as soon as we know more.

•••
armstrong said:
I was just informed that the test to get registered into the bone marrow database is somewhat expensive - about $500 - which might keep many potential donors from getting involved. However, there is a group that sponsors free registration for Filipinos - http://www.asianmarrow.org/ - so when contacting potential donors please make sure they know this. Christine's father is trying to get more info on this, and I'll post here as soon as we know more.
Apollo, $500.00 wont be that hard to raise.
$10.00 from 50 mems, $5.00 from 100, $1.00 from 500... I'll get a seperate fund started, The Registration Fund, I'll set it up for NP$ the same way I set up Christines profile and people can donate to the ID named Registration Fund or something like like that. Just got home from work ...12 long and back at it early, but I'll get as much done as I can tonight then finish after work tomorrow.

Talked to some of my Union brothers and they are reaching out in their neighborhoods as well.

Admin, could you set up a Christine ribbon or bone marrow ribbon or something to handle the incoming donations... with something like that, I could focus on the other things I'm working on and not have to worry about the who what where of the funding, or a volunteer to keep track on the donations would be great.
Ideas from all are welcome.
thanks, cyberian

Last edited:
•••
Cyberian, that's $500 per donor registration, even if they turn out to be not a match for Christine. :( To give Christine a statistical chance at getting a match, we would need over 20,000 registrants, and at $500 per head, we better get in touch with Bill Gates.

I imagine we'll have better success at recruiting potential donors if we can take the registration cost out of the picture. I also emailed asianmarrow for more info.

•••
Armstrong, so let me get this straight:

Bone Marrow DONORS have to pay $500 to even CONSIDER donating their bone marrow??

That's crazy!

•••
This account is closed, all funds have been moved to the reward profile named ~Christine ~... Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.
~ Cyberian ~

Last edited:
•••
DONOR_REG_FUND said:
Armstrong~
Maybe we will contact Uncle Bill if we have to, but first we do what we can.
~To All~

This is the DONOR REGISTRATION FUND ID, fill it up please.
What other celberties are into doing bone marrow fundrasing? Maybe we could get some help from ABC or another national news station.

•••
maybe it would help if we had just one fund??? we now have three it seems, also could someone please clarify which is the orginal one

•••
Amnezia said:
maybe it would help if we had just one fund??? we now have three it seems, also could someone please clarify which is the orginal one
Hi Amnezia, one is for the person who finds the donor, the other is for the donor registration fee of $500.00 to test and see if they match. I've sent you a PM

Armstrong said:

swimjenni said:
What other celberties are into doing bone marrow fundrasing? Maybe we could get some help from ABC or another national news station.
Good idea, could you check that out and work up a celeb list of sorts... I'm working on asian companys with ties to the island, with the idea of a larger push outside of NP and keying on the low % of asian donors and try to take this national.

•••
Well, with all this work, has anyone thought of launching a whole new website / organization? I mean common - there's GOTTA be more people who need bone marrow transplants than Christine. I say as a community, we start a new website to assist people needing bone marrow transplants, and to connect scholarships, resources, etc... for them and for those who sign up for the Donor Registration System.

Anyone with me?

•••
Great news! I just got a reply from asianmarrow. In essense:

- The cost is free to all minority registrants as long as they understand that they are not just signing up to match Christine, they are signing up to match up all the Filipino donors who are in need of a bone marrow transplant.
- There are two ways of drawing bone marrow material - one is thru surgery, and another by drawing blood; the second option sounds like its less "ouch".

Here's a schedule of donor drives in California -> http://site.ph/temp/donordrives.pdf

The full text of asianmarrow's reply:

Thank you for your email. To answer you questions, we basically have people sign up at any one of our marrow registration drives all across Southern California and sometimes in Arizona and Las Vegas. The potential donor has to be 18-60 in good general health. When they get to the marrow registration drive they'll fill out a consent form, a health questionnaire and we'll take a small sample of blood that will be sent to the national registry for typing. The donor just has to be okay to donate to anyone, not just Christine. Since this is a national registry, we want the potential donor to be okay to donate to whoever they match up for... as long as that's okay then they can sign up.

The cost is free to all minority registrants as long as they understand that they are not just signing up to match Christine, they are signing up to match up all the Filipino donors who are in need of a bone marrow transplant. Because minorities aren't on the national bone marrow registry, the government covers the cost to encourage donors to sign up.

So basically, when the blood sample is sent to the national registry... that determines their bone marrow type. It's available for search by patients looking for bone marrow donors. So if a potential donor becomes a match, they will call that person in for further testing to see if they are the perfect match. If it is a perfect match, they'll ask that person to be the patients bone marrow donor.

There are two ways to donate marrow. The first way is the traditional marrow donation, where they use a needle and syringe and use general anesthesia and they take it from the back pelvic bone. You don't feel anything during the procedure, but afterward you will feel a strenuous lower back sore for about a couple of days to about a week and a half. But for the most part, that's all that you'll feel.

The next way is PBSC and what they do is they give you a hormone to make you produce more blood cells in your blood stream, and as soon as enough is produced they draw blood from one arm as if you donating blood and then it runs through a machine and separates the blood stem cells from the rest of the blood. The rest of the blood is put back into your other arm and the stem cells are giving to the patient. You feel flu like symptoms because of the hormones but for the most part that's all you'll feel.

Each procedures has a recovery time of about a couple of days to about a week and a half. Each donor is different so recovery time is different.

•••
All the best to your cousin, armstrong. I will tell all my filipino friends about this.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back