Dynadot

Undeveloped.com Experience

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used undeveloped.com to sell domains? They claim to be able to increase a domainers sales by 54%.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What matters is the date of ownership, not the registration date. If you acquire a domain that contains an existing trademark, your ownership starts after the trademark and greatly increases your risk of losing the domain. The previous owner may have registered the domain before there was any trademark and so had a reasonably secure hold on the domain, but they can't pass that on to a new owner. Plenty of discussion of that here on NP.

Also companies stealthily acquiring domains or sets of domains for future use usually do not want names published.
Buyers who buy domains on DAN, usually they develop it afterwards for their own purpose or register the term under their own trademark under their own field. They don't care about existing TM and change of ownership.
If you do, I guess with your due diligence you'll decide the buy the domain on another platform. That's if the scenario with change of ownership and TM issue is true.

Then, if the pros of displaying transactions outweigh the cons, then I guess this is not a major issue when compared to the innovation being introduced.

•••
Everything so far had indicated that we could, at the very least, opt out of having sales published. I asked where that opt-out option was and got no reply. I asked to be shown where in the ToS we had consented to publishing sales - no reply. Realistically the publishing of sales should be paused until this is resolved.

Another reason people do not publish sales is to stop the buyer getting spammed by would-be sellers, and also to maintain competitive advantages.

Hi Carob,

I personally want to share all sales but the last time we did it at DNJournal we got so many negative responses from sellers that we stopped doing it. In the future, we'll make it an opt-in to share your sales so we could start publishing sales from sellers that give us their approval to share their sales.

However, the problem here is that it might look as if we don't sell many names simply because not all sellers, in that case, will publish their sales. So that could turn into negative advertising for the company.

In terms of sales volume we're now selling significantly more than Namejet and are getting close to sell as much as Uniregistry does.

Kind regards,
Reza

@undeveloped @Reza
Issues:

3) What if you need to keep a particluar sale private (NDA, etc.), how do you opt-out of using the new blockchain feature and/or the "recently sold" feed ? There should be a checkbox or something for each name to opt-out.

Hi Springs,

About item 3: we're not sure if we'll keep that element on the homepage but if we do, we'll offer a simple button the negotiation view so you can "privatize" a sale.

•••
They don't care about existing TM and change of ownership.
If you do, I guess with your due diligence you'll decide the buy the domain on another platform. .

I wouldn't buy a domain at Undeveloped knowing the sale will be published, and not just for TM reasons. When I buy a domain or sell a domain at Sedo it is private, always.

•••
Can anyone confirm they were facing these bots all the time? They have been hitting my domains since yesterday nonstop.

upload_2019-7-10_13-56-38.png

•••
I wouldn't buy a domain at Undeveloped knowing the sale will be published, and not just for TM reasons. When I buy a domain or sell a domain at Sedo it is private, always.
I wish i have such a problem as you..privacy, conspirasy.. trademark issues etc. I thing better not even to sell domains as potential buyer can disclose your talks to 3rd party and everything will be ruined.

•••
When I buy a domain or sell a domain at Sedo it is private, always.
Are you sure about that? Aren't Sedo sales always reported?

•••
Are you sure about that? Aren't Sedo sales always reported?

Sedo themselves have said 80% of sales there are private, and there is a global setting to keep yours private - I set mine to private years ago.

•••

The way I see private deals is when a buyer contacts you directly, you close the deal by yourself via escrow and buyer specifically asks you not to advertise the sale anywhere.

When a buyer gets in touch and purchase a name via a PUBLIC domain marketplace, both buyer and seller should abide to marketplace's TOS.

In the end if privacy (or the lack of it) bothers you so much perhaps is better not to list your names with DAN, problem solved! :)

•••
Sedo themselves have said 80% of sales there are private, and there is a global setting to keep yours private - I set mine to private years ago.
Could you point me where to find that? I think they were charging extra few percent for that, or at least it was this way years ago.

•••
Could you point me where to find that? I think they were charging extra few percents for that, or at least it was this way years ago.

No that is escrow where they charge a % to keep private.

You just email them to get global setting of privacy on non-escrow transactions.

Last edited:
•••
In the end if privacy (or the lack of it) bothers you so much perhaps is better not to list your names with DAN, problem solved! :)

The point is, the sales were previously private, now they are public, without warning users of this change or getting consent. So yes, there are other places to list and that may well be a better choice. Dan.com are well aware that many users do not want sales published.

Last edited:
•••
Can anyone confirm they were facing these bots all the time? They have been hitting my domains since yesterday nonstop.

Show attachment 123368
Yup, also Boise, San Leandro, Boardman. Lots of garbage traffic. See it also from outside the US. Kyoto, Chuo, Chyoda, Kyiv, etc.

GA only allows you to filter a few items so you cant get them all. But its probably safe to say that 95% of the traffic you see coming in to a wide ranging portfolio is just junk, bots, referrers.

If we didnt have GA, I would be amazed at how much traffic some domains get, but with GA you can see its all worthless.

Last edited:
•••
Closed 1st sale on Dan! It took only 24h to close transaction and process payment to me! Impressive! Keep it that way!

•••
Looks that the mentioned MX bug/issue appeared recently... when they updated their DNS Zone template for parked domains.

