NameSilo

Undeveloped vs Own Landing Page

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Aman Tibrewal

Established Member
Impact
Why should I go for Undeveloped landing page (which attracts certain % commission) when I can set my own (HTML) landing page? Please suggest!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
And per my experience - the highest negotiation results can be achieved not even from "Make Offer" forms but from the simple Contact Form where no any mentions that the domain is for sale and no any "Offer amount" field.

Can you elaborate on that? Example of the form, the data you have? Thanks

•••
•••
What data? You've referenced nothing, just stating opinion.
So let me gets this straight. You expect me to post all my sales on the open forum to satisfy your curiosity haha good one.

Don't use Undev if you don't want to, some ppl on this forum and elsewhere know about some of my sales.. i don't post everything and frankly I dont give a damn if you don't believe. I did it to help those who are being skewed from your troll like behaviour... anyways.. again I regret participating as usual in most threads on NP as instead of being helpful so many are self centered or on a vendetta.

Last edited:
•••
I decided to put together a little post looking at the pros and cons of the argument and just posted it at NameTalent. Here is the link to the full article, but the key points as I see it are the following....

In favour of your own landing pages hosted on your website:
  • Cost savings.
  • Flexibility to present exactly how you want, no limits on resolution, description length, etc.
  • Possibility of revenue generation
On the other hand, the following argue in favour of using landers from a service such as Undeveloped:
  • Ease.
  • Trust. As others have mentioned in thread, the built in escrow and buyer protection and other aspects of a service like Undeveloped build trust..
  • Professional Landers.
  • Transaction Simplicity.
  • Payment Options can be readily offered
I provide 10 questions to ask yourself that might help you decide which is the right one for you.

Thanks for a valuable thread everyone. I've tried to be balanced in my post, so if you think I have not achieved that feel free to comment here, by DM or in comments at NameTalent.

Have a nice day.

Bob

•••
So let me gets this straight. You expect me to post all my sales on the open forum to satisfy your curiosity haha good one.

Cursing and using words like troll get us nowhere. Unless you’ve specifically posted the exact same domains under identical circumstances as I have done, for a full year, you have nothing meaningful to say on this subject - just capriciousness and, worse, hurling insults.

So - have you listed the exact same domains using UnDeveloped and your own landers simultaneously, for a full year, to compare results? Uh - no - I don’t think so - that would be impossible - hence from the getgo it’s impossible to provide the data that would support your claim that UnDeveloped landers work better than your own.

Again - since you’re not getting it (or else why would you curse and name call) I uploaded the identical 1500 domains to Afternic Sedo DomainAgents Uniregistry UnDeveloped. To summarize: over a solid one year period: many offers many sales almost weekly/ if not daily at the first three. At Uniregistry about a half dozen offers no sales. At UnDeveloped zero sales and only one joke of a $50 offer on a mid five figure domain.

So tell me - what data do you have? Who’s asking for specific sales? I’m just asking for comparative data and the reason you can’t provide any is that it would not even be possible to do an objective comparison of UnDeveloped landers for the exact same domains versus your own landers over the same time period especially given that UnDeveloped hasn’t even been around much over a year. So, What data can you have?

You apparently just like to open your mouth and hurl insults without saying anything other than unsubstantiated generalities and opinions. A little deductive reasoning would go a long way.

•••
I'm not going to answer your questions one by one, not in school, neither do I care for.

Over time I had listed my domains everywhere at the same time. Make offer everywhere.. sometimes forwarding to efty landers, other times to undev landers, other times to Afternic landers and way in the past to Uni. Currently I tend to put bins only on afternic and forward to Undev landers.

Efty and Undev, given perhaps that I negotiate with the client directly, have faired the best. Afternic very close by but commission being 20% , it's a deterrent.

When I had my personal landers I closed some decent sales but there was alot of flakes also.

On Undev it states that it's a legally binding offer, therefore offers coming in tend to be more serious.

If this is still not good enough, then I don't care to waste any more time.

For the part that I have supposedly nothing to say about this and so-on, why don't you go see how many people appreciated my post vs yours..

Last edited:
•••
Again - since you’re not getting it (or else why would you curse and name call) I uploaded the identical 1500 domains to Afternic Sedo DomainAgents Uniregistry UnDeveloped. To summarize: over a solid one year period: many offers many sales almost weekly/ if not daily at the first three. At Uniregistry about a half dozen offers no sales. At UnDeveloped zero sales and only one joke of a $50 offer on a mid five figure domain.

