IT.COM

Undeveloped.com Experience

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used undeveloped.com to sell domains? They claim to be able to increase a domainers sales by 54%.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are two possible comparisons:

1. Compare undeveloped, using their landing pages, to a different marketing group, using their landing pages. (Or, I suppose you could compare undeveloped landing pages, to using your own landing pages.)

2. Compare undeveloped, not using their landing pages, to other marketing groups like Afternic, Sedo, DomainAgents, etc., not using their landing pages either. With this comparison you are able to compare undeveloped against multiple other sites, simultaneously.

If "Comparing Undeveloped to Afternic/Sedo is not apples to apples either," then that means...what? That Afternic and Sedo have a lot of buyer traffic and Undeveloped has none? What are you saying?
I can only tell you that from my point of view I could care less if the "Undeveloped marketplace" has any traffic coming to it.

I use Undeveloped for my landing pages and as a payment solution with low commission. I still list at Afternic and Sedo. I get the best of both worlds.

I could make my own landing pages but I would still have to have a payment processor and/or escrow service. Once you factor in my time - for me it makes since @ 9% to use Undeveloped to host my landers.

I just don't understand the crusade to corner Undeveloped into saying they aren't as good as a marketplace when their focus is the Landing Page. But to each their own...

•••
I don't know about you, but almost all my sales come from visitors to landing pages - not searches at Sedo, Afternic or Undeveloped.

I would say, lately, about 1/3 of closed sales come from my own landing page, about 2/3 from Afternic, DynaDot marketplace, Sedo, DomainAgents, etc.

There are also sales I make from outbound inquiries, and from existing clients that have hired me to find a domain for them, etc. - those are not included in the above figures.

As far as inquiries/offers, I would say it's about 50-50, my landing pages versus those marketplaces.

I could make my own landing pages but I would still have to have a payment processor and/or escrow service.

My buyers pay all escrow fees, so it is just time. Even when they pay me directly, they pay extra to compensate for transaction costs. My average sale is mid four figures, so 9% versus a little time to set up an escrow, is worth my time!

I can see how if you have many smaller sales, okay, then 9% versus the time spent on each escrow, would be something.

Last edited:
•••
My buyers pay all escrow fees, so it is just time. My average sale is mid four figures, so 9% for a little time to set up an escrow, is worth my time!

I can see how if you have many smaller sales, okay, then 9% versus the time spent on each escrow, would be something.
I am sure Undeveloped is not for everyone...

By time - I meant my time to create and maintain my own marketplace and landing pages. One day I may decide to do that, but for now I am happy with their landing pages and payment solution. Maintenance on a website to stay up to date, "in style", properly SEOed, etc - is very time consuming if given the right amount of attention.

In my case I leave the landing page up to Undeveloped, exposure up to other marketplaces, and my focus on my domain acquisition.

There are many big profile holders who mainly list and land their names on Sedo/Afternic/Uniregistry/etc and pay 15% or more in commission. Some people have hundreds to thousands of domains at brandable marketplaces and pay 30% - and those marketplaces have exclusivity.

So, different people have different thresholds and tolerances when it comes to who we choose to do business with and why - and different ideas of how we should structure our business model.

IMO - I think Undeveloped is a viable option for many... But wont be the right choice for all.

•••
Thoughtful points. The issue of "credibility" never occurred to me as being an issue, because no inquirer ever brought it up, I close sales regularly from landing page inquiries, and I am offered domains to broker weekly, so people must think I know what I am doing, which I do believe I do know what I am doing. :xf.smile: The current iteration of the XYNames website is not the only one, had a prior version at a different URL going back many years.

Anyway, I'll go back to undeveloped and see how I may upload all my domains, which are a couple thousand currently plus brokered ones. Let's see if there is any buyer traffic at undeveloped; I would be remiss in my diligence if I did not take it one step at a time.

You must compare apples with apples. Compare Afternic/Sedo NOT using their landing pages with undeveloped, not using theirs. That is what I will test, soon.

I can safely say that our for sales pages convert better than any parking page that Afternic or Sedo offer. None of the volume players (domainers) that switched from Sedo to us have switched back because we simply deliver more value.

You don't need to park with Afternic or Sedo to get value from them. We even have more domains parked with us than Afternic has. The simple reason for that is that Afternic's inventory is pushed at Godaddy and we all know that Godaddy has a lot of search traffic. So definitely list your domains there for that purpose.

If Godaddy would publish our inventory in their search as well we would perform much better than Afternic. That's why Godaddy kicked Sedo's inventory out of their search when they acquired Afternic. It's their secondary market play and they'd like to keep it exclusive to their own brand.

