IT.COM

Undeveloped.com Experience

NameSilo
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used undeveloped.com to sell domains? They claim to be able to increase a domainers sales by 54%.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi Asfas,

Good point. We've already got that improvements of the search in the roadmap. One small note though. Our existing search is designed for end-users that already know what they're looking for. Most of the time they use one or two queries that we now bring together with a real search engine backend (sfinx) and return good matches for.

The feature function you're referring to is more helpful to resellers who are in the market for liquide domains. For them we'll use our curated pages better in the future by making pre-selected lists for you. For example a curated page with our best 200 llll.com's. You as a seller can also make your own lists in the near future. The good lists we'll then promote across our network.

But again point taken. There's indeed room for improvements there.

That's great. But I'm not referring to resellers. New business usually want a small and catchy brandable name, like those Brandbucket sells. Like Envato, Quora, Uber etc. Currently it's not easy to find this kind of domains.

•••
Again I agree with you, however our analysis of the market reflects something interesting I'd like to share with you. The big majority of domain sales aren't to companies like Envato or Uber. If you look at the monthly sales reports from marketplaces you hardly see any high profile startup acquiring a name. Check out the recent LLLL.com sales at Namebio for example. They are all sold to resellers.

It's your small and medium businesses that are making that step to go online or launching a new product that are actually representing the volumes. They tend to buy two keyword domains.

Most starters can't afford a domain like Uber.com unless they've already founded and exited a company before like in Uber's case.

Having said that in our search we'll introduce more advanced filter for buyers looking for that type of names. In meanwhile we'll promote those names with our curated pages like this one: https://undeveloped.com/curated-list/brandable?order=relevance

•••
Thanks.

Having said that in our search we'll introduce more advanced filter for buyers looking for that type of names.

This is enough I guess.

•••
Bump

Anymore updates from Undeveloped users?
I like the way their site looks. I'm not sure how many domains get sold there regularly?

Also, they do a payment plan for people who don't want to or can't pay the full price up front. How many months is this spread over? And can you turn this option off for certain domains?

•••
Bump

Anymore updates from Undeveloped users?
I like the way their site looks. I'm not sure how many domains get sold there regularly?

Also, they do a payment plan for people who don't want to or can't pay the full price up front. How many months is this spread over? And can you turn this option off for certain domains?

I've had reasonable success on Undeveloped, i'm mainly using their platform for my buy-it-now domains now. I've had 2 sales this month since doing this.

I also add payment plans to my landers as an extra option for potential buyers.

•••
I've had reasonable success on Undeveloped, i'm mainly using their platform for my buy-it-now domains now. I've had 2 sales this month since doing this.

If you sell via a payment plan I assume the domain stays under your control until all payments are made?

•••
If you sell via a payment plan I assume the domain stays under your control until all payments are made?

I'm not too sure as I haven't done a deal with payment plans yet.

At a guess i'd assume the name would get pushed into a holding account until all payments have been received.

•••

I was thinking of keeping it all BIN as well. Thank you for the reply! And congrats on your sells.

•••
I'm pretty sure I read in their FAQ that it remains under Undeveloped's control (So the partial-buyer doesn't run off with the domain.)

•••
•••
I have bought one and sold two names during my first weeks there. Not huge sales ($xxx), but everything went smoothly.

I am very impressed with Undeveloped's landing pages. By far the best looking and concise in my opinion. No stupid ads that might "enrich" you with $0.02 per click. Just the fact that the domain is for sale.

I love that there is the telephone number clearly visible in the top right corner, so potential customers know exactly how to get in touch. Can you even find Sedo's number on their website?

When I parked at Uniregistry, I would get loads of spam leads. I have not had a single one so far from Undeveloped.

Undeveloped still has bugs to fix - such as getting invoices in English instead of Dutch. And like others, I am not too fond of the term "sold by" as some visitors might think the domain has already sold... This needs to be changed I think.