I think the same thing.
Hope they read the thread and check the issue

We never ignore comments. As mentioned, I wasn't aware of us publishing any MX records. The issue you raised was true after I checked with our guys and one of our developers had introduced those records accidentally and they are removed this week.

I confirm that the issue is now solved and I was finally able to set undeveloped name servers for all my domains.
Thank you both for the help.

•••
I just found out this.
On portfolio page, if you click on the installment icon next to a domain with bin. You can set or disable the number of installments / domains.
Like if you've set 12 months in settings.
You can choose 6 or 4 months for a particular domain.
Or disable it so that there's no installment option for that domain.

•••
Is it possible to sell domain via Dan (Undeveloped) escrow without using their robot for domain transfer just by reaching agreement with seller and announcing that in transfer window by both sides? Will the funds be released to seller after that? Thanks.

•••

Doesn't guarantee the seller won't report it, I report all sales I make and would never sign an NDA without an NDA bonus.

And there was a time when Sedo was charging not to publish sales data, they have now changed it.

•••
Could you point me where to find that? I think they were charging extra few percent for that, or at least it was this way years ago.

They were 100% correct.

Mike Berkens actually wrote about this in 2010.

BuyDomains.com hasn’t announced it anywhere yet, but I have confirmed that they will no longer report sales of their owned and operated domains.

BuyDomains.com has reporting its domain name sales for quite a while and Ron Jackson has included these sales on DNJournal.com

Also in a change of policy I’m told that brokered domain sales will be kept private upon request of either the Seller OR Buyer.

Unlike Sedo.com which charges 3% extra not to disclose the sale, there will be no fee or charge for keeping the sale private.

There was no explanation given for the change of policy.

https://www.thedomains.com/2010/08/26/buydomains-stops-reporting-sales-of-owned-operated-domains/

Last edited:
•••
Sometimes it is advised to publish your sales, as that can raise value of your similar domain names for potential buyers.

Such sale reports helped me to raise final price of my sold domains at least x2 much more (5 figure sales) from intial buyers offers as most end users dont have actually any real stats to value your offered domains and such reports can be perfect solution.

And its strange for me why so many domainers are scary to report their sales as such reports only can raise value of all our similar owned domains.

Last edited:
•••
BuyDomains.com has reporting its domain name sales for quite a while and Ron Jackson has included these sales on DNJournal.com

Also in a change of policy I’m told that brokered domain sales will be kept private upon request of either the Seller OR Buyer.

Unlike Sedo.com which charges 3% extra not to disclose the sale, there will be no fee or charge for keeping the sale private.

On their website Sedo are currently saying that keeping a brokered transaction private costs 2.5% extra:

https://sedo.com/uk/what-we-offer/price-list-for-services/

• One-time fee of 69 EUR for domain buyers using our Brokerage Service.
  • We only charge a commission if we successfully negotiate a purchase - a fee of 15% of the gross selling price (note the minimum fee)
  • Optional confidentiality: If the buyer does not wish to publish the sale of the domain name and its price, then Sedo will charge an additional fee of 2.5% of the gross selling price (minimum fee applies)

There is no privacy fee on Escrow only transactions at Sedo as far as I can see:
https://sedo.com/uk/services/domain-transfer/external-transfer/

•••
Another interesting thing is that Dan.com landing pages are being archived at archive.org (dan.com could prevent that if they wished). So if you see a domain sale reported there, you may be able to get a sense of what the asking price was via archive.org. I have also found old Sedo prices there too.

•••
If you ask Sedo to set all your domain sales to private, they do that, it works. But obviously that does not apply to auctions.

If you read DNJournal you regularly find reports of unreported domain sales that have been uncovered by investigation.

Last edited:
•••
If you ask Sedo to set all your domain sales to private, they do that, it works. But obviously that does not apply to auctions.

If you read DNJournal you regularly find reports of unreported domain sales that have been uncovered by investigation.

I don't see any problem with DAN publishing our sold domains without mentioning prices, as many platforms done that before like Uniregistry and Afternic, Just move on and use another platform if you don't like that.

•••
On their website Sedo are currently saying that keeping a brokered transaction private costs 2.5% extra:

https://sedo.com/uk/what-we-offer/price-list-for-services/

There is no privacy fee on Escrow only transactions at Sedo as far as I can see:
https://sedo.com/uk/services/domain-transfer/external-transfer/

Not anymore correct, it's still 2.5% but back in 2010 there was a 3% fee. I do know when I publish their sales report on TheDomains each week, once in awhile Carolyn will email me, "Oh please remove that sale it was supposed to be private"

Last edited:
•••
I don't see any problem with DAN publishing our sold domains without mentioning prices, as many platforms done that before like Uniregistry and Afternic, Just move on and use another platform if you don't like that.

I haven't seen Afternic publish sales recently. Some Afternic sales eventually appear in the related sales published by the Godaddy valuation tool, but all those cannot be easily verified.

Uniregistry publish selected sales about once a year, not in real time.

The key point about DAN publishing sales is they did not before, haven't informed users of this big change, haven't replied to specific queries here about how to control settings for this, and the publication is in real time, and very scrapeable. This approach is worrying because what future changes like that will be imposed on users without advance notification or consideration of the effects?

As said, it would make sense to pause the feature until the issues and documentation/instructions are resolved. It could also be made available only to logged in users.

Last edited:
•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back