Same goes for Sedo. They were the first real domain marketplace (search engine) and gained a lot of traction in a virgin market. They're still reaping the benefits of being that first mover in our space. They actually defined most of the secondary market and deserve credits for that. I used to use them before Undeveloped as well. However, they remained idle for too long and now have to cope with a lot of technical debt which prevents them from innovating.

Also when AdLINK Group acquired Sedo they wanted to tap into the domain traffic your domains bring in to serve their ads. PPC used to be great but today isn't anymore. So that's also keeping them behind in terms of moving away from the old model and introducing a new.

I would still use Sedo to monetize all my typo traffic but I wouldn't keep a single sellable domain parked there as that hurts your domain sales.

So to conclude, yes we definitely compete with Sedo directly and in a sense also with Afternic aka Godaddy. I suggest Undeveloped sellers to list their domains on both platforms. Every sale you can get be it via your for sales page or not is welcome. But our added value goes well beyond being able to leverage an already established brand. So list with every single marketplace you can find out there that's reliable but park with the company that can add even more value. If you're selling 10 domains a month while having your domains listed with Sedo/Afternic and parked with either of them you can only increase that number by listing and parking with us.

PS: sorry for the long post again.

•••
I just don't understand the crusade to corner Undeveloped into saying they aren't as good as a marketplace when their focus is the Landing Page. But to each their own...

I agree Michael. Our marketplace isn't any less than Afternic's for example. However, they have the exclusive advantage of being part of Godaddy and being able to publish their domain inventory in front of all searches conducted at Godaddy for domains.

Put Undeveloped's inventory there and you'd have the same effect. But we're not part of Godaddy and nor will Godaddy publish our inventory in their stream.

•••
As far as inquiries/offers, I would say it's about 50-50, my landing pages versus those marketplaces.

Understanding the "closed mindset" can get you the traffic & buyers that really want your domain name. These mindsets are the ones exactly looking for specific domain name.

Mindsets who type in the keyword/s in Undeveloped, GoDaddy, Sedo, Afternic, etc search box are “thinking of something” that they’re looking for. They're just "thinking".

Two mindsets doesn’t come naturally to your landing page nor via search box. Learn more about lucrative inter-reaction.

Convincing the buyer vs Let the buyer beware & let the buyer choose.

Last edited:
•••
I have a feature suggestion. When potential buyers visit a seller's profile/domain shop, it would be nice if they could choose to search either this particular seller's inventory or the entire Undeveloped marketplace instead of as now only the entire marketplace.

Not sure if this is possible (or desirable).

•••
I have signed up to Undeveloped today and have a newbie question.

Can you disable "more domains from this seller" feature? Sure, it's nice to have an option to push all the domains - related and unrelated - given any opportunity, but I don't really think this adds value from end user perspective, unless you have a collection of thematic domains, which I don't. So I would rather keep the page focused on this specific domain and not distracting elsewhere. Anycase, they can click on seller account to see other domains listed by the seller.

An option to add your own image to the landing page, similar to efty, would be fantastic!

Last edited:
•••
I have signed up to Undeveloped today and have a newbie question.

Can you disable "more domains from this seller" feature? Sure, it's nice to have an option to push all the domains - related and unrelated - given any opportunity, but I don't really think this adds value from end user perspective, unless you have a collection of thematic domains, which I don't. So I would rather keep the page focused on this specific domain and not distracting elsewhere. Anycase, they can click on seller account to see other domains listed by the seller.

An option to add your own image to the landing page, similar to efty, would be fantastic!

To hide your domain list on your landing pages - Click on your name in the top right corner of Undeveloped's site when logged in, click on Settings, under the "Meet the Seller" section choose "Don't show anything".

To upload an image for your landing pages - Under settings choose Seller profile on the left of the settings screen. Click choose file under background image and upload. (you can go to istock or similar to get an image to use if you don't have one)

•••
Thanks Michael! This worked, stupid on me not to check the settings first! I wasn't looking into account settings - was expecting to see option under each domain. Seems like it's more universal approach, but maybe it's good - saves time.

How long does it take for the main domains dashboard to refresh usually? I have parked pages 12hrs ago, and the landers on pages updated immediately, but the dashbord still says 0% parked and shows greyed lines under any stats.

•••
The main dashboard takes 24 hours to update which I think is too slow. Then again so does Uniregistry and Sedo. Only efty via Google analytics provide immediate updates for each domain. So you can check which domain has had a visitor, where from etc.

The main total count ticker is updated instantly at Undeveloped. So it will add a visitor to the tally there and then when you have someone who has just visited one of your landing pages or seen your offer page. However you will never know what domain that was (but all individial domain traffic is refreshed after 24 hours). Again only Efty with their google analytics integration will do this, immediately.