Your experiment is interesting and potentially valuable to our community. Can you please let me know the following though to be sure there are not biases that may have been present.
  1. Just approximately, can you let us know what type of domains they were? i.e. were they legacy or new extensions or a mix? Were they across many different niches? Many country codes?I'm not looking for a detailed response, just some indication.
  2. I presume that you only had BIN set at one of the venues, since otherwise the legal issue of multiple binding sales. The venue that had BIN has a possible advantage. Can you please let us know which venue(s) had the BIN?
  3. The DNS can only be pointed to one venue, obviously. Just generally, can you let us know which venues had DNS pointed, since it would seem to me that venue has a definite advantage.
  4. I presume you did not have Afternic fast transfer set, as then listing it elsewhere would be a conflict. Is that correct?
  5. If you maintain your own website, and had links to the listings, were there links equally to all of the venues from your own site and/or social media?
Thank you very much for some or all of this information.

I would also be interested in experiences of others who have done systematic studies.

Bob

•••
Your experiment is interesting and potentially valuable to our community. Can you please let me know the following though to be sure there are not biases that may have been present.
  1. Just approximately, can you let us know what type of domains they were? i.e. were they legacy or new extensions or a mix? Were they across many different niches? Many country codes?I'm not looking for a detailed response, just some indication.
99.9% dot com
  1. I presume that you only had BIN set at one of the venues, since otherwise the legal issue of multiple binding sales. The venue that had BIN has a possible advantage. Can you please let us know which venue(s) had the BIN?
I had BIN set at none unless a price inquiry came in at a particular marketplace and only then would a BIN be set at that one marketplace only.
  1. The DNS can only be pointed to one venue, obviously. Just generally, can you let us know which venues had DNS pointed, since it would seem to me that venue has a definite advantage.
None. I thought this was clear. I use my own landing pages.
  1. I presume you did not have Afternic fast transfer set, as then listing it elsewhere would be a conflict. Is that correct?
Fast Transfer set only after price inquiry and BIN being set. There is no conflict - think about it - and look at answer above.
  1. If you maintain your own website, and had links to the listings, were there links equally to all of the venues from your own site and/or social media?
I had no links to any marketplaces on my website other than a mention at the bottom of my Contact Us offer form that anonymous offers may be made at Afternic Sedo DomainAgents Uniregistry UnDeveloped which I doubt anyone scrolls down that low on the page anyway.

Thank you very much for some or all of this information.

I would also be interested in experiences of others who have done systematic studies.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
I'm not going to answer your questions one by one, not in school, neither do I care for.

Over time I had listed my domains everywhere at the same time. Make offer everywhere.. sometimes forwarding to efty landers, other times to undev landers, other times to Afternic landers and way in the past to Uni. Currently I tend to put bins only on afternic and forward to Undev landers.

Efty and Undev, given perhaps that I negotiate with the client directly, have faired the best. Afternic very close by but commission being 20% , it's a deterrent.

When I had my personal landers I closed some decent sales but there was alot of flakes also.

On Undev it states that it's a legally binding offer, therefore offers coming in tend to be more serious.

If this is still not good enough, then I don't care to waste any more time.

For the part that I have supposedly nothing to say about this and so-on, why don't you go see how many people appreciated my post vs yours..

I understand from looking at your profile that 99.9% of your domains are hand reg. If so the newest hand regs are mostly low quality while the oldest ones (five ten fifteen years old, if you’ve held them that long) might be high quality. This also introduces since you appear to be hand regging constantly an ever changing variable into whether what you have sells, because your portfolio is constantly changing and aging. (For example a given hand reg of yours that was only 1 year old ten years ago while hosted with a landing page at Uniregistry might be 11 years old and worth something while listed today with an UnDeveloped landing page.)

Additionally - if you can grasp the concept - the season matters for domain sales (some say summer is slow) and given that UnDeveloped has been around only about a year unless you’ve given UnDeveloped the same all four seasons shot at selling that I gave Afternic Sedo DomainAgents Uniregistry UnDeveloped your data is skewed.

The year matters too. 2015 was a different market from 2018.

Also as mentioned if you’re constantly hand regging your domain portfolio is constantly changing. My portfolio other than a very small handful of acquisitions over the past year of my test was entirely static. Plus as I added these small number of new domains I went ahead and added them to all marketplaces.

