IT.COM

URGENT - PayPal Scam

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
A mate emailed me just now saying this cam to him from PayPal.

It comes with an attachment :

The name of the virus was Win32/Mimail.I@mm

The content of the mail reads :

Subject : PayPal
Body : Dear PayPal member,

PayPal would like to inform you about some important information regarding your PayPal account. This account, which is associated with the email address

[email protected]

will be expiring within five business days. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause, but this is occurring because all of our customers are required to update their account settings with their personal information.

We are taking these actions because we are implementing a new security policy on our website to insure everyone's absolute privacy. To avoid any interruption in PayPal services then you will need to run the application that we have sent with this email (see attachment) and follow the instructions. Please do not send your personal information through email, as it will not be as secure.

IMPORTANT! If you do not update your information with our secure application within the next five business days then we will be forced to deactivate your account and you will not be able to use your PayPal account any longer. It is strongly recommended that you take a few minutes out of your busy day and complete this now.

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE VIA EMAIL! This mail is sent by an automated message system and the reply will not be received.

Thank you for using PayPal.

iekimzhm
-------------------------------

you have been warned.
Rgds,
Matt

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks SY4, I received a smiliar email a few days ago!

•••
Thanks SY4, I havnt gotten one yet but will keep an eye out for it, I'll forward it to you if I get one lol

•••
No skin of my teeth ; )

I got 3 layers of virus protection in place..lmao

•••
I get alot of those on my hotmail account. I assume that 90% of my emails from hotmail are scams

•••
this was sent to a mates private account.....Just a warning :)

•••
i did not receive, but i wont login anywhere except through browser by typing in the url manually.

•••
There seems to be a new one of these things everyday. Stupid scammers.

•••
Originally posted by Kodeking
There seems to be a new one of these things everyday. Stupid scammers.
not too stupid...if 1% of the random email blast 50000000 fall for it ......cool retirement in bahamas;)

just like the nigerians scam.
Originally posted by SY4
No skin of my teeth ; )

I got 3 layers of virus protection in place..lmao

well armed....what do you use?

•••
•••
As per advice on the real Paypal site (https://www.paypal.com), send a copy of the email to

[email protected]

so they can try to do something about it and then delete the email from your computer.

I did this with one recently and Paypal came back very quickly (after the automatic acknowledgement) to confirm they were dealing with it.

If we all do this, perhaps, just perhaps, we might be able collectively to shut these spammers down.

DavidH

•••
i just recieved this today, thanks for the heads up

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back