On a side note has anyone noticed a dramatic reduction in direct traffic since moving domains to Undeveloped? The landing page visitor detection is working for sure as I test my own landers and it adds my visits to the visitor tally on the dashboard.

I received a large supply of visitors via efty landing pages daily via direct traffic. Granted some may have been bots but since switching to Undeveloped nameservers for over a week I have noticed a massive fall in direct traffic.

And I used to get regular genuine offers at Efty too. Maybe it's just been a slow week.

•••
Hi All,

Effective from today, the commission rate at Undeveloped is lowered from 15% to 9%. You can now use the best performing domain marketplace to park with while paying even less commission!

Happy selling!
Reza
Thats awesome! Thanks!

•••
I have a feature suggestion. When potential buyers visit a seller's profile/domain shop, it would be nice if they could choose to search either this particular seller's inventory or the entire Undeveloped marketplace instead of as now only the entire marketplace.

Not sure if this is possible (or desirable).

It's a good one. I've made a note of it!

•••
Thanks Michael! This worked, stupid on me not to check the settings first! I wasn't looking into account settings - was expecting to see option under each domain. Seems like it's more universal approach, but maybe it's good - saves time.

How long does it take for the main domains dashboard to refresh usually? I have parked pages 12hrs ago, and the landers on pages updated immediately, but the dashbord still says 0% parked and shows greyed lines under any stats.

Hi Amphibia,

Our DNS crawler starts crawling once every 24 hours.

PS: we're having some scale issues at the moment. There's too much activity on Undeveloped for our servers to process. We're adding a very big server tonight, effectively doubling our capacity to solve the 502 error that you might today.

Kind regards,

•••
The main dashboard takes 24 hours to update which I think is too slow. Then again so does Uniregistry and Sedo. Only efty via Google analytics provide immediate updates for each domain. So you can check which domain has had a visitor, where from etc.

The main total count ticker is updated instantly at Undeveloped. So it will add a visitor to the tally there and then when you have someone who has just visited one of your landing pages or seen your offer page. However you will never know what domain that was (but all individial domain traffic is refreshed after 24 hours). Again only Efty with their google analytics integration will do this, immediately.

On a side note has anyone noticed a dramatic reduction in direct traffic since moving domains to Undeveloped? The landing page visitor detection is working for sure as I test my own landers and it adds my visits to the visitor tally on the dashboard.

I received a large supply of visitors via efty landing pages daily via direct traffic. Granted some may have been bots but since switching to Undeveloped nameservers for over a week I have noticed a massive fall in direct traffic.

And I used to get regular genuine offers at Efty too. Maybe it's just been a slow week.

Hi Peace800,

We might be a bit more aggressive in kicking out bots from your stats. They still "sneak-in" but we grab and filter out most. That could result in the difference in traffic.

Take care,
Reza

•••
Yes, I picked today of all days to try to upload my domain list via .csv and I'm getting
502 Bad Gateway
nginx/1.4.6 (Ubuntu)

will give Undeveloped a try see if listing about 1500 of my domains there gets any action.

•••
Update, hold on, I logged into the account and I see domains under my portfolio, so appears it worked after all, notwithstanding the error. One suggestion, all I see are pages, not a numbered list so I can't tell at a glance how many domains are in there. Unless I am missing something?
Seems like 37 pages x 25 per page which would be 925, which is about five hundred short of the amount I uploaded.

Is there a way to note a minimum offer on all of them at once?

Hmm, it also made my email address a domain by mistake, lol.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, I picked today of all days to try to upload my domain list via .csv and I'm getting
502 Bad Gateway
nginx/1.4.6 (Ubuntu)

will give Undeveloped a try see if listing about 1500 of my domains there gets any action.

Hi Xynames,

Welcome on board! As mentioned yesterday we're having some scale issues. There's almost double activity on Undeveloped which causes time-outs. We've prepared adding a pretty huge server to fix this issue. It's not deployed yet as we want to ensure no down time. I expect the 502 error to be gone within 24 hours.

Take care,

Reza

•••
Update, hold on, I logged into the account and I see domains under my portfolio, so appears it worked after all, notwithstanding the error. One suggestion, all I see are pages, not a numbered list so I can't tell at a glance how many domains are in there. Unless I am missing something?
Seems like 37 pages x 25 per page which would be 925, which is about five hundred short of the amount I uploaded.

Is there a way to note a minimum offer on all of them at once?

Hmm, it also made my email address a domain by mistake, lol.