In my case I tested the exact same domains during the exact same one year time period across these five marketplaces and found close to zero activity at UnDeveloped versus heavy activity in the way of offers and closed sales at Afternic Sedo DomainAgents. That is a very solid scientific result from unskewed data.

In the end if one receives a direct offer via a landing page it arrives due to the name. If someone lands on your page and doesn’t send in an offer that is not a serious inquirer it should have nothing to do with where the page is hosted. Or, if no one lands on your page it should have nothing to do with where it is hosted. If you can’t get past this comprehension that people are landing on the page due to the name not due to where hosted then we’re not even on the same page in this debate.

Your thinking that more offers or traffic are happening at one landing page versus another is akin to a placebo effect of being sold an expensive sugar pill that is costing you 9% of your profit. You’re also falling prey to a dicto simplicitur argument of that “because a name sold while hosted with a landing page at UnDeveloped it must be because of UnDeveloped” - it ain’t necessarily so - a beautiful woman looks good whether in a cocktail dress or naked and your thinking that the outfit is what made her attractive is a faulty deduction.

Last edited:
•••
given that UnDeveloped has been around only about a year

This has been said a few times in the thread, but I don't believe that it is accurate. Although they have become much more active in last year, they were in the domain marketplace business at least back to 2015 according to Wayback Machine. Their trust statement cites 2014.

Nevertheless the date, it is true that they are much younger than Sedo or Afternic. That may mean that their performance is also changing, which should be taken into account.

Bob

•••
It is possible that 'both sides' are right in the debate that has taken place in this thread. It is entirely possible or probable that if you list your names multiple places you will get more offers from the Sedo or Afternic networks just because they are so huge and people actively searching, and the most likely to buy, will probably look first there. So most of the offers that @xynames got would be from that and not due to any specific feature of the landers.

It is also possible that if they find your lander by typing it in, that some landers are more effective than others in converting into sales or at least offers. Aesthetically I personally like the Undeveloped.com landers a lot, and I feel the way they present builds trust. I don't personally like the Afternic ones that make a phone call top and centre and hide my description of the name and even the BIN price. If I price a domain name hoping for a quick sale, that is at first glimpse hidden. Since @xynames study did not have BIN, any advantage along this line was not tested in his experiment.

It has been said that people only reach your lander by typing it in, but that is not always true. For example, if you list your domain name in any tweet, it instantly becomes a linkable item and some may reach it that way. Alternatively, many have active links on their web pages which take people to landers. It appears that in the 'study' neither was done, so if you do this the results may not apply to you.

It was correctly pointed out by @xynames that there are seasonal changes in domain name sales (although the data is not as simple as one might think). There are of course extension differences. I don't have hard data, but it seems to me that the number of country code (especially European) is much higher on Undeveloped than the other sites in the experiment, and the experiment was essentially all .com, so the results might well be different if you repeated it with say country code names.

Bobb

•••
Bob, you keep mentioning "landers" - I am not using any landing pages from Afternic Sedo DomainAgents Uniregistry UnDeveloped. I use my own landing pages.

Landing pages have nothing to do with offers I receive or do not receive at Afternic Sedo DomainAgents Uniregistry UnDeveloped. My data is based on listing all my 1500 domains in all five marketplaces, during the exact same one year period, and getting many offers and many closed sales from Afternic Sedo DomainAgents, and only one joke of an offer and zero closed sales from UnDeveloped.

Landing pages are completely irrelevant to my data.

The other guy pokainc is making the farfetched claim that hosting your landing pages at one DNS or another makes some kind of difference as far as traffic or offers.

Last edited:
•••
No claim for traffic.... i said closing rates are higher.

•••
@pokainc @xynames

I don't think there is a real contradiction in what you guys are writing.

You have done different experiments.

Xynames has tested how efficiently the marketplace can sell without the benefit of the landing page, i.e. their own net contribution to a domain being found or a customer going there because of some trust and convenience factor.

Pokainc, on the other hand, is comparing the efficiency in converting landing page traffic into sales. And he is comparing his experiences from landing pages of third parties, while xynames only does his own landing page.

Both of your experiences are valuable for us all and thank you for sharing.

•••
Landing pages have nothing to do with offers I receive

....but they may well have to do with offers received by those who DO use landers, whether their own or marketplace landers, was the point I was making (obviously not very clearly :xf.wink:). When a name is entered in a browser (e.g. by someone wanting to see if it is for sale) it goes somewhere, whether that is a not found page, a registrar default parked page, your own hosted lander, parking page at a service, marketplace lander, etc. I believe that first impressions are important, and tend to agree with @pokainc that lander may well make a conversion difference.