I also think it is a little bit optimistic to promise buyers that they can get the domain within 24 hours in almost all cases. There will certainly be many times when this is not possible. Especially with ccTLDs.

Some people "worry" that they are based in Europe. But if U.S. buyers have no problems buying from Uniregistry, who as far as I know is based on some small island (where are their brokers situated, anyway?), I am sure buying from a company in the Netherlands using a reputable payment processor is not a problem. Not exactly a third-world country ;)

So far so good. Would love to have a sale with installments to see how it works out.

Last edited:
•••
I've been hoping they would add a US based phone number...not sure it would make any difference to a potential buyer but it would require a minimal outlay of capital and may boost sales from US.

•••
I've been hoping they would add a US based phone number...not sure it would make any difference to a potential buyer but it would require a minimal outlay of capital and may boost sales from US.

We're adding a toll free number soon ;).

•••
•••
A landing page for 15% doesn't make any sense to me? What am I missing?

•••
There is no option of USD payment , Only VAT , confusing O_o

•••
Good to hear...thanks for the response and please let us know when it is active/available.

It's live ;). We put on a toll free number for now. Soon we'll add localized numbers based on your IP for a broad range of countries. For example, a German buyer will see a German number while a US buyer will see the toll free number.

•••
A landing page for 15% doesn't make any sense to me? What am I missing?

Even though we're pretty confident that there's not for sales page out there that converts as good as ours, we offer more than a landing page of course.

Most value added auction platforms or marketplaces charge 25%-30% commission. Platforms like Uniregistry and Sedo make most of their money actually from PPC rather than commissions. So in the end when you're selling with them and have both PPC parking + a for sale link enabled you're in the end paying more since you're sharing revenue with them on two fronts. Both companies don't focus like us on selling your names only which results in lower number of sales in the end.

At Undeveloped we simply focus on identifying literally every single barrier for an interested buyer to initiate a conversation or transaction with you and make sure we lift those.

For example a lot of buyers we interviewed after a bounced sale told us they still are interested in the domain but they simply can't afford it. We immediately started the development of adding a payment plan option on our for sales page to get those buyers converted. Today, the number of sales initiated via installments at Undeveloped is growing very fast because of that.

We charge 15%, simply because we offer the most polished and value-added service you can get. Also note that we're a full-service provider that takes care of everything involved in buying or selling a name from A to Z, including escrow. We have an entire product team working every single day on implementing improvements that will result in providing you and your buyers with a better user experience.

Besides that, every single penny we generate in revenue we invest in further innovation subjects on the auction front but also other subjects like financing. We've already started offering domain renting for example in partnership with Radix, in the future we'll roll that out to all sellers.

Above I'm just touching a small aray of things we do with the commission we collect from you to keep improving our marketplace and making sure you sell more domains.

The only way for you to truly find out how well Undeveloped performs is to sign-up, park 50% of your domains randomly with us and benchmark the differences. I don't recall any seller we boarded that did the above to ever leave Undeveloped.

One final note, always reach out to me personally or us if you're in doubt if you're using our platform accordingly. We can always help identifying better pricing strategies or for sales lander setups. Don't forget we have a strong dependency on you actually selling domains. If you don't sell, we don't generate revenue. So we're very keen to help every single seller on our platform to become more successful.

Take care,
Reza

•••
There is no option of USD payment , Only VAT , confusing O_o

You can definitely change the currency. Simply head to Settings > Account Settings > Portfolio > Currency and select your currency of choice.

•••
Even though we're pretty confident that there's not for sales page out there that converts as good as ours, we offer more than a landing page of course.

Most value added auction platforms or marketplaces charge 25%-30% commission. Platforms like Uniregistry and Sedo make most of their money actually from PPC rather than commissions. So in the end when you're selling with them and have both PPC parking + a for sale link enabled you're in the end paying more since you're sharing revenue with them on two fronts. Both companies don't focus like us on selling your names only which results in lower number of sales in the end.