You can increase the domains per page in your portfolio. The option are 25, 50, 100, 250, 500 and 1000 domains per page.

Yes you have many options to set a minimum offer on all domains at once. Here are the popular ones:

1: Go to https://undeveloped.com/users/settings/account and set the default starting offer on the minimum price you'd like to set. This impacts all domains in your portfolio.

2: Go to your portfolio: https://undeveloped.com/users/portfolio and select to show 1000 domains per page. Then select all domains and hit the edit prices option to change all minimum offers.

3: Use our bulk edit tool. Simply import your current buy nows + minimum prices via a CSV or XLS file.

PS: Pro tip. When you select domains in your portfolio you can use the search to find domains and select them as well to prepare a bulk edit. When you search the portfolio section remembers your selections allowing you to quickly lookup a couple of domains, select them and change in bulk the BINs or minimum offers.

•••
Goodmorning NP-ers!

I have two interesting announcements to share with you!

First, this morning we complete a big infrastructure upgrade which results in:

1: Your for sales pages will load even faster (good for conversions)
2: Undeveloped.com will execute actions much faster and feel lighter than before

Now the real big announcement which should impact every single seller:

Yesterday, we shared our plans to drastically improve buying and selling of domains by using cutting-edge technology like blockchain. The best part of it all? We invite the entire industry to join our initiative.

If the industry doesn't want to change and innovate then we'll do it ourselves but at least we gave everyone a fair chance to join our endeavor.

Read more about our initiative here: https://blog.undeveloped.com/domain...coming-innovative-thriving-again-a751d2e17ae9

I know it's not in the DNA of the domain industry to work together on innovation items but if we bundle our forces we can create a more liquid domain market and allow the industry to grow again.

Since we're not even allowed to share our announcement in the news section of Namepros, I'd like to ask anyone that shares our vision for the industry to help us getting the news out there. Contact your registrar, the domain marketplaces you use and ask them if they are going to be part of our initiative or not. Help us raise awareness by tweeting and sharing the post. Get creative :)

Any help will have an impact. Let's make our voices heard.

Thank you very much,

Reza

•••
To hide your domain list on your landing pages - Click on your name in the top right corner of Undeveloped's site when logged in, click on Settings, under the "Meet the Seller" section choose "Don't show anything".

To upload an image for your landing pages - Under settings choose Seller profile on the left of the settings screen. Click choose file under background image and upload. (you can go to istock or similar to get an image to use if you don't have one)

This doesn't work. I found that a user can still click on your name and see your listings (even if you click "do not show anything".

On another unrelated but serious note - the load times for Undeveloped are horrible. The site is terribly slow. This needs to be fixed asap. I am getting a gateway timeout. Ugh

504 Gateway Time-out
nginx/1.4.6 (Ubuntu)

•••
We've been under a DDOS attack Sperry. At least that’s what our guys think. There also might be an issie with the newly issued instance at AWS. Try loading Undeveloped now and it'll work perfectly fine. However, I can't guarantee we won't be attacked/ experience issues again. We're really doing our best to fix this asap.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Last edited:
•••
Now we are able to see buyers IP address. Thanks @Undeveloped

•••
Hi All,

In case you hadn't noticed yet, all infrastructure issues are resolved since Friday late in the evening. It turns out it wasn't a DDoS that caused the issue. One of our instances at AWS (Amazon) was corrupted and had driven the CPU to a 100% which caused the problem. This problem is fixed and Undeveloped + your for sales pages load now faster than before. Again apologies for the inconvenience last week. We didn't mess up, it was AWS and these things unfortunately happen.

Finally, as DNGear mentions, from now on you can see the country + IP of your buyers in the lead view!

Take care,
Reza

Attachments

• buy-new.png
    buy-new.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
•••
Hi All,

In case you hadn't noticed yet, all infrastructure issues are resolved since Friday late in the evening. It turns out it wasn't a DDoS that caused the issue. One of our instances at AWS (Amazon) was corrupted and had driven the CPU to a 100% which caused the problem. This problem is fixed and Undeveloped + your for sales pages load now faster than before. Again apologies for the inconvenience last week. We didn't mess up, it was AWS and these things unfortunately happen.

Finally, as DNGear mentions, from now on you can see the country + IP of your buyers in the lead view!

Take care,
Reza

A tip for you Reza when responding to issues like this. Take responsibility - as far as we are concerned Undevelop did mess up. I don't care who/where along your chain of suppliers it occurred. I use Undeveloped and have no say in your suppliers. It does not instill confidence when someone tries to pass the buck. The reality is you fixed the issue promptly and now things are better than before. No need to pretend you had nothing to do with it.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back