I just realized @Recons.Com posted exactly what I was planning to (thank you!), so won't say more. I see no contradiction either, and think that both claims are quite probably true.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Only partially related to lander effectiveness of course, this thread prompted me to do a tiny analysis looking at the sales self-reported in the NPs thread for period Nov 3 to Dec 3 to see at what venues the domain names sold at.

Just did this by scrolling through the Report Completed Sales NPs pages making ticks. It is possible I made an error here and there. In a few cases where the venue was not obvious to me (or a one-of site) I listed us Other/Unclear. Some Private designated might really be Efty, perhaps. I was surprised how many were on Undeveloped, for sure more than a year ago.

As with any tiny statistical sample for only part of a year and with potential bias because it was only NamePros members and only those who chose to self-report, be cautious of placing too much on this. My full post at NameTalent provides more background and discussion.

Keep in mind that this looks at numbers of sales only. If value taken into account Sedo and the brandable sites would move up obviously.

If there is statistical significance in this, suggests that about 1/3 of sales take place at venues that regularly report to NameBio. Please keep in mind the very limited basis of this study. I found it interesting, but it is not extensive enough to base judgements on imho. The proposed project for a collaborative database to record sales will permit future analyses that are easier to do and a much larger sample.

Bob
NPRepSalesNov2018.png

•••
Only partially related to lander effectiveness of course, this thread prompted me to do a tiny analysis looking at the sales self-reported in the NPs thread for period Nov 3 to Dec 3 to see at what venues the domain names sold at...
First of, great idea, thanks! (y)(y)

Secondly, three suggestions going forward, to make this kind of report much more informative anduseful at a glance, IMHO...

- add up and show the total number of domains and show % of total for each row/marketplace;

- give total $ value of sales for each row;

- calculate and show average sales $ value for each row.

In this business, quantity doesn't show the full picture. Those 3 sales @BB or @BP may well be worth more than those 45 @Undeveloped. Or not. :xf.smile:

•••
•••
4: Total sale volume increased by 40% compared to last month as we hit a record marketplace revenue of +$1M in July alone, for the first time in the history of the company.
Sedo gets ~ this volume per week... according to their past stats (a few years ago)...
What Sedo gets nowadays - I don't know... because unsubscribed from all their news.

Last edited:
•••
I think having own landing page is better and especially if we do outbound because whatever commission we pay to undeveloped or sedo we can save that and use for escrow services as far as own landing we can use paypal still it might get cheaper and paypal definitely creates confidence in the buyer as that is also secured.

I have created my own system like undeveloped in cpanel with php where I add domains in backend get landing page with minimum offer and buy now price with paypal button. And the buyer have trust when it makes payment paypal or escrow.

•••
Hi,

UnDeveloped site says commission is 9% on sales via marketplace.

I read above that it is just 5% if you bring your own lead.

What is "own lead"? If I use undeveloped DNS/Landers, then if I sell a domain because someone directly typed-in my domain and opened the landing undeveloped landing page....now is that considered bringing my own lead and hence just pay 5% commission?

Thank you.

•••
Hi,

What is "own lead"? If I use undeveloped DNS/Landers, then if I sell a domain because someone directly typed-in my domain and opened the landing undeveloped landing page....now is that considered bringing my own lead and hence just pay 5% commission?

Thank you.

No, it's you bringing the lead in yourself.

•••
Hi,

Thank you.

it means you got the lead elsehwere like through parked page bodis etc.
and u have the email etc.. and then u clcik on special button on undeveloped and important that lead there.. this means the lead didn't come through undeveloped. therefore you pay less.

then undeveloped sends email to that lead at address u enter.. and he decides if he wants to buy or talk etc.. on undeveloped of course.

•••
hello friends, i dont know why after i deleted domain from undeveloped and also change the server, but the domain still land on undeveloped page, and said
The domain name xxxx
has been deleted
There are millions of other domains available on Undeveloped. You can probably find the one that fits you best!

i tried many times to change the dns, but still goes to undeveloped landing page. Any solutions? thank you

•••
It takes some time for the change to propagate, so if it had not been long after you set the DNS to point away from Undeveloped it will probably still happen in the next day or so.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back