At Undeveloped we simply focus on identifying literally every single barrier for an interested buyer to initiate a conversation or transaction with you and make sure we lift those.

For example a lot of buyers we interviewed after a bounced sale told us they still are interested in the domain but they simply can't afford it. We immediately started the development of adding a payment plan option on our for sales page to get those buyers converted. Today, the number of sales initiated via installments at Undeveloped is growing very fast because of that.

We charge 15%, simply because we offer the most polished and value-added service you can get. Also note that we're a full-service provider that takes care of everything involved in buying or selling a name from A to Z, including escrow. We have an entire product team working every single day on implementing improvements that will result in providing you and your buyers with a better user experience.

Besides that, every single penny we generate in revenue we invest in further innovation subjects on the auction front but also other subjects like financing. We've already started offering domain renting for example in partnership with Radix, in the future we'll roll that out to all sellers.

Above I'm just touching a small aray of things we do with the commission we collect from you to keep improving our marketplace and making sure you sell more domains.

The only way for you to truly find out how well Undeveloped performs is to sign-up, park 50% of your domains randomly with us and benchmark the differences. I don't recall any seller we boarded that did the above to ever leave Undeveloped.

One final note, always reach out to me personally or us if you're in doubt if you're using our platform accordingly. We can always help identifying better pricing strategies or for sales lander setups. Don't forget we have a strong dependency on you actually selling domains. If you don't sell, we don't generate revenue. So we're very keen to help every single seller on our platform to become more successful.

Take care,
Reza
I think Flippa is 15%, GoDaddy 10%, Sedo 10%, Uni Landing is free when you handle the sale...

•••
I think Flippa is 15%, GoDaddy 10%, Sedo 10%, Uni Landing is free when you handle the sale...
Obviously the value with GoDaddy, Atfernic, Sedo, is that you have thousands of buyers going to their platform every day to buy/sell/register/host/ etc etc... it's then worth the 15%.

•••

I might be wrong but the standard commission at Godaddy/Afternic that I'm aware of is 20%, Sedo 15% or 20% when added to MLS and Uniregistry indeed offers free when you only use their very standard "make offer" form. You still end up paying a commission at the escrow provider in that case.

Like i said, I do think you'll get more value with us which justifies the commission. In the end even if you sell 1 or 2 domains more a month with us you'd still generate more net-revenue even if you'd paid less commission somewhere else.

•••
Obviously the value with GoDaddy, Atfernic, Sedo, is that you have thousands of buyers going to their platform every day to buy/sell/register/host/ etc etc... it's then worth the 15%.

In that case you're even better of parking with us since there's no exclusivity in place. List your domains on every single marketplace you can find. If they sell your names via distribution, perfect. But park them with us to drive direct traffic sales.

•••
It's live ;). We put on a toll free number for now. Soon we'll add localized numbers based on your IP for a broad range of countries. For example, a German buyer will see a German number while a US buyer will see the toll free number.

Thanks for letting me know...I think it will be helpful to us all to have additional numbers.

•••
I am giving Undeveloped a try with some of my names. So far it's intuitive to use and simple in a good way.

Two of the names I tried to list were "already listed" and the system told me to reach out to them to clear this up. I sent an e-mail to their support and haven't heard back 18 hours later.

I think the language illustrated in this screen-cap could introduce doubt into a buyer's mind. The name is available to Buy Now, but elsewhere on the same page it says it "may" be for sale.

undev-may be.png

One last thing: the system seems to be slow, at best, to recognize once your uploaded names are using their nameservers. I uploaded my names first and then changed my nameservers. When I go into my settings, the system will not allow me to implement payment plans, because it says that at least 50% of my names must be using Undeveloped nameservers in order to implement payment plans. Well, 100% of my names in Undeveloped are using their nameservers and have been for the past 18 hours. It's unclear if the system will ever recognize that or if it's something you have to engage support to have them manually recognize it.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back