Twitter username vs domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Premiums

find.venturesTop Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Auction.Com

One who holds trademark of a brand (usually these people also hold a .com of that brand name) can contact these social sites and claim ownership of that term.

Let's say Walt Disney is the owner of Disney.Com and if someone else owns their handle on Twitter or Facebook or any other site, they can contact those social media sites and show them proof of ownership of that domain and they will be transferred that handle for their company use.

So the owner of a particular domain is the king, not the social media handle owner. Social media handle can be claimed anytime by trademark owners.

•••
Auction.Com

One who holds trademark of a brand (usually these people also hold a .com of that brand name) can contact these social sites and claim ownership of that term.

Let's say Walt Disney is the owner of Disney.Com and if someone else owns their handle on Twitter or Facebook or any other site, they can contact those social media sites and show them proof of ownership of that domain and they will be transferred that handle for their company use.

So the owner of a particular domain is the king, not the social media handle owner. Social media handle can be claimed anytime by trademark owners.
same for domains...
the owner of a trademark is the king, not the domain handle owner.

•••
Auction.Com

Do you know the process of the same? To contact the social media sites and ask for that particular handle? What if that particular handle is a popular one with lots of followers?

•••
•••
I saw the usernames domain that sold yesterday

it could easily be a multibillion dollar website if either its new owner is a tech entrepreneur or it goes on to be sold to a tech entrepreneur

•••
The domain is more valuable.

My background was originally in web and social media presence for bloggers and small businesses. We ran into the issue a lot that the social handle would be taken even if the Domain was available but there is a super easy workaround.

Instead of the username “auction” you just use auctionofficial which actually adds validity to the social media handle.

Xxxxofficial doesn’t have the same ring for domains though.

•••
Auction.Com

That is definitely false. I know people that has shown Twitter trademark legal papers and still couldn't get the Twitter handle name. Twitter & Instagram started deactivating account names but they do not always hand them over. If the account is pretending to be your business, then they will give the name to you and on a case by case situation dealing with inactive accounts. But if none of those two apply they do not just take someone name and give them to you. I recently got the name of an inactive Twitter account 2 weeks ago by the way.

Last edited:
•••
I will say if you are looking to get valuable social media handles, go for Instagram. Instagram is one of the more active social media platforms. I purchased a 1 word instagram handle account for $1,200. I don't use the account as much because Im not a big fan of social media but I have a Mailchimp link in my IG account to collect emails. I collect approximately 4 emails a day even If I haven't posted in a month. I now have 537 emails collected.

I am planning on buying the 1 word domain name in .org or .net for business though, but yeah...Instagram is the way to go.

Last edited:
•••
Just gonna throw it out there: https://namechk.com/ is a great tool to check for the sm handles and domain availability in one place.

•••
Domains will have authority over any third party usernames, social media handles are illegal to sell on most successful social networks. Not worth the headache, look at Rand Fishkins' domainsherpa episode. Business owners will eventually have their website as a home base, as it should be. Social networks are just for noise and crossmarketing imho.

•••
Domains will have authority over any third party usernames, social media handles are illegal to sell on most successful social networks. Not worth the headache, look at Rand Fishkins' domainsherpa episode. Business owners will eventually have their website as a home base, as it should be. Social networks are just for noise and crossmarketing imho.

I agree - to take it a step further you can control a domain name/website far more than a social media username on a platform out of your control.Twitter could be irrelevant, or be replaced by a better platform in 10 years from now for all we know.

•••
•••
I'll take the domain any day. You are not limited to what you can do with a domain and are not at the mercy of Twitter's TOS.

Brad

•••
It's against the Twitter rules to buy and sell Twitter handles.

Auction.Com

You're getting confused with domains and trademarks. A trademark can be used to claim a Twitter handle, I've done it before. A domain, you cannot. It proves nothing and proves no legal right to a name in trade.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back